[1.0] Queen_Frostburn | AoF Burning Dual Ice Spear Totems | No longer Updated

With the given of a new class and the return of Avatar of Fire, in its revamped state, I thought it would be a cool idea to do a massive crit burn damage build, but, by not only using fire traps, but also utilizing the AoF Keystone, and the infrequently used Support gem, Cold to Fire.

The Build:
This build uses Ice Spear totems for the massive crit strikes in its second form. This will allow use to achieve many crits with specific totem placement. In order to achieve Ice Spear's Second Form, its has to be about 10 yards away from the target, which is reasonable and easily achievable.

Now, here is the build with leveling intervals of 10 points each:
Original Build

This Build also utilizes Power charges for more crit. Hence why we pick up power charges.
If you don't want to gather power charges, you can swap out the power charge nodes in the templar for 2 int nodes, to save you a point in the transition to CI, the changes can be seen here. Just follow the rest of the point intervals as you see fit.

These 10 points until around 72 Points is going to be a leveling spec. Just saying.
10 Point
20 Point
30 Point
40 Point
50 Point
60 Point
70 Points
Switching to Chaos Inoculation

I recommend having around 1K Energy shield at the time of the switch. This will equate to around, 2K Energy Shield. People may argue that having 2k, or even 2,5k is necessary, but I dont think so. Use This for the switch.

80 Points
90 Points
90 Points+

After 90 Points, I recommend getting the burn damage nodes first, to amplify your DPS, then get the trap nodes last.

Build Variations

Conduit

For the Conduit Variation, all you really need to do is add in two points to the 80 Point, for an extra Endurance charge, and Conduit itself. So the build should look like This

Low-Life

This build tends to be costly, mainly because of the Shavronne's Wrappings.(35-50 Ex After Nerf, 75-125 for Legacy). I will place out the passives in 25 Point interval's.
1-75 Points will be a leveling spec (Optional).
25 Points
50 Points
75 Points
84 Points (Transition to Low Life)
85 Points+

Life-Based

Yes, Life-Based. This build Concept started as Life Based to be honest. The tree looks very different compared to the other Variations. As well as I recommend using a Staff of some sort and using a Kaom's for the increased fire damage. Also, Iron Will(Support Gem) could be used in this situation. Will plan out the skill tree in 25 Point intervals.
25 Points
50 Points
75 Points
90 Points
90 Points+

I was thinking about a Taryn's Shiver for this build, but maybe a Regular staff would be a better option. And the Kaom's Heart is Optional, but the 500 Life, and increased Fire damage would be pretty nice.

Bandits:
If you are following the build and want to use Power Charges, then your bandits should look like this:
  • Normal: Kill all
  • Cruel: Kill All
  • Merciless: Help Alira

If you are following the build and Don't want to use Power Charges, instead of helping Alira, just kill her for the skill point.

If you are going Life-Based, I recommend the following Bandits:
  • Normal: Help Oak
  • Merciless: Kill All (Or Help Oak, If you want to run Endurance Charges)

Gear Recommendations and Skill Links:
Basically just look for high crit gear, High Es, and High Resistances.
Void Battery Will be nice if you are using Power Charges. 2 if you want all dps.
Shavronne's Wrappings might be necessary if you are going lowlife.
Will look into any of the new uniques to see if there are any of use.

For Ice Spear, I recommend the following Gem Setup, in order of Importance:
  • Ice Spear
  • Spell Totem
  • Cold To Fire
  • Ele Prolif
  • Chance to Ignite
  • Fire Penetration

And for Fire Trap, I recommend using:
  • Fire Trap
  • Chance to Ignite
  • Fire Penetration
  • Increased Burn Damage

We are not using Increased Burn Damage with Ice Spear because we want to try and burn any boss we encounter as well, so we will need Fire Penetration.

As well, for curses, I recommend the following:
  • Flammability
  • Elemental Weakness
  • Vulnerability

Flammability/Elemental weakness is both there because if you are in a group, they will much rather Elemental Weakness. I chose Vulnerability because of the following: "Cursed enemies take 40% increased damage from Damage Over Time effects". This will significantly increase our burn damage.
"Just because you can't see the path through the forest doesn't mean using a bulldozer is the most efficient way through." -Rhys
Last edited by zakktb on Dec 4, 2013, 3:55:51 PM
Reserved

Ignore
With the given of a new class and the return of Avatar of Fire, in its revamped state, I thought it would be a cool idea to do a massive crit burn damage build, but, by not only using fire traps, but also utilizing the AoF Keystone, and the infrequently used Support gem, Cold to Fire.

The Build:
This build uses Ice Spear totems for the massive crit strikes in its second form. This will allow use to achieve many crits with specific totem placement. In order to achieve Ice Spear's Second Form, its has to be about 10 yards away from the target, which is reasonable and easily achievable.

Now, here is the build with leveling intervals of 10 points each:
Original Build

This Build also utilizes Power charges for more crit. Hence why we pick up power charges.
If you don't want to gather power charges, you can swap out the power charge nodes in the templar for 2 int nodes, to save you a point in the transition to CI, the changes can be seen here. Just follow the rest of the point intervals as you see fit.

These 10 points until around 72 Points is going to be a leveling spec. Just saying.
10 Point
20 Point
30 Point
40 Point
50 Point
60 Point
70 Points
Switching to Chaos Inoculation

I recommend having around 1K Energy shield at the time of the switch. This will equate to around, 2K Energy Shield. People may argue that having 2k, or even 2,5k is necessary, but I dont think so. Use This for the switch.

80 Points
90 Points
90 Points+

After 90 Points, I recommend getting the burn damage nodes first, to amplify your DPS, then get the trap nodes last.

Build Variations

I have different variations in mind for this build, such as a Conduit and Low-life variation, they will be added in the later stages of this guide, for simplicity.

Bandits:
If you are following the build and want to use Power Charges, then your bandits should look like this:
  • Normal: Kill all
  • Merciless: Help Alira

If you are following the build and Don't want to use Power Charges, instead of helping Alira, just kill her for the skill point.

Gear Recommendations and Skill Links:
Basically just look for high crit gear, High Es, and High Resistances.
Void Battery Will be nice if you are using Power Charges. 2 if you want all dps.
Shavronne's Wrappings might be necessary if you are going lowlife.
Will look into any of the new uniques to see if there are any of use.

For Ice Spear, I recommend the following Gem Setup, in order of Importance:
  • Ice Spear
  • Spell Totem
  • Cold To Fire
  • Ele Prolif
  • Chance to Ignite
  • Fire Penetration

And for Fire Trap, I recommend using:
  • Fire Trap
  • Chance to Ignite
  • Fire Penetration
  • Increased Burn Damage

We are not using Increased Burn Damage with Ice Spear because we want to try and burn any boss we encounter as well, so we will need Fire Penetration.

As well, for curses, I recommend the following:
  • Flammability
  • Elemental Weakness
  • Vulnerability

Flammability/Elemental weakness is both there because if you are in a group, they will much rather Elemental Weakness. I chose Vulnerability because of the following: "Cursed enemies take 40% increased damage from Damage Over Time effects". This will significantly increase our burn damage.

My Gear and Spec:
Spoiler
Seeing as I just started levelling at the time of writing this, I will not post my lowbie crap.

Also willing to stream the leveling process and end game maps(when I get there), If there is enough interest I will look into it.
"Just because you can't see the path through the forest doesn't mean using a bulldozer is the most efficient way through." -Rhys
Last edited by zakktb on Oct 24, 2013, 4:05:31 PM
This is for Scion?

There might be a problem with the Passive tree you posted.
"
This is for Scion?

There might be a problem with the Passive tree you posted.

Oh! Oops! Made in the offline skill tree, ill fix it rq

Fixed!
Last edited by zakktb on Oct 23, 2013, 9:44:34 PM
Interested to see how this plays out. I wanted to do this kind of build but had no idea how to build it!
"
FireTako wrote:
Interested to see how this plays out. I wanted to do this kind of build but had no idea how to build it!

Thanks for the interest! will try and explain it to the best of my abilities(Tomorrow)!
Nice. Event hough ive had this game forever Im not great at theorycrafting but hopefully your guide will be good! I just went with a spectral throw scion even though everyoneis gonna be doing it, it still looks too fun and new to pass up.
Updated, having issues at the moment with the forum, it wont let me add any more to the first post for some reason. Will see what I can do.
nice idea!
might give this a try XD
IGN - SunChaos, Syldra
This is a very interesting theory actually....

I'm curious as the answers to these questions:

When the ice spear crits, will it always burn the target then?
Will the ice spear still freeze/chill the target? (this would be awesome)
Are you planning on doing most of your damage through burning dmg? If so, are you planning on doing ele prolif on the ice spear?

This concept is just very interesting.

Lastly, I personally don't think this is optimized running as a scion (I know you want to run a scion because its new), but I think witch would be your best bet.

Edit: Also curious about all of your links for the totem.. is cold to fire going to be utilized?
Last edited by NeOZealouS on Oct 24, 2013, 10:09:44 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info