Officially Supported Linux Client

84 - Arch
"
Cartaugrapher wrote:
As I haven't seen any of the developers mention anything about a Linux build, I'll assume that it's simply because the assumed small demographic of Linux users. This thread will be used to get an estimate of the demographic of Linux users within the Path of Exile community.

I don't think this thread is actually very useful for the purposes of estimating the size of the Linux demographic here. I think it's better for measuring something else, but not that.

Grinding Gear already knows exactly how many of it's forum visitors use Linux. All they have to do is open up Google Analytics and check out their demographics report where they'll see something like this:

Except their report would have a much higher sample size. That's from gggtracker.com's reports btw (for the past 3 days). Of course, they could filter out mobile devices or look at only unique visitors or look at unique visitors that have used Linux to access the site at least once for possibly more meaningful results too.

I'll sign though just in support of cross-platform software in general:

Stay up-to-date: gggtracker.com
Last edited by rz2yoj on Jan 24, 2013, 7:46:26 PM
87 - using Ubuntu for years now, still hoping to get rid of my windows installation

I think it doesnt matter if this thread gives exact number. Its simply a statement and grows stronger with every reply.
Last edited by DaDemon on Jan 25, 2013, 3:08:40 AM
88 debian pl0x

I mainly use Linux where I work and would love to be able to switch over to running it at home on my gaming PC rather than having to use a VM when I need Linux there.

Been mostly using Xbuntu (essentially Ubuntu that starts off with a different Desktop Environment installed) lately, but as long as a decently popular distro is supported I wouldn't care which.
In response to the comment that the devs already know how many of us use Linux - I tend to visit forums before/after/during playing that game. So since I can't be playing the game on Linux, I'm already booted into Windows.

Also, how often are people that can't play a game due to its platform going to visit its forum?

Really these numbers mean very little. If this were a OSX only game the number of Mac using visits would be much higher.
91 - Ubuntu
"
rz2yoj wrote:
[...]
I don't think this thread is actually very useful for the purposes of estimating the size of the Linux demographic here. I think it's better for measuring something else, but not that.

Grinding Gear already knows exactly how many of it's forum visitors use Linux. All they have to do is open up Google Analytics and check out their demographics report where they'll see something like this:
[...]

That is not necessarily true.
I play this game on Windows but currently I am browsing this page and everything else on Debian because that is where most of my work is get done since Windows is almost completely useless to me for anything but gaming.

But yeah, I would still be one of those people who would welcome a Linux client.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info