Cast when Damage Taken

"
Damon_Tor wrote:
Suggestion for this gem:

Instead of a static HP value, base the damage taken as a % of the character's HP+ES. That way, you can freely make this value SHRINK as the gem levels UP (that way it actually gets BETTER as it levels instead of WORSE).

So for example, at level one the gem might proc when your character takes 70% of his HP+ES in damage, then by level 10 it could proc when your character takes 50% of his HP+ES in damage, then at level 20 it might proc when your character takes 30% of his HP+ES in damage. This would make it a gem people would WANT to level up.

I'd do this change and keep the Level Requirement change from the patch.
Are you able to have the same skill supported by multiple CWDTs in separate links?

Example, would this work?:

Lvl 1 CWDT + Lvl 7 Molten Shell
Lvl 6 CWDT + Lvl 10 Molten Shell
Lvl 11 CWDT + Lvl 13 Molten Shell

All on different pieces of gear?

I'm wondering this because I'm experimenting with it right now in Nemesis, and it seems like each gem is triggering just fine.
If the recent change was intended to make CoDT's effectiveness/level relationship more consistent with other supports, further changes are still required IMO.

To that end I agree with prior posters about decoupling the trigger threshold from CoDT's level and tying it to player stats instead, though I'd be slightly more partial to basing it on character level rather than a percent of HP/ES to keep CoDT more beneficial for builds that take a lot of damage.

EDIT: Tying the threshold to character level instead of max HP/ES would also avoid complications with those values changing mid-battle.

EDIT2: From the patch notes topic:

I guess the current situation is like this; the prior problems with CwDT were:

1. CwDT was overpowered at low levels
2. There was insufficient incentive to level CwDT up

The recent change solved problem 1 but has not effectively solved 2 since we still need to limit CwDT's level due to the increasing damage threshold.

Right now we may have a gem that's reasonable when you first get it but becomes underpowered at high levels compared to other supports.

I'd happily spend time levelling CwDT if it could trigger high-level spells as frequently as it used to given sufficient XP investment. If balance is still an issue we can reserve/deduct mana with each activation; the main benefit is removing the tedium from constantly casting buffs.
Last edited by PoofySleeves on Nov 13, 2013, 3:10:39 AM
Thank you, GGG, for making my character useless.

Im a Spec Throw Duelist, lvl 73, and since i dont have that uber gear, i had sometimes problems even on 66-68 maps, so i started to grind catacombs a lil bit.

this went quite easy.

now i have molten shell, decoy totem and enduring cry, all lvl 16 linked with a level 3 cwdt, which worked well. now, without this im even having probs at catacombs.

now ill have to level up that cwdt gem from 3 to 16, before my character will be playable again. this will dure forever and soon i wont get xp in catacombs anymore which means: i am fucked.

if you are nerfing that gem so hard at least give us the possibility to level it up faster!
Although I completely agree that the initial CwDt was totally op, I dont like the changes.

Not because it doesnt trigger very often, but it breaks the freedom to combine every gem with each other. That was never a problem and it doesnt feel right to me. Now I have to weight the lvl of each gem in relation to another, what I never had to do. In general the sweet spot for every gem was lvl 20 or above. That changed with CwDt and that is not a good development.

Unfortunately I dont have a good solution for this trigger gem right now... :-/
2 questions :

1-Who uses CWDT offensively ?
2-Isn't that the reason of the nerf ?

Answer these 2 questions and you'll be able to make this gem useful again !
"Zazan":
*Cast On Damage Taken: The level requirement of gems augmented by Cast on Damage Taken may not exceed the level requirement of the Cast on Damage Taken gem.
*Fixed a bug where people logged in to play
I don't know what the big deal is my portal gem still works fine with CoDT :P
GGG, you are doing it wrong.

Here. Pick one.

Also: Cast on Damage Taken (and Cast When Stunned) would both reserve flat mana. There would be no mana cost multiplier, so activating a level 20 Enduring Cry CWDT (with no supports) would reserve 26 mana (or 16 life with Mortal Conviction); a level 20 Molten Shell would reserve 70 mana (42 life with MC). However, activating all of Cactuar's Ethereal Knives CWSs would reserve roughly 437 mana (491 once he gets his 5L, 656 once he gets his 6L). This is keeping in mind that Cactuar has 8% reduced mana reserved.

Now undo that stupid nerf, implement this, and make everyone happy.

When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Nov 13, 2013, 4:34:24 AM
Yes, invert the damage taken. 2500 at level 1, 440 at level 20. Evryone will elvel this damned gem.

I'm using Abyssus with my facebreaker. 50% more phys dmg taken are a lot of damage, with my enduring cry + immortal call (both quality 16 and level 17) linked with this gem it was a bit better. Now... I have a lot of problems O_O

Sorry for my english :)
This nerf has also ruined my character... As I'm not very rich, getting CWDT gems was a cheap way to be able to progress further in the game. Now the game is that much more gear dependant, and not skill-build dependant to me. If only i had enough scouring orbs to actually make use of my spells while i figure out something to do...

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info