What is Allocating Space at the install ?

Correction to previous comment: you need ~6G (it says it downloads 5.7G, but actually needs ~5.9G)
Ok so using swap+memory worked like magic, it didn't even poke the disk during Allocating Space, just "breezed through" my ram in ~5 minutes:)

So here's what i did in detail:

This is a variation on the SSD speedup. We'll basically create a volatile filesystem which consists of physical memory and hard disk space. This will ensure that the Allocating Space phase will actually be checking your ram instead of your disk which is very fast. I have 4G ram+4G swap, so a 6G tmpfs (which is memory+swap) fits. If you are unsure about your memory/swap size run 'free -h'.

As root run:
# mkdir /ram # you can remove this folder later
# mount -t tmpfs none /ram -o size=6G

Now as regular user:
$ cd ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files\ \(x86\)/Grinding\ Gear\ Games # your dir structure may differ
$ mv Path\ of\ Exile /ram
$ cd /ram/Path\ of\ Exile
$ wine Setup.exe

Once installation finished MOVE THE FOLDER BACK from /ram otherwise all will be lost @ next poweroff!
$ cd /ram
$ mv Path\ of\ Exile ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files\ \(x86\)/Grinding\ Gear\ Games/
This will take a while as you'll be writing a fresh ~5.9G to your disk. Also your computer will slow down a lot (depending on how much ram you have), so be aware.

Now you can unmount the volatile fs (make sure everything's finished, you're not cd'd into it blabla):
# umount /ram

Done!

Note: Once you run out of memory the installation will slow down to "regular speed" as it will start swapping to disk, however your whole computer will slow down as well (as other programs will start to swap too). This is supposed to happen, just make sure you dont use up that mem+swap-6G(=2G for me) with other programs. If you do and run out of swap... well bad things happen: the OOM-killer will start to kill random processes, in particular your installation process will probably be the first.
There's an easier fix.

1) install "eatmydata", or
2) upgrade to 1.5.28-PathOfExile version of wine in PlayOnLinux which includes the async file fix.
"
Drakier wrote:
There's an easier fix.

1) install "eatmydata", or
2) upgrade to 1.5.28-PathOfExile version of wine in PlayOnLinux which includes the async file fix.

I think all these problems could have been solved if they packaged the whole game into a single large install file and put it out as a torrent and host it from their servers. With good seeds you can download at megabytes a second and you can install the whole game right away.

Unfortunately that isn't the case but has anyone tried to run path of exile through Razer Game Booster?
Allocating space takes as long as download? And my PC is slowed as hell while allocating so i cant do anything with it...
How is this even possible?? Name any other game with this problem...
This is abnormal and should be changed as soon as possible.
"
kung111cz wrote:
Allocating space takes as long as download? And my PC is slowed as hell while allocating so i cant do anything with it...

Allocating Space is done to make room on your drive for all the files it needs to download. It's allocating 6GB of space. If your hard disk is slow or highly fragmented, it will take longer to do. It does this allocation by attempting to mark each block on your hard drive it can find as reserved for use by the Content.ggpk file.

Other games have similar things, however they're generally more hidden because it does both at the same time (allocating space and downloading content). It's just a change in the way GGG has done it that makes it look worse than it is. It's actually not a bad idea to check if you have the available space to download the content rather than let the user attempt to download everything only to end up not having enough space 3 hours into it.

I also doubt the allocating space takes as long as the full download unless you have some serious hard drive issues. If it affects your PC to the degree you say it does, then you've got other issues as your IDE/RAID controller is doing things it shouldn't.
"
Drakier wrote:
"
kung111cz wrote:

Allocating Space is done to make room on your drive for all the files it needs to download. It's allocating 6GB of space. If your hard disk is slow or highly fragmented, it will take longer to do. It does this allocation by attempting to mark each block on your hard drive it can find as reserved for use by the Content.ggpk file.

Other games have similar things, however they're generally more hidden because it does both at the same time (allocating space and downloading content). It's just a change in the way GGG has done it that makes it look worse than it is. It's actually not a bad idea to check if you have the available space to download the content rather than let the user attempt to download everything only to end up not having enough space 3 hours into it.

I also doubt the allocating space takes as long as the full download unless you have some serious hard drive issues. If it affects your PC to the degree you say it does, then you've got other issues as your IDE/RAID controller is doing things it shouldn't.

It is bad idea. First of all 6 GB is nothing today. Every PC which passes minimum requirements has at least 250 GB HDD. Who would not have free 6 GB on this...And those who knows that their HDD is full will free some space before instalation for sure.
And secon of all every game before instaling checking free space but it always take few seconds.
And last but least if other games during instalation or downloading find out that your HDD is full they will ask you to free some space and then continue instalation with no problem...
Blizzard games are best in this. Their games need download only minimal setup (200MB - 1GB)and rest of game will download during playing ( I not fun of Blizz, just adding another possibility how to instal game)
This is not fault of my HDD the whole instalation of this game is , like i said, abnormal.
PS And my HDD has no issues...I know how to take care of it.
Last edited by kung111cz on May 16, 2013, 1:33:40 PM
Windows 7 here, 229 GB available. Honestly, if I just had to wait 1 hour or so for allocating space during the install, I'd be ok with it (slow, but I can wait). However, I'm nearing the 12 hour mark now. And I don't even know what I'm waiting for in all honesty.
"
Akaon wrote:
Windows 7 here, 229 GB available. Honestly, if I just had to wait 1 hour or so for allocating space during the install, I'd be ok with it (slow, but I can wait). However, I'm nearing the 12 hour mark now. And I don't even know what I'm waiting for in all honesty.

How fragmented is your hard drive? what is the file size of the content.ggpk file? I'd it's been going that long, I would close it and retry. It shouldn't have to start over.
Defragmented weekly, and 4.74 GB, just decided to restart it :(. (had the feeling it wasn't progressing at all anymore)

Edit: for good measures restarted pc as well, this time it's coming along rather fast, thank god!
Last edited by Akaon on May 25, 2013, 4:53:51 PM
The design choices in this regard make complete sense for a long term gaming investment. I imagine that as the game continues to grow over the years, it will continue to get larger and larger. I wish I could think of a less.. generic example, but I don't normally play MMOs as such, so I can't think of a title that has.. substance... but regardless: even WoW wasn't always the >16GB monster that it is now. PoE will grow over time, and eventually this design choice will pay off. It's already saving people from wasting bandwidth in a world of bandwidth caps.

"
Akaon wrote:

Defrag your drive for pity's sake! I've only been at this for ~45 minutes and it's now 3/4 done allocating.
"
Drakier wrote:
It is bad idea. First of all 6 GB is nothing today. Every PC which passes minimum requirements has at least 250 GB HDD. Who would not have free 6 GB on this...And those who knows that their HDD is full will free some space before instalation for sure.
And secon of all every game before instaling checking free space but it always take few seconds.
And last but least if other games during instalation or downloading find out that your HDD is full they will ask you to free some space and then continue instalation with no problem...
Blizzard games are best in this. Their games need download only minimal setup (200MB - 1GB)and rest of game will download during playing ( I not fun of Blizz, just adding another possibility how to instal game)
This is not fault of my HDD the whole instalation of this game is , like i said, abnormal.
PS And my HDD has no issues...I know how to take care of it.

A bit of a tangent before I respond to you.
I defragged my drive once half a year ago, and it was the only time I did it. Aparently it wasn't fragmented at all, which baffles me. At the time I was fumbling with explorer.exe being slow as snail, which I only recently fixed by disabling a few services.

This computer is 7. years. old. OS install is ~3.8 years. I can't even use pixel shader 2.0, which may or may not be in use in this game (prayhope it isn't.Nope. 3.0. Was fun while it lasted.) I've got 465 GB of space, and all but 11GB of that is used. At one point I freed up 200 GB but that was filled up in less than a month. I have no idea where it went, but free space is getting scarce. 2 2.4GHz cores, 3GB ram. My point is that even on this old bas-.. chap things are still moving along steadily. Have manufacturers been getting skimpy on quality this last decade? I keep hearing about people needing to replace parts of their computer every 2-3 years, but I've never had a single hardware related failure on this machine, and I threw the bugger down a set of stairs when I was quite a bit younger. The power unit is a bit loose in the back, but that's not much of a hassle so long as I don't move the power cord in a way that makes it fall out.

Back on topic though... I don't know what parts you're using, what you've done to your rig, but it is entirely on YOU that this... 'abnormality' as you put it, is happening. My allocation just finished, and is now downloading at ~1.5 - ~4.2 MB/s. I expect that in another 35-50 minutes it will be done downloading, and I can find out if my current graphics card can run this game.

Your computer is abnormal, go fix it.
Last edited by lokino on Jun 6, 2013, 4:18:52 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info