Curse on Hit

I like this gem as a concept, and am currently using it on my summoner with Arc. However, not cursing 100% is painful. I think being able to triple curse easily with one ability is not broken considering you have to give up a 5L and the supported ability is not able to be used for damage (four damageless supports). Please make the chance to curse 100%, at least at max level or max quality.
This gem does not work the way I originally thought it did. I thought it was an individual support gem for curses, that sacrifices the 100% land rate for the convenience of the curse activating on a hit... ANY hit. I didn't realize it was a bridge to connect a curse and an active skill together.

It's been said in the thread already, but I'd like to reiterate.. sacrificing 2 sockets and all the damage that comes with 2 support gems, is NOT WORTH.

I've read the other suggestions, and my opinion for this gem is to make it activate on ANY hit, from ANY skill, are the expense of the activation rate (perhaps even lower the success rate further) and possibly the effects of the curse itself.

With this setup, players can attach more than one curse to the gem to try and counter the low success rate, and primary damage skills aren't sacrificing support sockets.

as someone already said it's sad that this support gem doesn't work with traps.
as a trapper it's a continuos kite and stopping to cast a curse sometimes means death especially against some unique/bosses that can stomp you with few blows.

lightning trap could be a great way to spread a curse especially with multy traps.
It's definitely tolerable in a Split Arrow/Frenzy/DoT build.
There is a lot of oversight on this gems usefulness. First it's a free curse with your attack. This is a huge benefit to utility if you are built for it. Mana cost for curses at later levels is considerably higher than most unsupported spells, making both the cast time and cost to curse mobs cumbersome.

Having an attack which hits multiple mobs easily (spectral throw, split arrow, gmp anything, novas) makes your cursing rotation part of an attack. Yes you lose some damage, but if you build correctly you should be able to afford to lose a 4L to throw this gem in there for the gain of utility. I could see where some builds would see it as redundant, definitely resigning it more towards a niche role but I've enjoyed making it work.
Fire storm+curse on hit+ punishment+ ignite chance with a wall of MI zombies works rather well.
I think this was intended to be more of a niche item than most people expected, and that's why you see such harsh criticism of it in this thread ("worst gem in the game!" hyperbole and such).

But the reason for the unfulfilled expectations points to my biggest criticism of this gem, and my biggest criticism of many of the game's gems: misleading and/or outright inaccurate descriptions. How many people in this thread were confused about the fact that this can't be used with traps, totems, or minions?

You guys at GGG really can't trust your own judgment when it comes to these things, sorry. You're too close to it, too familiar already with PoE's idiosyncrasies, mechanics, and terminology.

The solution is simple, really: Every time you make a new gem's description, run it by someone outside the team (preferably someone who plays the game, but is still very new to it), and have them give you a verbose explanation of what the gem does. If their explanation is accurate, then you probably did a good enough job in writing the description. If it's way off, then you can use that person's confusion as a guide in revising your description.

I've seen at least one dev get really defensive about descriptions being "technically correct!!" etc. etc. so I'd also advise you to remove your pride from the equation where possible. Like I already said, you guys at GGG are way too close to the source material to be able to judge these things well. There's no shame in that; it would be true of anyone in your shoes.
Wash your hands, Exile!
Last edited by gibbousmoon on Nov 25, 2013, 3:25:32 AM
I used this at level 1 yesterday linking it to spectral throw + GMP + Warlord's Mark (level 9).

It did work well - but it "seemed" that the curse applied ONLY to the monster hit, without it's AOE component. Also, this gem does work with curse gems which have a higher level requirement etc (unlike the CWDT one)

I will check more today/tomorrow to ensure the mobs were all close enough, without GMP.
The Curse does become single-target, yes. That's why it's arse if you ask me.
Anyone could tell me if CoH will trigger 2 curses if Im wearing Windscream?
If so I would love to use Split arrow - Chain - LoH - CoH - Flamability - Elemental Weakness on my EA witch. In fast that would be possibly best thing to spam between shooting ea and explosion, further more it would help me trigger Elemental Equilibrium on everything around :)
Last edited by bullsiq on Nov 30, 2013, 4:35:31 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info