What is Allocating Space at the install ?

"
silumit wrote:
"
dracoselene wrote:
btw, I copied my wife's across the network from her Steam client into my standalone client. It took about 3 minutes to copy. 12 Gigs in 3 MINUTES. from now on I'll just watch hers update in 10 minutes, then copy hers. I won't be waiting for hours ever again.
But wait, how did you pull that stunt? Drakier and Co were saying that creating such a big file should take dozens of minutes, if not hours! :D

got an official answer regarding this: when "allocating space", it creates an empty file and creates the file structure in it. that last process takes a while (probably because there is some special indexing) but they want to improve it. probably because xbox1 only has a hdd.
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
Allocating space... 2 hours... I would really suggest to redesign this step of the installation process.
2h allocating pff ... this theme still ignored by devs, but atleast that allocating nerd guy chased away that useless annoying mod hahaha :D
Running the installation on Linux, and having the same problem I did some research. I think it's wine that forces allocation to be synchronous (serially, not in parallel). So the fault is wine: https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=33146

Installing PoE on the same machine with HDD replaced by SSD is faster as well, especially under windows.
Last edited by spazzpp2 on Sep 10, 2017, 6:58:52 AM
40 minutes and counting, just doing the latest patch from 3.0.1d to 3.0.1e.
Bit of a joke.

i7-7700k
16GB DDR4
980 FTW
2 x 256GB SSD

Game installed on secondary SSD.
Will this ever be fixed ?
Agreed, this step needs an improvement.
Very time consuming specially for players who have limited game time because we also don't know when they will implement a patch.
"
zangora wrote:
Agreed, this step needs an improvement.
Very time consuming specially for players who have limited game time because we also don't know when they will implement a patch.

I completely agree, I have 1.74TB of free space.

If I try to install any other game on the face of the Earth. It shows "available space" and "required space." If the end user is unable to make the correct decision after being given those numbers, they should not be playing PC games.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info