Arc

"
CanHasPants wrote:
"
Strill wrote:
1/2% chance per quality to shock on hit? That's all? Man that's only like 2/3rds of a skill point at max quality.

Combine that with Arc's inherent chance to shock, Conductivity, 20% chance toshockt from passives, a few of the really easy access / big bang for your buck crit chance nodes, and an Elemental Proliferation support gem and.... Hmmm. 50% damage effectiveness and 40% less damage from Chaining support goes away pretty quickly ;) Can't add too much more % chance to shock, as there's already so many ways to stack quite a lot of it to begin with.
Ok I was confusing shock duration with chance to shock. Looks like there's only 25% chance to shock from passives.
20% above Witch is relatively easy to access (a few points out of the way but worth it if it suits your build). The 5% in Shadow area is quite a skillgrimage, and not really worth it unless starting as shadow or speccing specifically for a combination of cast speed, projectile and / or spell damage.

Still, that should be roughly 50% chance to shock, and with quality added lightning damage it shouldn't be too hard to build up a good duration on it too (vs rares+)
Devolving Wilds
Land
“T, Sacrifice Devolving Wilds: Search your library for a basic land card and reveal it. Then shuffle your library.”
"
CanHasPants wrote:
20% above Witch is relatively easy to access (a few points out of the way but worth it if it suits your build). The 5% in Shadow area is quite a skillgrimage, and not really worth it unless starting as shadow or speccing specifically for a combination of cast speed, projectile and / or spell damage.

Still, that should be roughly 50% chance to shock, and with quality added lightning damage it shouldn't be too hard to build up a good duration on it too (vs rares+)
I would think that crit is the most relevant stat in the shadow area, which gives even more chance to shock.
Last edited by Strill on Nov 17, 2012, 6:32:18 PM
Not with a 4% base chance to crit, though ;)

I was largely disregarding the Shadow's 5% shock because two of the three reasons a skillgrimage to their starting area are irrelevant to Arc: 3x 8% projectile damage passives and crit chance. Great place to head to for Spark on the other hand.
Devolving Wilds
Land
“T, Sacrifice Devolving Wilds: Search your library for a basic land card and reveal it. Then shuffle your library.”
Does cast speed affect Arc?

*Supported with Faster cast speed gem.
...Yes. It's a Spell, it has a Cast time.
"
Kligan wrote:
I just got an idea.
How about make an arc bouncing off the caster? I mean, when there is nothing else to hit on the screen beside the target, then arc could bounce off the caster back to the target (hit the target - bounce - hit the target).
In that case arc could be used like decent single-target skill.

I like this idea.
The mechanics or Arc could even be further expanded to give you a power charge when arc hits the caster. possibly with a cd on the effect to prevent it from being exploited.
Last edited by Kryptonic on Nov 27, 2012, 8:27:33 PM
Works really well with frost wall. Works even better than ground slam + frost wall.
"
Kryptonic wrote:
"
Kligan wrote:
I just got an idea.
How about make an arc bouncing off the caster? I mean, when there is nothing else to hit on the screen beside the target, then arc could bounce off the caster back to the target (hit the target - bounce - hit the target).
In that case arc could be used like decent single-target skill.

I like this idea.
The mechanics or Arc could even be further expanded to give you a power charge when arc hits the caster. possibly with a cd on the effect to prevent it from being exploited.

+1, we need more unique ways to gain power charges, and this could fulfill that role in a flavorful way. Much in line with Blood Rage's "self sacrifice" theme. It wouldn't be terribly abusable with Arc alone, given the low base crit chance.

On the other hand, I'm curious how this skill would work if it were to "expend" its additional chains (at further reduced damage) on the last hit target, when no other targets are in range. Could resolve some of the issues we're having with the skill (high mana cost, low damage, still no good long range single target lightning spells...), and it doesn't quite make sense to me that whatever "charged energy" the spell has stored, which allows it to chain, would simply disappear when no other targets are nearby.

Edit: I've been using this on my Spork shadow, and so far my opinion is that Spark is 10x better in every day: mana cost, damage potential, single target "shotgun" damage, casting speed, crit rate, chance to shock, and area damage with Fork. The only thing Arc has on Spark (and why I use it) is that it can target foes around obstacles / on the other side of a cliff wall.
Devolving Wilds
Land
Last edited by CanHasPants on Nov 30, 2012, 3:03:01 PM
"
CanHasPants wrote:

Edit: I've been using this on my Spork shadow, and so far my opinion is that Spark is 10x better in every day: mana cost, damage potential, single target "shotgun" damage, casting speed, crit rate, chance to shock, and area damage with Fork. The only thing Arc has on Spark (and why I use it) is that it can target foes around obstacles / on the other side of a cliff wall.

Confirmed for absolute 100% truth.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info