Officially Supported Linux Client

The economics just are not there for Linux or even Mac support. The vast number of people who game outside of consoles do so on Windows PCs. Heck, GGGs even thinks consoles are more profitable to port to than Linux and I am sure easier because of Windows 10 and XBox sharing the same kernel and DirectX base.

Even Microsoft, who has ported their software like Office to just about every platform such as Mac, iOS, Android, even a ChromeOS one has not bothered with desktop Linux. You have to support the salaries of a whole team just to maintain it.

Nothing to do with OS A being better than B.

PoE is the only reason I still have a system running Windows.

Our number might be small but with the shitfest going on in Win10 (privacy) even some of my linux-hating friends stopped using windows.

If Microsoft is turning from software development to social engineering and selling personal data, it's probably not the worst idea to have an OS independent vulkan render path ready for your engine.
Perception is reality.
"
RannXeroxx wrote:
The economics just are not there for Linux or even Mac support. The vast number of people who game outside of consoles do so on Windows PCs. Heck, GGGs even thinks consoles are more profitable to port to than Linux and I am sure easier because of Windows 10 and XBox sharing the same kernel and DirectX base.

Even Microsoft, who has ported their software like Office to just about every platform such as Mac, iOS, Android, even a ChromeOS one has not bothered with desktop Linux. You have to support the salaries of a whole team just to maintain it.

Nothing to do with OS A being better than B.

GGG have significantly softened their tone regarding a Linux port. From the latest Developer Q&A - Answers Part 4

"
Will we have a Path of Exile client for Linux? (Question from Russian community)

As we port Path of Exile to more platforms over time, it's more likely that a Linux port will be created. At this stage there is no strong financial argument for it and it would also significantly increase our QA costs, but it may happen one day.

I anticipate a port to PS4 in the relatively near future and from there Mac and hopefully Linux.
⚡ Lightning Golems:
/1902593
⛄ Ice Golems:
/1914382
"
Kellog wrote:

"
but it may happen one day.

A lot of "weasel words" there. I would not be holding my breath.
"
RannXeroxx wrote:
"
Kellog wrote:

"
but it may happen one day.

A lot of "weasel words" there. I would not be holding my breath.

If you go back two or three years, the same was being said about the possibility of porting the game to console, now they have a dedicated team working on that platform.
I think this game works decently with "Wine emulator" on linux

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=13810

Currrently on gold level , this is one step down before platinium (100% solid windowslike gameplay)

https://appdb.winehq.org/screenshots.php?iAppId=13810

I dont think this game need a new linux client , i think GGG should improve the game to Wine Viable , Wine already works with Dx9 Perfectly. As long as GGG wont remove Dx9 mode this game gonna work.
no longer playing
Account inactive since Tencent majority share acquisition.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info