Sony servers are restarting in:
They should be back up in approximately .

[1.xx] Islidox's Build tips/critique section for Rangers

Great stuff, thanks Isli - lots of good points here for the virtual young and old.

My one comment would be: take note of Chris' warning about the leaked patch notes.

Don't wake up on 23 Jan with a fully fixed notion of your OB build. Take the time to read and think about the patch notes, and adjust if (and as) requried.

Petrov.
"
mrpetrov wrote:
Great stuff, thanks Isli - lots of good points here for the virtual young and old.

My one comment would be: take note of Chris' warning about the leaked patch notes.

Don't wake up on 23 Jan with a fully fixed notion of your OB build. Take the time to read and think about the patch notes, and adjust if (and as) requried.

Petrov.

Thanks. :)

Petrov here brings up a very valid point. You MUST read the new patch notes to see what changes affect you, and then make decisions from there.

For those who plan to copy any of the builds I've posted, please take screenshots because when the new passive skilltree arrives, all the old build links will be invalidated by the new tree!
For Ranger build tips, tactics, and critiques, visit this thread:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/69224
So I looked through these Ranger builds, and all I saw was bow usage. Can't Rangers use daggers as well? Or does it suck? =/
Because I was thinking of Shadow first, but they're further away from Iron Reflexes.

Anyway, an answer would be appreciated
"
Sandercd wrote:
So I looked through these Ranger builds, and all I saw was bow usage. Can't Rangers use daggers as well? Or does it suck? =/
Because I was thinking of Shadow first, but they're further away from Iron Reflexes.

Haha, I should've put in a disclaimer that this thread (build-wise) is meant for bow users.

The reason why I don't concern myself with melee is because of the difficulty in gearing them up compared to a standard bow-user. The Melee Physical Damage, Added Fire Damage, and Melee Damage on Full Life support gems are not given to Rangers as a quest reward (may change for OB) and as such you would need to roll other toons to obtain such items to properly gear up.

The other issue with Daggers and Claws alike is their inherent need for Int. Daggers moreso have a higher Int requirements than claws and as such is not easy to build with, but it can be done.

Here's a build I believe can work, utilizing IR:
I wonder why Piercing Shots are not utilized more often in currently popular builds presented here?

Piercing support gem seems to work very well in conjunction with Piercing Shots. It is cheap support gem that adds ability to AOE mobs without much effort. It also works great with Lightning Arrow.

I got my ranger to Merciless this Sunday. I now struggle a lot because my gear is pretty terrible both defense and offense-wise, therefore, I wonder what are the stats one should aim for at lvl 52 (DPS mainhand, HP, armor, elem res., etc)?

Here is my build. I started without any knowledge but tried to fix it with info I got from here. It is far from perfect but I like a general purpose builds rather than specialized builds. Can it work for early end-game?
"

Rangers can indeed be melee, but if you want to use daggers i would suggest the shadow starting area since there is a lot more dagger nodes clustered around there.

By no means rangers can't use daggers but i just feel the Shadow starting area would be much more viable. I think many rangers go towards the sword type since blood magic and many more health nodes are situated around there
"I am not in danger, Skyler. I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!" - Walter White
"
Heavymetal_ wrote:
"

Rangers can indeed be melee, but if you want to use daggers i would suggest the shadow starting area since there is a lot more dagger nodes clustered around there.

By no means rangers can't use daggers but i just feel the Shadow starting area would be much more viable. I think many rangers go towards the sword type since blood magic and many more health nodes are situated around there

Off to shadow board I go!
thanks
The dilemma I'm having is; do i go Elemental/Split? If i do i will have to rely on a rare gem drop or trading for a very sought after gem. OR do i go Frenzy/Split, where i can rely on my quest rewards.

EDIT1: Spelling
"I am not in danger, Skyler. I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!" - Walter White
Last edited by Heavymetal_ on Jan 21, 2013, 11:11:44 AM
"
Heavymetal_ wrote:
The dilemma I'm having is; do i go Elemental/Split? If i do i will have to rely on a rare gem drop or trading for a very sought after gem. OR do i go Frenzy/Split, where i can rely on my quest rewards.

EDIT1: Spelling

I would definitely stick with Frenzy or Burning Arrow for single target until you can get Elemental Hit. Better to have a plan B than none at all, especially in the case of OB.
"
Baron01 wrote:
I wonder why Piercing Shots are not utilized more often in currently popular builds presented here?

Piercing support gem seems to work very well in conjunction with Piercing Shots. It is cheap support gem that adds ability to AOE mobs without much effort. It also works great with Lightning Arrow.

I got my ranger to Merciless this Sunday. I now struggle a lot because my gear is pretty terrible both defense and offense-wise, therefore, I wonder what are the stats one should aim for at lvl 52 (DPS mainhand, HP, armor, elem res., etc)?

Here is my build. I started without any knowledge but tried to fix it with info I got from here. It is far from perfect but I like a general purpose builds rather than specialized builds. Can it work for early end-game?

The main problems I see are the lack of life and mana. As such, to continue where you left off, I'd get more life, then the Mana Flows to Leather&Steel, then finally Deadly Draw. Build at 85 points:

Piercing Shots can be useful, especially with Split Arrow and Poison Arrow into dense packs, but you have to build it in mind.

Updated my second "builds" post with an Elemental OB build courtesy of mrpetrov.
Last edited by Islidox on Jan 21, 2013, 4:29:41 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info