What is Allocating Space at the install ?

"

Does Content.ggpk contain anything other then random uninitialized space during the "Allocating Space" stage? If so, is it possible to just write 4GB empty file under Linux then restart the installer?

It works like this:
Client connects to server; negotiates what data needs to be synchronized ("Checking resources" stage)
Client receives content index data (filenames, metadata, ect ("Checking resources")
Client allocates sufficient storage within the archive ("Allocating storage")

So the answer is yes it does (indexes, headers, ect), and it potentially wont be static either depending on how they package/distribute the patch data.

However the amount of actual information is negligible. The reason it takes so long is the method the developers chose to allocate space (see my thread about it).
"The problem is there ARE secure netcodes" -- Pewzor
After reading all those post about the installation I have to agree with a lot of them since it can't be this way. You can't create a space on the HDD taking that long this is ridiculous. Mine tooks around 1h to allocate space and now downloading 5Gb... It could have at least start the download while creating the space.

Seriously fix your allocating space problem, you're doing it wrong GGG.
At least you guys are finishing. I tried installing, uninstalling and reinstalling, using the packcheck file, repairing files, basically everything to install this game new each time and everytime it is at the allocating space part, it takes not even 1 minute to get about 80% full and then it promptly x's out and gives me an error message saying "Not enough space on the disk".

My Hard Drive has 538gb of free space... I have no idea what to do..
I'm running windows 7 64 bit and am currently on my third hour of allocating space, so it's not a Linux issue.
This is a dumb message... if it said something else, like "Installing..." or whatever it wouldnt be sp disturbing at all.
I mean wtf is allocationg space? Deleting random files in random timestamps / converts my Full HD movies to some lower quality ... or wut...
"
Kvrrr wrote:
This is a dumb message... if it said something else, like "Installing..." or whatever it wouldnt be sp disturbing at all.

+1
All it is doing is downloading the update, verifying the update downloaded then merging the update in to the GGPK file/replacing other files.

You'd think it would download the update first, however in order for it to verify the download is completed, it must first check and reserve sufficient HDD space for the update to ensure the download is successful.

If it starts downloading when there isn't enough space for the update then it just wasted your time downloading something that won't fit which is terrible when talking about something this big (4GB). This is the other reason behind it.

It also makes sense to continue to use this method when it comes to updates as it ensures the content that downloaded, downloaded correctly before attempting to apply it.
Computer specifications:
Windows 10 Pro x64 | AMD Ryzen 5800X3D | ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi) Motherboard | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti Gamer | Corsair AX 760watt PSU | Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD & WD Black FZEX HDD
Last edited by Nicholas_Steel on Feb 13, 2013, 11:06:10 AM
"If it starts downloading when there isn't enough space for the update then it just wasted your time downloading something that won't fit which is terrible when talking about something this big (4GB). This is the other reason behind it."

what a weird way to think of things, more hand holding..

HOw about what most people do on a daily process when installing games? think for oneself?

Oh look package is 4gb -unpacked./installed 4.5gb .. i have 10gb thats plenty.. cick download/install

oh patch comes, 1.0gb.. unpacked/installed 1.2gb 4.5+1.2 = 5.7gb I had 10gb oh thats fine carry on im not a tool for installing on harldy any space afterall..

job done.

"
Kvrrr wrote:
I mean wtf is allocationg space? Deleting random files in random timestamps / converts my Full HD movies to some lower quality ... or wut...

there is this thing from the future dunno if you have heard of it before it's call computer maybe you can learn a bit more about it someday in the future
Maybe if enough chime in the devs will fix it?

Win7 64-bit user here. I have a 24mbps link. I'm looking at 48.20% installed. It's coming up on hour two.

And the installing only started about 15 minutes ago.

So basically... allocating space took 1.5 hours, and at this rate the download and install will take about 45 minutes.

There's something very, very wrong with that.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info