Spectral Throw

Spectral throw is a bad, watered down version of Lightning Strike. It has an amazingly lower amount of end game damage, it feels like whenever you introduce new skills to the game, one major prerequisite for them is to be much worse than the skills that are already in the game.

My LS mara had 18k dps (without the shocks) and now It barely does 6K with Hatred and Anger.
Since you increased the aura mana reservation, I can't use determination AND hatred+ anger like I used to. This results in a very low survive-ability and low dps.

I have one of the nicest axes in the game (not the best):

I specced my passive tree for most phys Axe nodes and 2h phys dmg:

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEAAdwCcQSzCAgLYQx9EH8TTBRNFm8X4RkuGYUaOBpsG0Ub-hznIVUkqiXfJvgn7SlPME8wdzIJMn4yiTboNuk37DkOOlI62ETnRmlN2E4yUFBUSVXGV-JYY1ivWfNZ_l8_YLtkUmWnbEZu2HJscql35XgNeWh7jHzZhAyHKYx2jM-Ov49GkFWTHZWbna6iAKQZpwinhKloqW6sqq5QuJO53b6KwBrBBMGjxp7G2M9l0NDUj9rd3D3iYeNq5CLlvedS65_sOO8O8B_yL_ZI9lU=

Why did I respec my perfect 18k Lightning Strike marauder? What's the point in new skills if they suck?
Last edited by ganjarak on Oct 24, 2013, 1:59:15 AM
Edit: Nevermind.
IGNs: Lochtaanin, Zhatar, Cyreah.
Last edited by DarkestMessiah on Oct 24, 2013, 2:19:59 AM
"
Will the 'Melee Physical Damage' support gem increase the damage of this skill?

no, but increased 2h physical damage and weapon specific will.

Check out my skill tree and see yourself:

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEAAdwCcQSzCAgLYQx9EH8TTBRNFm8X4RkuGYUaOBpsG0Ub-hznIVUkqiXfJvgn7SlPME8wdzIJMn4yiTboNuk37DkOOlI62ETnRmlN2E4yUFBUSVXGV-JYY1ivWfNZ_l8_YLtkUmWnbEZu2HJscql35XgNeWh7jHzZhAyHKYx2jM-Ov49GkFWTHZWbna6iAKQZpwinhKloqW6sqq5QuJO53b6KwBrBBMGjxp7G2M9l0NDUj9rd3D3iYeNq5CLlvedS65_sOO8O8B_yL_ZI9lU=
I don't know weather the skill is viable endgame or not (maybe you are right and it does suck), but a few things I notice from your post is you are comparing apples to oranges. Its like saying rf spork totems suck because the dps max is around 10k (pre nerf).

lightning strike sometimes pierces and spectral throw always pierces

lightning strike hits each enemy once per attack and spectral throw can hit several times

supposedly, 2 handers have been rebalanced with new affixes available so your axe probably is not "nearly the best axe" anymore

perhaps your support setup could use optimization?
It's not oranges and apples, these two skills are similar in terms of passive tree build- both use phys dmg nodes and both are projectiles. Lightning strike with multistrike does 3 *instant* hits with 3 projectiles each= 9 hits under a second. Spectral throw does only 1 projectile and it takes time for it to boomerang back. As I said, it's a weaker, watered down version of lightning strike.
Edit: right I forgot to mention that LS can shock too, thus, again multiplying the dps.
Last edited by ganjarak on Oct 24, 2013, 3:29:31 AM
"
lexcaintt wrote:
"
Museifu wrote:
Let's say that when i throw my weapon, it goes 5m away from me.

With Point Blank, would a monster 1m away from me being hit from the weapon coming back have it's damage calculated as if he was 9m away or 1m away?

Neither. The projectile has actually two distances being calculated sperately. One time when you "throw" it and one time when it comes back. So the correct answer would probably be 4m.

"
Museifu wrote:
Also, does slower projectile make the weapon go less far? If so, is the damage modification from Point Blank scaled down or is it not related to how far the projectile can go.

The range does not really matter, I think. Not too sure, but it looked like it doesn't matter.

Sooo... what I wanted to ask is if it's intentional Sprectral Throw is checking if the target was hit by another "Spectral Weapon" about 0.5 seconds ago to prevent the "shotgun" dmg? Because right now it results in Spectral Throw hitting your enemy like 4 or 5 times when at max range, because the weapon stays at that position for quite long. I don't have a problem with that, as slower projectiles is actually a pretty immense dmg and control increase because of that, but, like I said, I am not sure whether that's intentional or not.

Cheers and sorry for my bad english, it's quite late right now.. wait.. it's early in the morning.. dammit..
Bye

i've been thinking about the same question:
If we use ST+incAOE+SlowerProjectile and Amplify in passive nodes -
- probably it'll strike 2 times on way forward and 2 times on way back, so it doubles DPS
but i've got no SlowerProjectile to test it 8(
I have a question about the Iron Grip Keystone.

The text is worded as:
"Strength grants +0.2% melee physical damage per point, which is converted to ranged damage with this passive. Every 10 strength points you have give you +2% melee physical damage."

Nodes with melee physical damage are not affecting ST dmg - yet people claim that iron grip does work? Is it true? And why does it work?

Sometimes i could imagine the game to be a bit more consistent in its mechanics. Especially new players often have a hard time with this (see questions in ingame chat).
Reach out and touch hate.
"
Hastur667 wrote:
I have a question about the Iron Grip Keystone.

The text is worded as:
"Strength grants +0.2% melee physical damage per point, which is converted to ranged damage with this passive. Every 10 strength points you have give you +2% melee physical damage."

Nodes with melee physical damage are not affecting ST dmg - yet people claim that iron grip does work? Is it true? And why does it work?

Sometimes i could imagine the game to be a bit more consistent in its mechanics. Especially new players often have a hard time with this (see questions in ingame chat).

Iron Grip = the increase from physical damage to strength applies to projectiles.

What's so hard about this?
whats hard about it, is that the keystone uses the term melee physical damage while nodes with melee physical damage are not working. it does not say physical damage as you did in your reply.

So i take it that the text is accurate but the important part for ST is only
"which is converted to ranged damage with this passive"? The term ranged damage is not found anywhere else on the tree because ranged dmg in every case means bow dmg so the nodes always read as "x increased physical dmg with bows".

And the rest "Strength grants +0.2% melee physical damage per point. Every 10 strength points you have give you +2% melee physical damage." just describes the strength mechanic that is in place without this keystone.
Reach out and touch hate.
Last edited by Hastur667 on Oct 24, 2013, 5:07:32 AM
I quoted that from the passive tree itself. Mouse over iron grip to see.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info