Curse on Hit

This support gem does not make any sense to me.

I use a melee Shadow with:
Hex Master (Curses you Cast never expire)
Whispers of Doom (Enemies can have 1 additional Curse)

Which means I can have 5 permanent curses on any target, except those immune to curses.

IMO curses should be cast "before" clashing into mobs and not while fighting in the hopes that CoH rolls favorably. As a melee Shadow I don't have the leisure time to wait for CoH to cast a curse on one target at a time.

As it stands I would leave this gem in my stash to collect dust.

What would make this gem better is if it had Hex Master linked to it.
Those who don't have Whispers of Doom would be able to cast 4 permanent curses if they equipped:

For example you are a spell caster or a bow user. You equip the above items to apply 4 curses on Dominus, Piety, or [boss name]. You return to town or get to safety to unequip the curse gear.
You kill the boss.
The countless times I mistook my MTX pet for prey... huehehehe
Last edited by Quintovir on Dec 4, 2013, 5:36:31 PM
I find this gem useless as long as it has to be connected to an active skill to work. It could be useful as support gem if it just works independent of linked active skills like cast when damage taken. Same with Cast on Crit, these support gems are pretty much useless if you don't have 5l or 6l items imho.
Cast on crit is fine. This one definitely needs help though.

First of all, no matter what they do it needs to be 100% chance at level 20.

Secondly I think this is the one trigger gem that would be fine not having to directly link to a skill.

The fact of the matter is there are no skills that are better at delivering curses than just casting the curse. You would have to dedicate a 6 link to justify using this gem, and even then it won't be reliable.
"
Vipermagi wrote:
The Curse does become single-target, yes. That's why it's arse if you ask me.

QFT
Its poorly/weakly implemented, especialy when you compare it to other trigger gems:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJ6Um3FUzpU
▄█▀█▀█
Having experimented with skill today, (using cast on hit linked to storm call, elemental weakness and crit weakness) I was disappointed to find out that although I had taken the permanent curses passive, the curses applied via this support gem lost their permanence and were only temporary.

My aim was to be a summoner with elemental adaptation, and use the hits of my spell with no supports for its own damage to buff the other players in my party, or my allies.

As others have said, this gem is a waste of time, although for my build the reason is slightly different, as I knew that it had to be linked to a skill. I now have to continually cast the attack to make sure the curse stays up, or i could just self cast them once and have a guaranteed first time use permanent curse.

Others have stated that this skill doesnt work with Traps/Minions/totems. The reason for this is simple. The game treats the creation of each of these things as the spell. The spell which creates each of these things never hits the enemy. Once you have used your spell with its chance to curse on hit (which fails every time due to never hitting anything) the object exists in the game world, and is not linked to the support. THIS IS UNINTUITIVE!

My suggestions would be to :
- Allow permanent cursing via passive to work with this gem.
- Further increase the chance to proc the curse at every level, so that it reaches 100% at 20.
- Allow minions and totems to work with this support.
"
gibbousmoon wrote:
I think this was intended to be more of a niche item than most people expected, and that's why you see such harsh criticism of it in this thread ("worst gem in the game!" hyperbole and such).

Hit the nail on the head, Good Sir/Madam. It's not intended to be linked to your main skill. It's not intended to replace your main curse. But it's an additional, FREE curse that can be used to nice effect in certain cases (with certain secondary attacks, builds, etc.).

"
[deletia]

I've seen at least one dev get really defensive about descriptions being "technically correct!!" etc. etc. so I'd also advise you to remove your pride from the equation where possible. Like I already said, you guys at GGG are way too close to the source material to be able to judge these things well. There's no shame in that; it would be true of anyone in your shoes.

As a developer myself, when somebody doesn't understand something which is (seemingly) SO SIMPLE, I have to remind myself how close I am to the source material.

(That said, it helps if they actually look at what's on the screen as it usually helps, nyah!)
"
animuanima wrote:
There is a lot of oversight on this gems usefulness. First it's a free curse with your attack. This is a huge benefit to utility if you are built for it. Mana cost for curses at later levels is considerably higher than most unsupported spells, making both the cast time and cost to curse mobs cumbersome.

Having an attack which hits multiple mobs easily (spectral throw, split arrow, gmp anything, novas) makes your cursing rotation part of an attack. Yes you lose some damage, but if you build correctly you should be able to afford to lose a 4L to throw this gem in there for the gain of utility. I could see where some builds would see it as redundant, definitely resigning it more towards a niche role but I've enjoyed making it work.

Finally on Page 7 I see somebody more-or-less echo my sentiments.
It's a niche gem, to be sure, and not all builds will see any benefit in it.
(To be fair, most of the railing on the gem came in October/early November before the community figured it out.)

In my case, I'm a 40-ish level Ice Shot/Pierce Ranger who's a bit mana-challenged (since IS doesn't leech well and I have no Reduced Mana or Mana Leech gems). I'm also not great at remembering (let alone aiming) my Projectile Weakness curse-- and it costs 1/5 of my mana pool.

But I do have a mere 3L GGB onto which I can put a Split Arrow, CoH, and Projectile Weakness. I'm also using Death's Harp that adds an arrow. So for 10 mana, I can just fire off a Split Arrow from outside a room and have ~30% chance to curse up to six victims-- plus others if 30% piercing happens on any of them.

I don't have another PW gem, but I have a Temporal Chains gem I can fire off manually when the curses expires...or I can launch another Split Arrow.

It will be fun to experiment swapping in Frostbite if I find one.

Edit:
Also, I might try sticking it into a weapon switch bow so that I can reclaim the gem space from my boots. The damage will be less, but that opening Split Arrow is for the purpose of curses. I'll lose my bonus arrow from my bow, though. I can put it on my usual IS attack binding (middle mouse button). All I'd need then is a "weapon switch on hit" gem to link to it. :-)

Hmm...just noticed a 19% Quality Spectral Throw in my stash...could be fun with a melee weapon in the alt weapon slot...and again, won't have to use regular gem or hotkey space.
Last edited by trentjaspar on Dec 13, 2013, 3:32:59 PM
"
magpye wrote:
Having experimented with skill today, (using cast on hit linked to storm call, elemental weakness and crit weakness) I was disappointed to find out that although I had taken the permanent curses passive, the curses applied via this support gem lost their permanence and were only temporary.
[deletia]

Hex Master says that "Curses YOU CAST never expire." With CoH, you're not casting the curse; the gem is. In other words, there's no spell that you're casting to produce the curse. It seems logical that it wouldn't become permanent with Hex Master.
"
My suggestions would be to :
- Allow permanent cursing via passive to work with this gem.
- Further increase the chance to proc the curse at every level, so that it reaches 100% at 20.
- Allow minions and totems to work with this support.

Again, with minions and totems, you're not "hitting" anybody, so no CoH. Also it would seem OP if it worked that way.

The only real buff that makes sense to me is increasing the proc percentage. Getting it to 100% (even at level 20) seems to be a bit much, but a slight bump could be justified.
Didn't the quality bonus used to be 1.5% curse effect per 1% quality? I could swear when it first came out the quality bonus capped at +30% rather then the 10% it does now...but I can't find any mention of a nerf in the patch notes, so am I just crazy or what?
Talisman softcore IGN:disappointment
"
tinygod81 wrote:
The skills proc's when "you" do damage:

- A Shield is coming out of your body and so it is you doing doing the damage.
- A Skill is coming out of your body and so it is you doing the damage.
- A Minion is out of your control and so it isn't you doing the damage.
- A Trap or a Minion is not a hit you deal directly and so it isn't you doing the damage.

Yeah, Minions not procing this makes sense. However, in theory a trap should work, since it was you who laid the trap.

With all that theory babbled. I find little specific use for this gem. It takes 3 slots to use and saves you nothing but a little Mana cost and a fraction of a second. Plus isn't even guaranteed to proc the curse.

The only thing I can see this being useful for is for those players that would like to use more then 8 skills. If M1, M2, M3, Q, W, E, R and T are all taken and you want to use a curse, I suppose this would allow you to kinda use it 28% of the time..... lol.

Dev's should probably rework this gem into either:

1) A 100% Chance, that adds an additional Mana cost to the supported Gem. This would allow for those who want to save a skill button for other things.

or

2) A 28% chance that can be tied to any skill. This would allow for traps, minions, etc...

mine is a mine and trap is a trap, not a spell. you don't cast them, you lay or throw them. even if you lay a trap that casts a spell (e.g. fire trap). So triger gems that casts a skill on certain situations won't work

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info