We have to go deeper.

Congrats Reader!! I was really hoping one of many suggestins would make it, but blah can't always win! Enjoy the beta!! Thanks for giving back to the community IMDissapoint!!
I would suggest giving the key away to a person that is willing to work at the game themselves and have lots of knowledge even prior to getting to play the game. Have a sort of PoE knowledge contest.

I haven't had a chance to play yet, but I have read a ton and looked into the classes, monsters, acts, skill system, and know what I want to do and have an idea of how to do it.

The key should be given away to someone who is willing to put in the work themselves and not just constantly ask people "How do i shot web!?" not literally that question, but you get the idea.

A player who knows the game already will be able to give the correct kind of feedback once they get to play the game.

Just my thoughts
My idea: Make a really hard puzzle / code for people to crack. And the cracked code itself would be the beta key :)
...did you know?...
I know this is kinda out there, but what about cooking a recipe inspired by PoE. I remember they had a contest like this for Aion, where people cooked stuff and made it sound like something from the lore.

For example, lets say you are using D2 lore, you could make Gargantuan steaks (would be beef of course).

In this contest you would have to list the recipe you used, and post a picture to see if it looks like something right from PoE. Who knows, maybe it even tastes good.
Hey IMDisappoint,

Nice going on winning the ladder on the weekend! I've been mulling over your competition, and trying to come up with approaches that could a) make some small contribution to Path of Exile and b) try to distract the poor folks who are waiting for a beta key. If only for a little while.

I came up with a fan fiction contest. Not an original idea, sure, but certainly fits with the goals above. And it's always nice to try and put the
'R' back into ARPG. Here's what I got:

---Start Contest Post---

Fan Fiction Contest: The Paragon and her Journal

Precious little is known about Wraeclast. From the continents's history, to its heroes or even its less savoury inhabitants, details are thin. Perhaps you can help...

"
Wraeclast is an ancient continent of nearly endless intrigue and mystery. While no concrete encyclopedia exists that documents the island's myriad regions and inhabitants, we have located the journal of the renowned explorer known only as "The Paragon". Her recovered writings recount a journey from Wraeclast's savage beaches to its dark and deadly interior, an undertaking of great peril, difficulty and reward.

Who was this enigmatic figure, "The Paragon"? How was her journal recovered, or lost, and what became of her? Did she work alone, or (as more people joined the beta) did she join forces with cunning, exotic companions?

The Prize: One bona fide closed beta invitation.

The Contest: Write a short story about The Paragon or her journal.

Entries must include: -

Title: Anything from an intriguing hook to just a practical label. As long as you got one.
Content: Must be related, however obscurely, to "The Paragon" or her journal. Just think, if it's really good, the developers might even incorporate your ideas in the final build!
Word Count: 200 words or less. Include your word count in your post, but not in your word count.

Due Date: Contest closes two weeks from the thread being posted, at which point a winning entry will be chosen.

---End Contest Post---

Obviously you'd need someone to adjudicate the competition. I know fan fiction is not everyone's cup of tea, so if you're not up for it, I'm sure there would be no shortage of volunteers. Me, for instance. =]

Cheers,
Aki

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info