maps drop rate

To what extent is the problem solved by the 0.9.11c patch?
Lead Developer. Follow us on: Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Contact Support if you need help!
"
Chris wrote:

I'm still running pyramids (which I was fine with before the patch) and I still havent seen one yet today...
"
Chris wrote:

Much better, but it still seems like, after running infinite MoC anyway, there's just no real reason not to be running maps nonstop.

Also,
"
Tertium_Quid wrote:
alpha! alphaalphaalpha!
It doesn't really sound like much fun having to "game" the end game system by only running certain map types because most others aren't very rewarding for risk/reward.

I'd almost rather have the option of doing MoC for doing map drops anyways, rather than the pyramid which was always my least favorite PoE zone.

Why does putting maps in have to mean taking MoC out? Probably because GGG is afraid maps won't be rewarding comparatively and no one will bother with the hassle... but I think if that was to happen it's a sign map rewards need buffed rather than MoC removed.

Just my .02, I am looking forward to trying out the new changes.
Before 0.9.11c I found a map on most of my pyramid runs. Then inside maps, I almost always found another map. Sometimes more than one. I played a LOT after 0.9.11 was released and spent almost all of that time running maps. I rarely had to go back to the pyramid. At times I've had as many as 5 extra maps sitting in my stash.

I have 51% increased item quantity, which might help some. I also don't usually upgrade white maps to magic or rare. It consumes too many currency items shifting the stats until I get something I'm happy with (temporal chains and low or no mana regen are real killers). I don't think I'm just "lucky" - I played too much for it to be just a fluke.

My only complaint so far is that I keep getting the same few maps over and over. More variety would be nice. A lot more.

I know this is going to make me sound like an ass, but everyone does know that maps can be normal white items, right? If you have your UI options set to filter out white items then you won't see them.
Old minions never die... they just wander off and abandon you right before you run into a pack of angry monkeys.
I've been playing a ton since the 9.11 patch came out, I've gone from level 75 to almost level 76 (only 5% more to go) from just doing pyramids / maps. I have 50% item quantity on my gear. I've probably spent a third of my time in the pyramids. The highest level map I managed to get to was level 64, and that was only once.

Sometimes I'd get a ton of maps, the act 2 boss would drop them two at a time and I'd have 3 sitting in in my inventory and then suddenly I wouldn't get anymore for awhile. The longest time I spent running pyramids because I couldn't find a map was around two hours.

I was in a party with 3 other people for awhile. We never ran out of maps, and the screen was filled with items. I remember one of the devs saying that the bonus item quantity you get from being in a party wouldn't have any effect inside maps. Was that changed? It's possible that one of my party members had a ton of item quantity but it seemed like even when I was the one who killed the unique bosses they flooded the screen with items.

The strategy I've been using with the maps I've found is to transmute them then roll alteration orbs on them. The mods I try to get are any combination of: area is larger, area is a maze(this seems to greatly increase the size of a map), more monster pack size, two unique bosses, more rare monsters, more magic monsters. The goal is to get mods that increases the amount of monsters, which then increases the number of items that drop and rely on that to get more maps rather then relying on the quantity% modifier maps get from having a ton of difficult mods. I'm not sure how effective this strategy is though.

I just spent an hour farming the pyramid and finally got a map. I rolled it until it had area is a maze and 41% more monster pack size. I got 3 more maps from it.

I think the drop rate is okay, it seemed like I had more map drops before the 9.11c patch but that's probably because I was in a party most of the time. I also think it's way too easy to indefinitely run maps when you're in a group.

I should also point out that every map I've seen drop so far has been a white item. It seems kind of strange because I have 60% increased item rarity and even when the act2 boss and map unique bosses dropped maps they would be white items, often being the only white items in the pile.
Last edited by Danos on Jul 24, 2012, 6:56:22 PM
Levelled my witch today from 67 to 70 without finding a single map in Act 2 Merciless zones (yes I tried other zones beside the pyramid). I understand that could be a rare case of extreme bad luck, but even with that I don't exactly feel inclined to log in tomorrow to continue that streak. It's just not fun, and when a game stops being fun, well...
Played a solid amount pyramid and some fellshrine and yet to see a map drop. RNG is a cruel mistress.
I know i'm going to be crucified for this but the drop rate seems too high now, at least in terms of the number of maps you find inside other maps. As i posted earlier, it took a long time to get a map out of pyramids but since then i have literally never had to farm another one. From the last 20 maps i've run here is the breakdown of how many maps i find within the map i'm running:

0 maps - 3
1 map - 6
2 maps - 4
3 maps - 4
4 maps - 2
5 maps - 1

So from running 20 maps i ended up finding 39 maps, which is just 1 short of an average of 2 per map. That seems ridiculous high to me if you were intending them to be rare. Also, i never rerolled the maps i found, i just used 1 alch on them and that's it. So they were not all +% area or +% monster size, etc. Yes, it is a small sample size and i will continue to keep track to see if it continues.

I'm running with 93% quantity which may be the reason but it still seems high despite that.
"
Danos wrote:
The strategy I've been using with the maps I've found is to transmute them then roll alteration orbs on them. The mods I try to get are any combination of: area is larger, area is a maze(this seems to greatly increase the size of a map), more monster pack size, two unique bosses, more rare monsters, more magic monsters. The goal is to get mods that increases the amount of monsters, which then increases the number of items that drop and rely on that to get more maps rather then relying on the quantity% modifier maps get from having a ton of difficult mods. I'm not sure how effective this strategy is though.

Very good, you figured out all the mods but one. That mod is the Sea Witches mod, good for you.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info