[1.0] Queen_Frostburn | AoF Burning Dual Ice Spear Totems | No longer Updated

You can not gain power charges by a totem ice spear, he will have one totem that he casts two times, then the ice spear he casts him self (no totem) to gain crit charges. His second ice spear should not be leveled, so it costs very low mana and can be cast pretty much non-stop.

The idea: drop two totems, spam personal ice spear, watch totems destroy everything around you.
im thinking of dropping some nodes to get the +1 power charge + 2% spell dmg per charge from with tree, i think they should be included just dont know which nodes to drop yet
Exiled for Eternity
So, I ended up changing things quite a bit. The basic difference is that we go static blows and try to shock (stack) due to our crits. I guess to start, here's the tree:

Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgABBAcIZw5IES8RlhJpFdcWQBa_FxwXVBpsHNwdqh8CIoEpTyoTLJwspiynLL8tHy2oNAo2xTbYN2Y62DvhQ2NEq0ZxRtdMs03YVa5WY1j1WfNdxl3yXl1gbWaeZ71tGXBScLtw1XFNcXl_xoFvgpuDCYV9hq6HZYfbiBuIQouMjHaOPI5kj0aPppDWkyeZmprPm6GcLZ2uncSePKKjo_KnCKcrp5SxkLQMtQS297b6tzG3dbfWuJPAGsBRwcXB88MTw23Q0NH914bYJNtZ3fPhc-GI4vfjhOQi62PsGOw47FXtIO4V7m_vhfId8-r06fem

First, I found a few general improvements:
1) Why not get elementalist? Seems a given
2) Swap out the top of the big energy shield nodes as well as the two int nodes to the left for the arcane focus route + 3 int nodes above the witch. This results in +10 int and 10% ES recovery, but the big advantage is it puts you right next to the spell damage (next to the area of effect nodes above the witch)
3) I took out the cast speed above the Scion in favor of the spell damage and harrier. This does require 2 extra points, but I think it's worth it due to the movement speed at expense of 3% casting speed, let alone to the advantage to shock it gives that I'll explain next.
4) I got Body and Soul in exchange for crit chance and some mana reservation. More on this next.

Most of those general improvements will also be applicable to the original build; we're basically optimizing existing stat preferences.

Now, as for the big differences in thinking. First, to shock you must do lightning damage (even with the 'chance to shock' nodes, the duration is dependent on the lightning damage you do). Avatar of Fire, unfortunately, would prevent that. So we must remove it.

With AoF removed and shock stacking in mind, now we're trying to improve our elemental/spell damage in general. This is probably the major difference in thinking of my modifications. As a result, I removed Blaze. I ended up keeping Fire Walker mainly because there were no more accessible spell/elemental damage nodes that I see to swap it with.

An extra benefit to this route is that our fire trap will also benefit from elemental damage as well as spell damage. Due to this, we can remove the trap-specific damage nodes just above conduit in favor of general the spell/elemental damage nodes above the witch that I mentioned earlier.

The last big change I made was to remove any critical chance specific nodes. The whole reason we're using Ice Spear is because it has a crazy crit chance to begin with. That should enable us to use the crit chance nodes that you would need with a different skill somewhere else more effective. I used them to get the elemental damage nodes by the templar.

Lastly, I did end up speccing out of Sovereignty for an extra 2 points. This has the effect of lowering reduced mana reserve from 16 to 10, and aura effect from 12 to 8.

I plan on using searing touch, although perhaps daggers with high crit multiplier would be preferable or something. I'm also not planning on really using power charges; I think that the benefits of speccing into them in addition to the hassle of keeping them up aren't worth it, but I'd be happy to be swayed :-)

Some questions I have:
A) Will we end up freezing enemies and breaking them? I heard somewhere that this will stop the burning as well for those that are proliferated.
B) Would the mana regen node at the start of the templar be necessary? Probably depends on the gear.
C) Auras? They weren't mentioned in the original build, but I'm assuming... Clarity / Discipline + Purity?
D) Curses? I'm thinking elemental weakness *might* come out ahead due to the boon it gives to shock stacking. I suppose it depends on if you have enough lightning damage to get the shock stacks or not (if you do, definitely go with vulnerability).
E) In general, I'm not sure if we should be prioritizing crit multiplier a bit more than I have here (instead of elemental/spell damage). I spent a fair bit on the maths, but I'm just not sure.

Thoughts? :-)
IGN - Wanderers
Shop thread - http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/380127
i realy think this is an awesome build, so lets push it back on the first page :P
“We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars. But we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off.”
Is this HC viable and how is it as a first character with no gear whatsover :X..
Has anyone actually tried this? Looks awesome.
"
Unislash wrote:
So, I ended up changing things quite a bit. The basic difference is that we go static blows and try to shock (stack) due to our crits.
Some questions I have:
A) Will we end up freezing enemies and breaking them? I heard somewhere that this will stop the burning as well for those that are proliferated.
B) Would the mana regen node at the start of the templar be necessary? Probably depends on the gear.
C) Auras? They weren't mentioned in the original build, but I'm assuming... Clarity / Discipline + Purity?
D) Curses? I'm thinking elemental weakness *might* come out ahead due to the boon it gives to shock stacking. I suppose it depends on if you have enough lightning damage to get the shock stacks or not (if you do, definitely go with vulnerability).
E) In general, I'm not sure if we should be prioritizing crit multiplier a bit more than I have here (instead of elemental/spell damage). I spent a fair bit on the maths, but I'm just not sure.

Thoughts? :-)

First of All, thanks for the general interest in the build, now to answer your questions:
1)Yes, Shattered enemies will not Proliferate any more.
2)I don't think it will, so you could swap it out for something more useful.
3)Thought I forgot something. The main idea would be to use Disc+Purity, then if mana allowed, Clarity.
4)Ele Weakness for sure were you dropped AoF, and it is preferred by parties.
5)I don't usually build Crit Multi, just get Crit Chance nodes and if Crit Multi is added into those then its a plus.

"
davidx91 wrote:
Is this HC viable and how is it as a first character with no gear whatsover :X..

It could be Hardcore viable, if you prioritize Es/Res over damage, and maybe swap some nodes to more ES, but for me its hard to say what is good for a first character, because others input on it will be different. It would be safer I think to just do a plain Ice Spear, with no Cold to fire, or AoF. So the tree could look something like this if you roll a Scion. Made it Tanky with 207% ES(More than what I would use, personally), and without the use of Power Charges to keep it simple. The amount of ES% from the tree should keep you alive in HC. I also added Zealot's Oath and picked up 2% Life Regen which will convert to your ES Regen, so you can Regen while in combat.

"
jjjoness wrote:
Has anyone actually tried this? Looks awesome.

I'm SLOWLY working on this myself. Why? I am a slow leveler in general. And I am also working on multiple Theory crafts at the same time (I'm an Altaholic). I may get around to finishing this build, but I mainly wanted to share my idea with the community.
"Just because you can't see the path through the forest doesn't mean using a bulldozer is the most efficient way through." -Rhys
Hey, thanks for the build Zakktb ;-)

"
5)I don't usually build Crit Multi, just get Crit Chance nodes and if Crit Multi is added into those then its a plus.

The thing is, our crit chance is already stupid high with ice spear. We don't really need any more of it. Those points should be put elsewhere, and if they were to go into 'damage', the question is if it should be into crit multiplier or just straight up damage. (in the build I linked, I put it into pure damage)

If we're doing most of our damage through burning, we should be thinking mainly of our crit damage. This is because only one burn can take effect at once, and it's always the most damaging one (which would be the one procced by our crit).

So, all of that said, with a 60+ crit chance what do you think would give us more damage when we crit? The nodes in question would be the equivalent of 39% damage for 70% increased Crit multi.

In any case, I am also trying out this build and will report my progress :-)

Thanks again Zakktb
IGN - Wanderers
Last edited by Unislash on Oct 28, 2013, 10:07:06 PM
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgABt9YIZ9tZLaixkIMJRnHhiB2qtAw0CjdmLKaQ1pMnHNx_xsHFLL-GrhXX14ZWY-wYw20RlnC72RMvb6brN4Pquij66-64k6cIj0bQ0Juh99esmBSwOjA5Urw3Tm1YB6eU0f1eXdgkNsU22O-FiBvsVZ2uEmkXHHF5GmzkIilPgptnvYhC8h04G7UEXcZG1-w4OthN2Ix2hX0WQGaecU2az0NjtzFY9Z3EEds=

this is how id work ur build. Ive been considering something like this myself. (keep in mind u should make a build based on 80 points because thats more realistic. Also dual curse is important because temporal chains will increase the burn duraction, freeze duration, and shock duration while also working as a defensive curse. Also elemental weakness.

Using a searing touch probably.
Last edited by Lordzero2 on Oct 29, 2013, 1:08:24 AM
Hmm, yea, that looks viable as well. Thanks for the input :-)

In the end, you're trading 48% spell damage for Whispers of Doom, which does increase the damage from burn by 50% (via the added temporal chains). Unfortunately this extra damage is just a result of the burn lasting longer, meaning that the mobs are alive for actually longer than they would be should you have just taken the damage. Also, although we do a lot of damage from the burn, approx 1/3 of the damage is done by the original hit, which temporal chains doesn't benefit. With that said, although I haven't actually played a dual curse burning build before, I would lean towards the damage.

As for shock duration, I'm not sure how the math works out, but I'd guess temporal chains is probably more effective at it. However, it does require you to cast an extra curse for every pack, reducing your clear time :-).

It may very well be that whispers of doom is a very effective route to take (especially in maps due to the mob slowdown), but I would rather take out the stuff by the shadow before taking out the nodes in the middle of the witch tree.

Also, it's interesting that you would go for the dual hexes before the dual totems. Any reasoning behind that?

Does that all make sense? Let me know if I'm thinking about this the wrong way :-)

As for planning a build with 80 points... well, I prefer to do 110+. For me, it's generally an easy judgement call when it comes to where I should head as I'm leveling--it's easy for me to see what is simply hopeful thinking in the build vs what's absolutely essential. On the other hand, if your build is stretching to simply make essential keystones under 80, then you've got a problem.

IGN - Wanderers

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info