Officially Supported Linux Client

"
iao wrote:
Luckily because of Valve, crowdfunding websites, the Humble Indie Bundle, and Windows 8, numerous companies are jumping on-board the Linux gaming bandwagon.

Recently it's been stated by a few game developers who specialize in porting that it isn't difficult at all to port an entire game to OpenGL with just one person. However, Path of Exile uses its own graphics engine, so its case might be much different.

I'm pretty sure that Linux' audio stack is also still a major problem in porting games specifically to it, and in some cases the only thing holding them back.

I think it'd be most practical for the team to just optimize the game for Wine. At the moment it is my main way of playing the game, and it really isn't bad. The recent graphics glitches patch helped tremendously; the game rarely ever crashes now.

I think the biggest issue with porting games over isn't necessarily the porting, it's the bandwidth of personnel that would be needed to help with hardware issues/application issues that linux users experience.

Which is quite funny actually, as if you're using a linux distro you should be your own support and work to try and solve the problem yourself - which is half the fun of linux in the first place. :P

I've reached the point where I avoid buying games I cannot play on Linux. I reluctantly play games via wine but ultimately having native Linux games would thrill me no-end.

- Ryan
I have problems play PoE via wine/ PlayOnLinux... A native client would be great!

Happy new year by the Ubuntu free software Community :-)

I only fire up Windows to launch Borderlands or Path of Exile.

Maybe just WINE it up, try to support WINE as much as possible. µTorrent did so a while. They even mentioned 'Linux support'. So at the download screen with a list of supported OS there was Linux (WINE) in the list.

I didn't mind since it worked as well as on Windows. From what I read, support is already pretty good. With the community's help I don't see how it would take more than 50 hours solo dev to polish it up so it can be calld 'supported'. From what I have read it already works pretty well, I just did not want to bother with it yet.

*Edit* OH, ggg, don't forget my HTPC. I know I live in the future, having dozens of emulators, XBMC with Twitch (oh fuck yeah xbmc, there is nothing like you i can solely speak positive about), steam, auto-download via rss of newest tv shows. This is not possible without Linux. It is jaw-dropping for every family member or friend that visits. Everything with a remote. All this in a 60W machine.

Don't underestimate embedded systems like that. People laughed at me for saying Linux will dominate the small appliances market like handhelds and mobile phones. I guess most stopped laughing. It *will not* conquer normal desktop systems for quite a while. But embedded systems... yeah pretty much. Try to jump on the band-wagon. I think people just started to associate Linux with the term cool.
#1 Templar Closed Beta HC Ladder (lvl 83)
Last edited by SAKUJ0 on Jan 2, 2013, 7:54:24 AM
playonlinux runs it well
Steam:Gonejah

I don't think that the direct x / open gl thing is a huge piece of development work so long as the engine was written using proper OO principals. If not... then yeah... up a creek without a paddle :P

Im going full linux when steam/valve gets the hang of it. Multiplatform is the way to go these days. :)
LINUX!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info