PoEStatistics.com - extended statistics

"
Droggeltasse wrote:
"
typen22 wrote:
Really nice site, thanks!

To tinfoil hat ppl.... Only your friends whom YOU'VE told your in-game char name, can "track" you in anyway (in real life that is). sheesh... Those stat will come in handy when ppl are looking for people to party with (you cant lie about your online game time ect.).

I really can't see what gets some of you "worried"...

As you might have noticed, gaming becomes a more and more mainstream hobby that is done by many people. People in "the office" start to talk about games sometimes and it cant be hard to imagine that people play together with their co-workers and or superiors.
You dont have to be a lazy... that doesnt go to work to see that there could be a problem if your "boss" can see what you did after work. And to be honest that is no ones business anyway.

Sites like this have no "real" advantage and are just meaningless stats you can look into for a minute to puddle your e-peen when used properly. The drawbacks on the other hand are much more severe and can even prevent you from playing with other people that you know, so they cant see your stats, simply because they are not the kind of people you want to share your online history with.

Also the "tinfoil" guy has a point about the impressum and lack of removal function since it could be relevant from a legal point of view. You just have to hope for the owner of the site that he is based in a country where there are not quick ways act against something like that. In germany for example he could get a adhortatory letter with a fine and lawyer fee of a few hundred euros in about a week, if "tinfoil hat guy" would make a free phone call about the issue.
Its dumb to believe that the site would be protected by the PoE ToS since they only protect GGG for giving away the information, but not other party who displays it. On top of that ToS agreements are not legally enforceable in all countries. If the owner of the site is based in europe it could be possible that the ToS or parts of it are void anyway.(not that it would matter for PoEstatistics.com since they are not protected by the ToS anyway)

Dont get me wrong i have no personal problem with the service, but i can understand why some people have and if i would be in a different position i would probably have a problem with it too. So dont dismiss someone as "tinfoil hat guy" only because some problems dont affect you personally.

I am not directly associated with any of the tracking sites, but I would want to encourage this aggregate "collecting data".

I am a bit baffled: What is it exactly that is problematic about this?

Your username is readily available through the website and I see that as a fine choice.
Your character ingame in a competitive game will always be relevant to track position of in a ladder, including its class, level and experience. I cannot see a problem in that unless you are really protective about your character-name!
Time used is a pretty rough estimate and probably not very telling. It can be used against the rumours of account sharing we have seen so often in the week+ races (at least show some "downtime")! As soon as we get to races, that would seem to be an advantageous feature for anyone not botting or account sharing...
As for the cummulative stats over time, I can see why people would be a bit concerned. I would claim though, that it is a natural feature to track and I have seen it used in a plethora of other more or less competitive computer-games.
Now the bundling of information about account name and character name is a possible issue for recognition, but since you can simply create more accounts if you want to hideyourass.com, to quote a website, you can counter some of the aliasing. Nobody is getting information about you as a person or any identifying characteristics identifying even your country. Therefore I do not see anything wrong with the situation.

If you are going to make an argument for removing some information from such trackers, at least tell what the problematic informations are and why. That is how you avoid being called a tin-foil hatter. I just cannot see the angle here!

Are these other sites problematic too?
http://www.sc2ranks.com/
http://www.worldofwargraphs.com/
http://competitive.na.leagueoflegends.com/ladders/eune/archived/1/rankedsolo5x5
I appear to be living in "Romance Standard Time". That has to be good! :)
The site is interesting but does not show a lot of data that appear in the statistics.
CASUAL GAMER
"
radiatoren wrote:

This is the world upside down. Why do we have to explain to anybody our reasons? This is a fundamental privacy issue, and our given right to ask for. It is the same with stuff like Facebook. When I go out, and friends have this uncontrollable urge to take pictures, fine. But do not put them up on your facebook for all to see. Nothing worse then colleagues asking me why I was so drunk last saturday. Unlike some of you apparently, my private life is mine, and not for all the world to see.

Again, when GGG comes with features like that (and it is within the laws of privacy) then sure. It is my duty to know their product and choose whether I want to be a part of that or not. But some random scriptkiddy putting up yet another website showing MY activity in a game I play, no thank you.
"
Ferumbras wrote:
Again, when GGG comes with features like that (and it is within the laws of privacy) then sure. It is my duty to know their product and choose whether I want to be a part of that or not. But some random scriptkiddy putting up yet another website showing MY activity in a game I play, no thank you.

GGG already implemented features like that.

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/71276
Last edited by glh5 on Feb 5, 2013, 7:53:44 AM
"
Ferumbras wrote:
"
radiatoren wrote:

This is the world upside down. Why do we have to explain to anybody our reasons? This is a fundamental privacy issue, and our given right to ask for. It is the same with stuff like Facebook. When I go out, and friends have this uncontrollable urge to take pictures, fine. But do not put them up on your facebook for all to see. Nothing worse then colleagues asking me why I was so drunk last saturday. Unlike some of you apparently, my private life is mine, and not for all the world to see.

With regards to Facebook: I am not on Facebook exactly because of the privacy issues! That the information is personally identifiable is the problem there.
I do play Starcraft 2 at times though and I do not care about sc2stats.com tracking me, since it is not personal information. On this site it is even free to create several accounts. That will make the colleagues asking questions void unless you are careless enough to tell them about your other accounts...

As for features/information GGG makes available it is an important question to ask what you do not want? Just ranting about some undefined "fundamental privacy issue" that you cannot define/explain is impossible to develop a policy around! That is why I am still asking: What is problematic about this?
I dont get the point of this arguments against people who complain. If their data is displayed on a third party site and they want it removed for whatever reason there is no argument to side against them. Why would you? Why should the site be allowed to display their data without asking?

This is no abstract problem or "fundamental privacy issue" if someone wants his data removed its not your business to ask why because his reasons are his own and not your business.

The only argument you could make is that he does not have to play PoE and should suggest GGG that they fix the privacy issue on their end or he will not use their service. This would be fine so far and makes alot of sense, but it does not make the 3rd party service any less problematic. Also it is no argument in favor of the service since as i said before sharing data with 3rd parties on the GGG side is one thing, but that does not legitimize everything the third party does with it.

But there is no point in discussing this here anyway. The best first step for everyone who has a problem with this service would be to write a formal email to GGG with your concerns and ask for a answere and their position on the problem. And write a formal email to the contact of the site and ask for your data to be removed.

If that does not help you should maybe start a another thread on the problem independent from the side regarding the problem with the GGG policy.

(For "tinfoil hat guy" since he seems to be german it would also be possible to contact the lokal "Verbraucherschutzzentrale" and ask them what he should do about the issue with the site since the owner is most likely from poland and the side has no valid impressum wich is mainly a german requirement and not internation standard)
Last edited by Droggeltasse on Feb 5, 2013, 4:29:31 PM
According to the law we do not show any private data. It's true we do not have privacy policy or terms of use, in the near future we will try to place it. Remember, however, that this is hobby website, profits from the ads are barely enough to cover server costs.

By the way we are preparing a tool to assist trade in the game.
http://poetools.com/ - PATH OF EXILE TOOLS
Last edited by kompostownik on Feb 5, 2013, 3:13:46 PM
"
Droggeltasse wrote:
I dont get the point of this arguments against people who complain. If their data is displayed on a third party site and they want it removed for whatever reason there is no argument to side against them. Why would you? Why should the site be allowed to display their data without asking?

This is no abstract problem or "fundamental privacy issue" if someone wants his data removed its not your business to ask why because his reasons are his own and not your business.

The only argument you could make is that he does not have to play PoE and should suggest GGG that they fix the privacy issue on their end or he will not use their service. This would be fine so far and makes alot of sense, but it does not make the 3rd party service any less problematic. Also it is no argument in favor of the service since as i said before sharing data with 3rd parties on the GGG side is one thing, but that does not legitimize everything the third party does with it.

But there is no point in discussing this here anyway. The best first step for everyone who has a problem with this service would be to write a formal email to GGG with your concerns and ask for a answere and their position on the problem. And write a formal email to the contact of the site and ask for your data to be removed.

If that does not help you should maybe start a another thread on the problem independent from the side regarding the problem with the GGG policy.

(For "tinfoil hat guy" since he seems to be german it would also be possible to contact the lokal "Verbraucherschutzzentrale" and ask them what he should do about the issue with the site since the owner is most likely from poland and the side has no valid impressum wich is mainly a german requirement and not internation standard)

The argument is not against people here. What I am arguing is that data freely available on the internet is pretty darn hard to get rid of in any kind of capacity and that poestatistics.com is not even the third site doing this for POE (closer to fifth or higher that I am aware of)... Also, the data are represented in a form on this site which is making the subject, more of a question about what GGGs policies are here. That was exactly what I wanted a discussion about. I thought I made it pretty clear that "fundamental privacy issue" is not specific enough for them to a policy around and I would rather keep the discussion open. If they want to keep their reasons private, well so be it. As you say: Let them raise the concern in PMs. I would just rather have such discussions in the forum to avoid levels of secrecy about these issues preventing a good solution from being reached because of fear and uncertainty about privacy.
I hate privacy nutters. I have a website developed in my free time, that provides a great value to thousands of people, completely free. People register accounts by their own will. Every now and then there is someone asking me to delete "their" account. They have one freaking row in a database, with a *nickname*, and email that they can edit easily themselves to something random and just move on. There is nothing private whatsoever in a random nickname, but they are adamant it is "THEIR" account and waste my time for no good reason.

Without fail these people send me one line emails, with the assumption that as a hobby website developer I somehow owe them my time, these losers never bother to say something nice, or thank me for taking care of "their" account.

If someone's nickname is their real name, that may be a privacy issue. You can solve that with GGG support. Otherwise nobody gives a damn how much hours you play or when you are connected, quit being such drama queens.

Anyway...

Actually I have a suggestion that could sort of help with this..

I have bookmarked my account name so I like to visit the page to watch my character progression.

And I have those level 1 temporary characters that are deleted already, which I use sometimes to get a skill gem. I wished I could remove them.

Hence I was wondering... how would you "authenticate" the players behind those accounts?

So I figured perhaps one way you could do it is by giving a random character name, and then ask the player to create that character, get to the encampment, and then a few hours later maybe the site can verify. Kinda like Google Analytics verifies you are owner of a web domain.

So once you can do that, then you could have people willingly enable the day-to-day play time, if they don't like people seeing the online times?

Brilliant site guys!

There's definitely a lot of potential if you can authenticate the player's and give them some control on their character pages... although at one point you are going to run into GGG's tracks maybe. But that's your business not mine =)
Last edited by DeF46 on Feb 12, 2013, 9:55:20 PM
Btw, here is "my" oh so important page, it's all about ME ME ME. Go go stalk me. Oh noes I'm in such danger right now. I'm so scared.

http://poestatistics.com/users/def46/

If you care so much about being invisible on the web, create unique nicknames that are different from one service to another. So no one can track the oh-so-important you.

If I Google my nickname "def46" right now I can find at least SIX accounts on first page of results, and not one of them is actually me. In fact even Google'ing my REAL name and surname will list several people who are not the person writing this post.

You realize that by merely posting on this forum you are leaving a trace with that nickname of yours, how do you make sense of that privacy issue?
Last edited by DeF46 on Feb 12, 2013, 10:07:10 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info