Cast when Damage Taken

"
Upforsale wrote:
"
Fusion_Power wrote:
Why didn't they just added some more mana used or anything like that to balance the gem? I only have high level Skill gems that I want to support with CwDT. Now the gem is completely usless for me (if I read this right). Means, my Marauder will be go back to it's cryostasis until it's fun to play again. Is that really what GGG wanted? No fun in PoE?

Well, it shouldn't be that hard to gather some low lvl gems ? ^.-

Also, you may lvl cwdt.., it still triggers whenever the dmg treshold is reached, not as some people keep thinkin (and whining about) in 1 single hit.
If your complaining that all your lvl 20gems aren't cast , AT ONCE , every 1-2 seconds for FREE by a lvl 1 support gem, then i don't know how to further explain you why this was an issue.

I think GGG definitly looks for fun in PoE, thats why they fixed a big mistake they made which completely took away a lot amount of challenge to this game

CoDT took zero challenge out of the game, maybe you are mistaking challenge for inconvience?

The real issue here is the multitude of short duration buffs.

Dear Developers, I love that you made this game challenging, but please understand that players do not want to have to cast buff spells every 10 seconds in order to survive. This makes the game much slower and tedius than it should be. CoDT was a bandaid to this problem, but since you've removed it, please address the core issue.
"
Mephasm wrote:
Dear Developers, I love that you made this game challenging, but please understand that players do not want to have to cast buff spells every 10 seconds in order to survive. This makes the game much slower and tedius than it should be. CoDT was a bandaid to this problem, but since you've removed it, please address the core issue.

Except you don't absolutely need Molten Shell to survive. That's why CwDT reduced the challenge of PoE; it gave you additional survivability that you can do without, for no added cost nor inconvenience.
"
Upforsale wrote:

Also, you may lvl cwdt.., it still triggers whenever the dmg treshold is reached, not as some people keep thinkin (and whining about) in 1 single hit.
If your complaining that all your lvl 20gems aren't cast , AT ONCE , every 1-2 seconds for FREE by a lvl 1 support gem, then i don't know how to further explain you why this was an issue.

I think GGG definitly looks for fun in PoE, thats why they fixed a big mistake they made which completely took away a lot amount of challenge to this game

Because nobody want to use low level gems just to trigger CwDT. ;) I only want to cast my regular (~lvl 17 or so) Enduring Cry and Warlords Mark. Maybe Molten Shell sometimes, so nothing fancy or OP or instant-kill-everthing-on-screen-stuff like some bulds may do. Just some harmless passive Skills. I've seen more IMBA stuff with "Cast on Crit", let GGG nerf this gem, I don't care.

If GGG want to nerf CwDT, why didn't they just added more cooldown (2-4s is still fine) or added higher Mana costs? So the people who wanted a nerf are happy and the gem keeps useful, even with high level Skills.
"
Fusion_Power wrote:
"
Upforsale wrote:

Because nobody want to use low level gems just to trigger CwDT. ;) I only want to cast my regular (~lvl 17 or so) Enduring Cry and Warlords Mark. Maybe Molten Shell sometimes, so nothing fancy or OP or instant-kill-everthing-on-screen-stuff like some bulds may do. Just some harmless passive Skills. I've seen more IMBA stuff with "Cast on Crit", let GGG nerf this gem, I don't care.

If GGG want to nerf CwDT, why didn't they just added more cooldown (2-4s is still fine) or added higher Mana costs? So the people who wanted a nerf are happy and the gem keeps useful, even with high level Skills.

I'm guessing they didn't find any way to correctly nerf CwDT without completely changing its mechanic so they took the lazy road, putting the burden of knowledge on the player rather than reworking it.
Don't think I ever saw such an half-assed nerf before, I would have been more satisfied if they had admitted poor design and just removed the gem.
I would rather see this support be strictly for defensive abilities. Something like:

lvl 1 Cast When Damage Taken
30% chance on damage taken to cast supported skill
Supported skills do no damage

Each 1% quality adds 1% chance to cast
Each 1 level adds 1% chance to cast

Just my 2 cents, but this skill is either going to be complete garbage, or extremely OP at the rate its going.

-Dragon
DISCLAIMER!
The views and expressed opinions of Dragon are solely those of a drunken redneck and are not necessarily those of a sane person. Any likeness of intelligence is strictly coincidental and should not be taken seriously. His posts should not be read... by anyone.
Last edited by Dragon585 on Nov 12, 2013, 8:39:21 PM
I'm pretty much okay with this nerf, CoDT was pretty ridiculously awesome. I would like the addition of some buffs you only hace to cast once every 5 minutes or so. Also I think they should put a cast on time support gem that triggers every x seconds. The more you level it the more often it casts.
GGG please re-work CoDT all together.
I admit that the 1.0.0 version was over the top and too good, but now its near useless (link with level 5 enduring cry, or level 7 molten shell, but not much else). The biggest problem with CoDT was that it was best at level 1, that problem was not at all addressed. Instead of making CoDT Unusable at both low and high levels. Please make CoDT less functional early on and actually WORTH the effort of leveling. As people have proposed already, making CoDT count mitigated damage as well as based on % health rather than flat health. Both seem like worthwhile ideas to explore.
Last edited by DarkestLight on Nov 12, 2013, 10:28:33 PM
Keep making new build while having plenty of them but none of them at lv 90+ is no fun. At first, making new builds every week seems fun and challenging to me. But soon when I was looking some game to invest my real life time there, it's just no fun and not really challenging.

Twice I have to rework my char in keeping them with new balance. I don't have a problem with them... until now. This-will-soon-be-my-third-time re-play new build is not really inconvenience way to keep me playing. I'm not lazy with changes, but if its come too often or if I don't have time to cope with new changes, then I can say its just plain wrong.

But I'll just wait how this CoDT will works with new balance. If its still viable for my current, well, I wouldn't complain again. But if it does otherwise... well, I do hope they can give me free passive reset like they did before (and that was amazing. I like their support back then) because I just don't have enough time to build new char and lvling them past 75+. I have real life activity, I can't just simply throw real life and ages into a game. I like PoE because I can plan my build carefully, but it takes times and ingame experiments for me to build what I want to build. And having my char to keep changed and investing my time for rework changes, that's a plain no.

Oh, and if you want to reduce effectiveness of CoDT, you can make them 90% less damage and having cooldown of 2.5 seconds at lv 1. That will reducing effectiveness, while not making people have to think and rework/rebuild their char too often (and for some, too costly as buying 10 or more Orb of Regrets is not cheap for 1-month new player)
I never used the gem, cause I thought it'd just be abusing a soon to be nerfed item.

I wanted to suggest that the problem with the gem is what it actually costs the player.
While I believe the other trigger gems need to be re looked at as well, I think the CwDT gem needs a better penalty.

Because this gem is obviously a utility gem, not a damage support gem, having a penalty to damage means absolutely nothing (besides the High level Molten shell explosions).

My suggestion is here, probably too late, but here it is:
The gem retains the philosophy that the player has to inspect what the best level for the Gem is.

Level 1: Cast after 400x damage. Penalty: 5 second cooldown after each cast. xx% reduced gem efficiency
Level 20: Cast of 2k damaage. Penalty: 0 second cooldown. 0% reduced gem efficiency

This way, the gem technically casts at the same rate every level. And the support gem effectiveness side of it would effect how players level it (thinking in regards to curses and molten shell).
Last edited by Liquid_Blade on Nov 12, 2013, 11:23:53 PM
Suggestion for this gem:

Instead of a static HP value, base the damage taken as a % of the character's HP+ES. That way, you can freely make this value SHRINK as the gem levels UP (that way it actually gets BETTER as it levels instead of WORSE).

So for example, at level one the gem might proc when your character takes 70% of his HP+ES in damage, then by level 10 it could proc when your character takes 50% of his HP+ES in damage, then at level 20 it might proc when your character takes 30% of his HP+ES in damage. This would make it a gem people would WANT to level up.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info