What is Allocating Space at the install ?

I've been trying to install the game, and it spent about 8 hours in this "allocatng space" state so far, still not done.... disk usage has increased by around 200MB in that time.

I'm on linux/wine

the output of iotop looks like this during that time

TID PRIO USER DISK READ DISK WRITE SWAPIN IO> COMMAND
856 be/3 root 0.00 B/s 0.00 B/s 0.00 % 97.36 % [jbd2/dm-4-8]
19244 be/4 user 0.00 B/s 144.59 K/s 0.00 % 0.12 % Y:\spiele\Path of Exile\Client.exe

so it's definitely doing something, but it's veeeery inefficient.
I had the same issue (also on Linux/wine), not even remotely finished after 4 hours. I then canceled, moved the corresponding wine folder to my SSD and restarted the whole process. It took maybe two minutes...
"
davros70 wrote:
Its checking that you have enough space for the download and the install (after its unpacked and installed)

That would take 2-3 seconds. What is it doing?
If you do not have Content.ggpk, what is it doing?

Is it manually moving files around in the HDD like a defragmentation application?
Is it writing a 6 Gigabyte file to install directory?
Is it creating a 6 GB file somewhere in %tmp% so the files can be downloaded over there, and then moved to the main bulk?
I also have this problem. Gave up after ~six hours. Currently installing to a ramdisk, then copying it back.
The Allocating Space issue in Linux/Wine is a problem due to some incompatibility between what the game is trying to do and the EXT filesystem as far as I can tell.

Best bet is to install the game initially in a Windows install, then copy over once it has been done. After the initial BIG Allocating Space, there are really no other big ones I have had. There have been a few patches where it has had to Allocate Space before, but those took less than 5 minutes to complete (including downloading the content).

I haven't been able to properly test other filesystems on linux, but it might be worth a shot to see if it speeds up performance.
For me, it took abot 2 HOURS to complete the "Allocating Space..." process!!

This is the first time I'm seeing such ...nonsense?

I'm using a Core i7 laptop with 8GB RAM, and with 2TB disk space distributed over 4 partitions in 2 1TB drives. Using Windows 7 Ultimate x64.

The installation partition has 126GB free disk space.

No other games I have installed so far EVER needed to do this!
Last edited by amgreenhawk on Mar 1, 2013, 9:49:11 AM
Actually all excuses are non-sense.
Practically, NO GAME allocates space like POE does
You can have 100 reasons that PoE need to perform such lengthening operation, but time is the issue
We customers are not interesting in understanding how it performed such wicked, rediculous step.
It is just a major flaw indicates the game does stupidly on installation.
Whether PoE supresses Diablo III or not, it DID supress all games on installation time.

Good job!

Wait 125min and still allocates space on my 3TB new HDD.

Update: another rediculous step:
Now it is downloading, but the progression indicate 1205.71% over 100% (2.82GB/239.2MB)
Could anyone tell what 1205% indicates?

Fix it!

Last edited by khadgar on Mar 5, 2013, 9:05:06 AM
Devs: please add an option to disable the "Allocating space" step or disable it by detecting Wine. Linux filesystems do not suffer from the fragmentation issues that make it a good idea under Windows.
I fixed my problem running as Administrator... :D
If you have a lot of memory you could try using a ramdisk (5G would be more than enough) to speed up the disk poking and cpy back to hdd when done. Unfortunately i only have 4G ram, but with swap i can maybe speed it up at least a bit.
(64bit Arch here)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info