maps drop rate

"
Tertium_Quid wrote:
I found the most maps of any Alpha member, 56, including 13 in one day and 5 in a single map...

The thing that is important in map hunting within maps is the mods of the maps themselves, not necessarily the quality on your equipment. If you play enough maps with enough mods you will begin to see patterns in which mods are more likely drop maps and which are not, and the thing is, the mods that do, are the most logical in doing so.

The mods that are best for finding rare equipment are rather obvious as well and are best coupled with the mods that are best for finding maps. (The Alpha members I have told the best mods to all agreed that they made the most sense.) All the other mods, as far as I can tell, do not do anything but increase the difficulty of the maps themselves and get in the way of your getting the items you most desire.

When map hunting, it is best to build a character that can survive in the most types of maps. Otherwise, you will be pigeonholed into just a few types and will spend most of your time and resources either looking for people to trade away the maps you cannot play or using up your orbs to reroll the mods on others. You may end up selling your poorly rolled maps to the unsuspecting anyway, when you figure out the mapping mod secrets.

When first starting out, I would suggest either using a plain white map (same as a normal merciless level) or a blue map; that is, unless you are confident in the power of your character.

Is this supposed to be some huge game breaking secret and that's why you're telling us it exists...but not, you know, telling us anything?

If they're rather obvious then I see no harm in you divining us with your knowledge. Meh.
Clearing maps is not a problem i have yet to find a map that is a challenge. In fact those are very quick runs.
He obviously talking about mods like larger map or more monsters=more chance to get additional map.
I bumped my quantity from 50-80 and i started actually sustaining myself on constant map inflow so at least i dont have to farm pyramid for now.
I still dont get why lvl 60 maps are so rare. If its possible to move up to lvl 69(if i get it right) then granting a white L60 map for killing act 2 boss shouldnt be a big deal.
Last edited by Melmak on Jul 24, 2012, 12:50:01 AM
"
Tertium_Quid wrote:
I found the most maps of any Alpha member, 56, including 13 in one day and 5 in a single map...

The thing that is important in map hunting within maps is the mods of the maps themselves, not necessarily the quality on your equipment. If you play enough maps with enough mods you will begin to see patterns in which mods are more likely drop maps and which are not, and the thing is, the mods that do, are the most logical in doing so.

The mods that are best for finding rare equipment are rather obvious as well and are best coupled with the mods that are best for finding maps. (The Alpha members I have told the best mods to all agreed that they made the most sense.) All the other mods, as far as I can tell, do not do anything but increase the difficulty of the maps themselves and get in the way of your getting the items you most desire.

When map hunting, it is best to build a character that can survive in the most types of maps. Otherwise, you will be pigeonholed into just a few types and will spend most of your time and resources either looking for people to trade away the maps you cannot play or using up your orbs to reroll the mods on others. You may end up selling your poorly rolled maps to the unsuspecting anyway, when you figure out the mapping mod secrets.

When first starting out, I would suggest either using a plain white map (same as a normal merciless level) or a blue map; that is, unless you are confident in the power of your character.

Tertium, I think you misread the point of this thread.
Yea, I'm happy to find more map drops in the later maps, but the issue here is farming the pyramids for the initial leg up.

And with all the crashes going on, I'm loathe to use my one and only map drop (until I get a few and map acquisition becomes self sustaining, like some of the lucky ppl here)
POE is a constantly evolving game, so expect balance changes, buffs and nerfs STILL!
What would be the best way to get maps. Killing the entire Pyramids or going as fast as possible to the A2 boss?

I was running the boss for a few hours yesterday, but no luck. I'm still a bit slow killing him though.
Farmed for several hours, done almost 20 maps, several were very hard. Temporal Chains, no regen, chaos drain, massive extra mob damage, Stuff like that. My best run so far was in a 6 property map, 99% extra damage as cold damage, more damage, more speed, players are cursed with elemental weakness curse. I got 3 maps inside.

I have noticed a significant increase in maps drops in harder maps obviously, the 3 temporal chains maps I did all gave me a bonus map.

Hard maps = more maps = higher maps = better loot, all it takes is time.
"
_tweety_ wrote:
What would be the best way to get maps. Killing the entire Pyramids or going as fast as possible to the A2 boss?

I was running the boss for a few hours yesterday, but no luck. I'm still a bit slow killing him though.

There is no point killing all the mobs since only the rare mobs and the Act 2 boss can drop a map, regular mobs (lvl 57) would be too low.

And i had the same issue. I had to farm Pyramid for 3 hours to get 1 map. However, ever since then i have literally never had to go back since i'm finding 1-3 maps each time i use a map. I've probably run about 15 maps total and only 3 didn't drop a map. Most dropped 2 and some 3. So that really IS the point of this thread. Even if it takes you hours to get 1 map from Pyramids, it is basically self sustaining after that. Either that or i'm the luckiest person on the planet, which i highly doubt.
"
Chris wrote:
It's likely we'll be allowing them to drop in other areas of merciless act 2 also.

would be a solution until the world setup changes with the 3rd act... or... force the players to force (newer) chars: give them one map for the first kill of the act 2 endboss (merciless only, of course), as reward from an npc or a guaranteed drop ;)
invited by timer @ 10.12.2011
--
deutsche Community: www.exiled.eu & ts.exiled.eu
The thread opener was complaining about how he was getting maps, but not as many as he expected. I was telling him that you only need one map and the correct mods and you and sustain your map playing. Then from hearing others experiences I learned that GGG must have substantially increased the drop rate of maps, that only makes learning which mods produce the best results all the more important...

My point in posting was to say that it was possible to use map mods to find more maps even without 50-80% quantity. I only had 43% quantity and I was finding at least 2, practically all the time, with a much lower Alpha drop rate. I pretty much know that GGG increased the drop rare tremendously because, as far as I know, no Alpha member found a single map in the Merciless Pyramid, as the drop rate was so much lower than it must be now.

How did I find maps within maps then? GGG provided Alpha members with test maps to play around with (for all Alpha members to share), a few of each of the 45 maps and I played most of them before I figured out the mods I needed to know. Bottom line, it will take time to figure out the best mods, but there are mods that produce better results and they are worth looking for.
They haven't increased the drop rate at all as far as i can tell its about 1 map per 6 hours of hateful pyramid grinding which is a nightmare for rangers due to the still unfixed targeting issues when you or your target are near a wall or doorway or terrain piece lol ect and as for the drop rate in other parts of act2 i couldnt say as ive not had 1 drop there.

So prepatch boring but unlimited end game loot grinding.

Postpatch interesting but Very limited end game loot grinding.

I say why not have both put maelstrom back in and have the maps drop there everyone is happy
"Blue warrior shot the food"
Last edited by maxor on Jul 24, 2012, 2:24:03 PM
"
maxor wrote:

I say why not have both put maelstrom back in and have the maps drop there everyone is happy

I have to be honest, I agree completely with this statement. I know that Maelstrom of Chaos was not intended to be a permanent feature but it's accessibility is what made it so enjoyable.

The issue we're up against right now is prior to 0.9.11 I found myself always wanting to get on to play the game because I knew I could eventually find a challenge in a relatively short period of time and enjoy myself.

Now, I love the maps themselves. I really have enjoyed the 5 rare maps I have run through but only one of those yielded another map. My fiance sat at home for 4+ hours yesterday trying to farm maps for us to run when I got home from work and only managed to have 1 drop in that period of time.

This meant we had maybe 30 minutes of fun in Path of Exile last night and after 5 more Pyramid runs without further map drops, we gave up on playing before midnight.

Prior to the patch I had to tear myself away from the game at 2-3 AM and force myself to go to sleep. Now I am going to sleep early and don't feel any desire to log in.

What I don't understand is why *white* maps are so rare. I completely understand why a rare map or unique map would need to be a difficult to locate but even with a white map you still have to use up rare currency items to bring the map to a below Chaos level difficulty. This means that maps themselves have a double check against becoming decent maps just like items do.

Even after all of this, you're not guaranteed to find something that the player considers an upgrade, hell I have gone through 5 rare maps now and barely found any loot I could even justify holding on to for potential trading later on.

Maelstrom of Chaos may not be a necessary evil with Act 3 looming in the distance but for right now I can honestly say I'd run a rare map over MoC just for the interesting new environments and potential challenges. I just don't like the idea of suddenly losing the ability to access a continually randomized set of zones, with decent challenge/rewards as well, for the sake of a 30 minute map per night with no other inclination to play the game.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info