Increased Burning Damage

crit damage boost of 100% make fire damage 3 times post calc base amount or: 1.5 *2 = 3.
base burning damage and duration is 1/3rd per second for 4 seconds.
lets use a lv 11 burning damage gem (for easy math because 50% boost to burning damage) so: 1/3 *1.5 = 0.5 times fire damage per second.

now the damage comparison chart (in order of none, crit, burn, both) using 100 fire damage hit:
100 *1.5 [crit] = 150 *1/3 [burn] = 50 *4 [time] = 200 total burning damage
100 *3 = 300 *1/3 = 100 *4 = 400
100 *1.5 = 150 *0.5 = 75 *4 = 300
100 *3 = 300 *0.5 = 150 *4 = 600

150 +200 =350 total damage (fire + burn)
300 +400 =700
150 +300 =450
300 +600 =900

they are completely interchangeable for the specific but broad situation of crit sourced burn. a boost from one gives full results, even if mixed.
Also of note: not everything is Crit-based. If you don't stack Crits and are playing an Ignite build, the Crit Damage gem is almost entirely useless.
Have been playing around with a new summoner build for the last few days.

Been trying to do research from the forum, wiki and whatever else.

My quick question is does this gem interact with the Minion Instability keystone?
IGN: Gumaru / Gumario / FoonNotSpork / Shield_For_Pants / Shockingly_Expensive
don't think MI can crit but chance to ignite support gem works (or a shield with ignite chance if using necro aegis but that doesn't exist), linked to minions you want to go boom of course. once burning is able to happen in that case, yes it'll get benefit from this thread's support. mind you, that is a lot of work (two supports) for barely much return when can use different supports to boost minions and thier after effect.
I think that it would go well with Fire Trap + Concentrated Effect for dishing out huge amounts of fire damage to small groups.
Light as a neutral force.

The new flesh emerges.
"
soul4hdwn wrote:
don't think MI can crit but chance to ignite support gem works (or a shield with ignite chance if using necro aegis but that doesn't exist), linked to minions you want to go boom of course. once burning is able to happen in that case, yes it'll get benefit from this thread's support. mind you, that is a lot of work (two supports) for barely much return when can use different supports to boost minions and thier after effect.

Fair point, thanks for clarifying - I am indeed using "chance to ignite" gem, so sounds like this gem only takes effect when burning (from crits or ignite) procs.

I only have trouble with this because it's so ambiguous - the gem itself simply says "X% increased burning damage" and my summon spells says "minions have X% increased burning damage" without any further info around mechanics.
IGN: Gumaru / Gumario / FoonNotSpork / Shield_For_Pants / Shockingly_Expensive
well if they're using added fire, thats not so bad because even thier normal attacks might burn... but thats still 3 supports and fills up an entire helm/glove/boot.

anyways "increased burn damage" works on fire trap's ground burn, and the righteous fire thread (or some other thread, i don't remember) showed it works on it too. then lastly it definitely works on searing bond (one of only few that does for it).
The gem might be ok, but what is bad is that to make burning work good you require a lot of point investment AND a 5-link minimum. Was hoping to make burning arrow duelist but half-way through it seems i will end up using lightning arrow as it's a much cost-efficient option.
IGN: AlCohonez, GhengizCohen
idk... with max quality gems and burn related passives but no uniques, 9 second burning of 80% of the fire damage hit that caused it per second and happening 48% of the time... sounds fun.
Does the quality effect of increased burning damage add 0.45% chance per quality? It says so on the wiki, but I have a 18% Q increased burning damage yet it has 9% chance to ignite.
[Hardcore league]
IGN: Jeria / Metalgrid

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info