Curse on Hit

Personally I find this gem useless as a crit character. I am better off using Cast On Crit to get the FULL RADIUS of the curse. Curse On Hit needs to apply the curse w/ radius on the target and be able to affect others around it. Cursing only the hit target is very poor compared to COC. My $0.02.
@BeerPact
Does the actual HIT that triggers the Curse _already benefit from the Curse_ ?
Aka is the Curse applied even before/same time as the hit? OR

Do _only_ subsequent Attacks but not the triggering Attack benefit from the Curse?

would be nice to know

Last edited by hcl on May 8, 2014, 7:42:18 PM
Please comfirm :

Spectral Throw + Curse on hit + Projectile Weakness not work?

Thanks you

I really want this gem to be useful. Unfortunately as it stands it is not, evidenced by the zero major builds making use of it.
Actually there is the exception of Explosive Arrow builds that will double-curse with Split Arrow CoH, but it is really the only one I can think of, and I've searched quite a bit. Most builds can't dedicate a 5/6L to cursing ; anything but bows and 2-handed melee builds are out of the question, and even those it's very debatable.
The reason you need a 5L or 6L to make it worth it now, is that CoH with 1 single curse makes no sense : you could just cast the curse directly, for 1 gem slot instead of 3, probably faster and in a larger AoE that any CoH attack or spell could (you could even use Faster Casting and Inc AoE for the same number of gem slots). So Curse on Hit is for double and triple cursing. That makes [trigger]-[CoH]-[curese1]-[curse2] a bare minimum. except with 1 unsupported trigger attack/spell, you can't hope to hit both in an AoE and multiple times. Meaning you won't be able to reliably and effectively double curse with CoH in a 4L, which kinda sucks.

I've seen many suggestions to make it more useable, some of which are pretty interesting, but imply large mechanical changes. The one thing that would make me use Curse on Hit, with great pleasure, would be to simply up the curse chance value on the gem ! 48% at lvl20 is way too low. I think ~50% at lvl1 scaling to ~70-75% would make it much more reliable for use with single hit AoE attacks, making it viable to use in a 4L like Leap Slam - Curse on Hit - Curse 1 - Curse 2.
I'm proud I made the build that got hotfix nerfed by 80% in under a week :
Kamikaze Clones /1204796 (LL Mirror Arrow Instability Prolif)
"
hcl wrote:
Does the actual HIT that triggers the Curse _already benefit from the Curse_ ?
No, because you have to hit them to apply the curse, therefore they weren't cursed until you hit them - you were hitting an uncursed enemy, and dealt damage as such.
Please consider making this gem independent of a trigger gem. It seems nonsensical to waste two gem slots in your attack when you could simply cast the curse(100% success rate mind you) ahead of time. I can see this adding a better dynamic to the game if I could go curse on hit + curse + a new gem that spreads curses to near by enemies similar to elemental proliferation.

That would make curses more seamless, speed up the pace and help eliminate the monotony of totem then curse then attack then repeat...

I could stand to cast a totem then use enduring cry while this skill curses for me. Currently I need to cast enduring cry then curse then drop a totem... Monotony at its finest :)

<3
I know this has been talked to death already, but weighing in anyway: CoH needs to be able to proc off of totem/trap hits. I get that there are balance issues involved in letting minion hits proc it, particularly minions spawned by totems, but... I dunno, man.

The build I'm running right now that it's relevant to is a multi-totem one, where I use a high-powered Searing Bond with two Lightning Warp totems to deliver it to the baddies while I hide like a little girl. I'd like very much to have those warp totems also curse on hit (I'd use Flammability and Elemental Weakness, of course), not least because I can't actually do any damage myself (on account of Ancestral Bond), but also because I don't have any more places to put another active skill (also running zombies and Freeze Mines for defense).
------
"And 'Do what thou willst' shall be the whole of the law." -- Aleister Crowley
"First, love; then, do what thou willst." -- St. Augustine
"Whatever is done out of love always takes place beyond good and evil." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
As recent "Build Of The Week" episode has shown, curse on hit gets outplayd by cast on crit. The reason for this is, that cast on crit applies the full radius of the curse and curse on hit does not.

I really like the idea of this support gem, but at the moment the effect is underwhelming.

Some ideas of mine to make curse on hit better and interesting to use:
- buff the quality bonus up more (mabye 20% instead of 10%)
- give it the power to bypass the curse effectivness penaltiy on blues/rares/bosses (100% effectivness all the time but only for a very short duration mabye - 2-3sec or so)
there is such a thing as permanent curses. curse resistance bypassing should be handled like penetration gems, not all the way but definitely getting through more.
Using this gem makes your character worse in nearly every single circumstance.
It's worth noting that +2 maps are a dangerous thing.
They can cause players to get out of their depth -
playing maps that are too hard for the items they currently have. Herp Derp.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info