maps drop rate

"
Shippal wrote:
-snip-

This. This post makes great and compelling arguments for furthering the case of being able to attain maps OUTSIDE of maps and WITHIN maps.

One thing I wanted to point out in particular was the "slight change in IIQ's role to IIR's role" argument. It makes the most sense. Rarity of items shouldn't just consist of equipment and weapon drops of the yellow variety. It should drop rare orbs, rare items, and maps themselves, being rare as they are.

This "I gotta stack IIQ just to get maps" mindset is ridiculous and again, it forces players to forego better equipment for the sake of that mod to play the endgame. This needs to change.
For Ranger build tips, tactics, and critiques, visit this thread:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/69224
Please understand that the current situation (where one location is required to be farmed in order to experience the Custom-maps system) is going to change with the implementation of Act III and open beta (which will bring new players). There is no point of saying how you dislike farming Pyramid, not mentioning it's your own personal decision to do so, since it's only temporary.

I like the idea that I should work (i.e. farm) for being able to run maps, my first map dropped a few days ago in Pyramid and it was the most exciting moment in Path of Exile so far.

The custom-maps system is in its way revolutionary in ARPGs and whoever came up with it is a very clever man.

Anyway, to provide feedback towards the current custom-maps system:

1) Having only one zone that has substantially higher drop rate of maps (ignoring the maps themselves) forces players to farm that zone over and over, since it's the most effective way. No matter how beautiful and balanced that zone is going to be, running it over and over shatters any desire of visiting it ever again (where the frustration of not dropping a map is transfered to the feeling towards the zone itself).

Suggestion : Having more than one zone, balanced against each other, where maps are viable to farm would provide variety for those short on maps. Variety is the best weapon against repetition and boredom (which is exactly why custom-maps are so awesome).

2) Increased item quantity seems to have too much influence over the amount of maps dropped.
While my loot sample is obviously small (10 + 10 pyramid runs and 8 maps done), having gear with +50% item quantity has been the sole difference between having a map dropped and leaving with empty hands. I'm only worried that it will be required for anyone to wear this kind of gear in oder to experience continuous map runs. I.e. he will be wearing gear that is required, not the gear he wants.

Of course the second point might go void once there are more players in the game, but I currently don't have that kind of data available.
What I also don't like is that people obviously try for the mods that give them more maps (mainly increasing the map size, more monsters and more champions/rares) instead of doing harder map mods, since the rewards for them are not as good.

Today I did a very fun map, it had 60%+ increased quantity alone from its modifiers.

It had only ranged mobs, I was slowed by temporal chains which made it harder to reach them, on the ground was patches of fire that made my manouvering space smaller and my mana and energy shield regenerated 50% slower and if I hit fire I had to wait another ~5 seconds to let it regenerate. It was pretty hard doing it and I had to backtrack and regroup quite often to let my energy shield replenish.

But it was fun, the right kind of difficulty that can be overcome by playing well.

Too bad I didn't get any maps (or any good rares for that) from this map. In contrast, blue maps with the massive prefix almost always droped another map today, even though they were very easy.

Edit: Of course, my anecdote isn't data, but what I've heard in chat about it generally agrees with my assumption.
Last edited by Serika on Aug 7, 2012, 3:04:35 PM
"
Serika wrote:
What I also don't like is that people obviously try for the mods that give them more maps (mainly increasing the map size, more monsters and more champions/rares) instead of doing harder map mods, since the rewards for them are not as good.

People have the right to choose how they want their maps to function! It takes quite a few alts to roll a map with 2 specific mods. Its certainly cheaper than scouring/alching/chaos certain maps.

I have noticed that rare maps crank up the quality of orbs that drop. There is a good chance I will get my investment of 1 alch back & then some. So long as reflect ele dmg or Blood Magic appear Ill run it as is. Hard as hell or ezmode. My choice.
Zhaal_____...............................................__Riez
_______74 Shadow__........__Duelist 71______
Zhrain____
_______69 Shadow__
I formulated it a bit badly. What I should have said is, that I don't like the fact that easy maps which are just larger with more stuff in it seem to give equal rewards as hard maps with lots of modifieres.

This kinda defeats the purpose of doing the hard and time consuming maps when one gets the same rewards from easy ones. I don't think that's healthy for the game in the long term.
Make hard mods more rewarding than mob quantity mods. Problem solved.
Build of the week #2 : http://tinyurl.com/ce75gf4
Last edited by zriL on Aug 7, 2012, 3:12:32 PM
"
Serika wrote:

Too bad I didn't get any maps (or any good rares for that) from this map. In contrast, blue maps with the massive prefix almost always droped another map today, even though they were very easy.

Edit: Of course, my anecdote isn't data, but what I've heard in chat about it generally agrees with my assumption.

Oh so that's why I can't sustain a run of maps and constantly have to go back to the pyramid, even with 63% quant? I've foolishly alched maps for 40%+ quant instead of spamming alterations to get Massive mod blues!

Last edited by aimlessgun on Aug 7, 2012, 3:40:53 PM
"
aimlessgun wrote:
"
Serika wrote:

Oh so that's why I can't sustain a run of maps and constantly have to go back to the pyramid, even with 63% quant? I've foolishly alched maps for 40%+ quant instead of spamming alterations to get Massive mod!

And this is the other problem maps present. Attaining maps OUTSIDE of maps is one problem, and attaining maps INSIDE maps is another. Why roll hard maps for the challenge and EXP when it won't drop another map compared to an easier map with the appropriate suffix/prefix mod?
For Ranger build tips, tactics, and critiques, visit this thread:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/69224
I should start keeping tabs of the maps I do, the mods on them & maps that drop. Its somewhat maddening to keep up with the details.

I can say with certainty that over the last week a map has dropped for every map done, both rare & magic. Except for the lone 65 map.. nothin ><
Zhaal_____...............................................__Riez
_______74 Shadow__........__Duelist 71______
Zhrain____
_______69 Shadow__
If its been said before .. sorry.

But it seems to me everyone is bitching and moaning about map drops, focusing on Pyramid runs and how its either a famine or feast depending on who you are (luck), and gearedness (IIQ). Pyramid runs are temporary .. get over it.

Has everyone here forgotten that ACT 3 has not yet been added? Moan about an alleged (read BS) endgame problem in beta thats missing content?? wtf?

jeez

How about test the damn things for bugs, provide decent feedback and NOT submit nonsensical rubbish about how endgame is broken.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info