What is Allocating Space at the install ?

My Allocating Space phase it taking almost an hour to complete, but from what I've heard about this game it's worth it.
"
My Allocating Space phase it taking almost an hour to complete, but from what I've heard about this game it's worth it.
they still didn't fix it? lol.
And worst change is putting almost all bosses in new version of maps into fucking small areas, where you can't kite well or dodge stuff. What a terrible idiot invented that I want say to him: dude flick you, seriously flick you very much.
"
silumit wrote:

What is there to fix?

There is a lot of allocation that has to happen, and some systems respond more quickly to this than others.

Read my previous reply for possible causes of slowdown (not counting hardware problems, or slow HDDs)
"
Drakier wrote:
"
silumit wrote:

What is there to fix?

There is a lot of allocation that has to happen
Uh... this excuse isn't even laughable, it's just pathetic. There is one file to allocate - that monster ggpk. And its size is known to installer beforehand. One 4-gigabyte file. Why the F it takes it tens of minutes to allocate one file?
Just tested with a simple script that writes 8Mb string 512 times to a file. Just because that language can't handle 16Mb strings, heh. It took 32 seconds, and this is on my work PC with old crappy HDD. It takes minutes to allocate that ggpk on my home PC on an SSD(edit: when I didn't have an ssd that - obviously - took even longer). With antivirus active, btw. Also, my work HDD is way more fragmented that my home ssd, that's for sure.
So please cut the crap about "lot of allocation to happen".
Damn, come to think of it, my torrent client at home allocates files that are bigger than this ggpk way more faster, and my torrents are all on hdd, not on ssd...
And worst change is putting almost all bosses in new version of maps into fucking small areas, where you can't kite well or dodge stuff. What a terrible idiot invented that I want say to him: dude flick you, seriously flick you very much.
Last edited by silumit on Apr 16, 2015, 11:27:18 PM
You clearly have no idea how the content.ggpk file or patching process work. Until you do, please don't call my "excuse" laughable.

It's not nearly as simple as you seem to believe. The size is NOT known up-front. Also the process that torrents use are not at all the same either. Those files have the content structure known at download time.
"
Drakier wrote:
You clearly have no idea how the content.ggpk file or patching process work. Until you do, please don't call my "excuse" laughable.

It's not nearly as simple as you seem to believe. The size is NOT known up-front. Also the process that torrents use are not at all the same either. Those files have the content structure known at download time.

You know I respect your opinion and knowledge Drakier, but silumit used bold text, so I am going to have to agree with him.

Sorry :(
== Officially Retired 27/02/2019 ==

Massive thanks to GGG for producing such a fun and engaging game, it has taken up faaaaaaar too much of my life over the last 5 years.

Best of luck in the future!
"
Drakier wrote:
You clearly have no idea what I do know and what I don't. So I will call them laughable until they cease to be such.
"
Drakier wrote:
It's not nearly as simple as you seem to believe. The size is NOT known up-front.
At least when installing a fresh game, ggpk's size must be known beforehand. How could it be otherwise? Even when patching, there should be calculation of diff followed by a single calculation of needed space, and only after that should allocation begin.
Did you try to say that allocation is split into phases? If so, prove it, else you just posting some made-up crap so everybody think you know in detail how PoE patcher/installer work. And frankly I don't believe you know more about it that anyone else outside of GGG.
"
Drakier wrote:
Also the process that torrents use are not at all the same either. Those files have the content structure known at download time.
OK, let's try to be constructive here.
The only thing PoE's allocator does is create zero-filled(sic!) file. Zero-filled. File. Zero. Filled. File. THE ONLY thing it does is create a ZERO-FILLED file. Really, just ONE zero-filled file. Do you get it? If not, re-read that paragraph some more time, please.
(Amazingly, the torrent programs do... exactly the same - they also create ZF files. So these 2 processes are totally identical. I won't say anything about what follows next - obviously, algorithms that DL and write actual data on disks are very different, but the allocators do Exactly The Same Jobs)
Now back to allocator - only after that ZF file is created, PoE installer/updater starts actual DLing of game data. So the allocator DOES know actual size of data beforehand. And yet it takes it so much time to allocate, it's like a miracle with "minus" sign...
edit: about "content structure" - in case of a torrent consisting of one 4+gb file, the "content structure" from the standpoint of an allocator - which doesn't know shit about internal file structure because it just fills it with fkn zeroes (is it so hard to understand?) - is totally the same for both torrent program allocator and PoE installer allocator - it is just one big file that should be filled with 0x00s.
Last edited by silumit on Aug 4, 2015, 6:19:28 AM
"

reinstalled game just to make sure i have tried 100 of possible bug-fixes for this bugged game:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1376424

seen 30 minutes of "allocating space" which reminded me that this game is just bad coded.
Last edited by Witchfavorit on Aug 4, 2015, 10:12:50 AM
What's really going on.

Spoiler
or, maybe there is another process going on simultaneously during allocation phase like scanning hd for third party programs. not saying it is, but for it to take that long every time even during a small patch (patch being much smaller load usually than complete install), well...

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info