Increased Burning Damage

It's probably just 0.5% and the wiki's wrong.
It'd be quite nice if this was just Increased Damage over Time.
same name in-game
is this multiplicative or additive?

say I do 200 fire on a crit, usual burn is 200 / 3 x 4 = 267

now if i have searing touch, this gem, and some burn passives for a total of 150% increased burning damage, is the new damage:

267 x 2.5 = 667?

or lets say the initial 200 was from a +200% spell/fire/ele increase, is it now this? :-

200/3 x 4.5 = 300 x 4/3 = 400??

you can understand how op the xve case is compared to the +ve one...

[quote="DirkAustin"]They can always make a loser league where Monsters do no damage and you one shot everything. Goodness, people, just don't play in the hard parts of the game if you cant handle them.[/quote]

Increased = additive.
More = multiplicative.
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
"
MortalKombat3 wrote:
Increased = additive.
More = multiplicative.

yes i know that

but your post is still useless
[quote="DirkAustin"]They can always make a loser league where Monsters do no damage and you one shot everything. Goodness, people, just don't play in the hard parts of the game if you cant handle them.[/quote]

200 damage fire skill with 200% fire damage passives and 230% burn damage increase (80% gem, 70% searing, 80% passives) also 75% burn duration boost because why not. HOWEVER, no res on mob though.

200 *(1+ 2.00) = 600
(1/3) *(1+ 2.30) = 1.1
4 *(1+ 0.75) = 7

600 *1.1 = 660 burn damage per full second
660 *7 = 4620 burning damage total
"
soul4hdwn wrote:
200 damage fire skill with 200% fire damage passives and 230% burn damage increase (80% gem, 70% searing, 80% passives) also 75% burn duration boost because why not. HOWEVER, no res on mob though.

200 *(1+ 2.00) = 600
(1/3) *(1+ 2.30) = 1.1
4 *(1+ 0.75) = 7

600 *1.1 = 660 burn damage per full second
660 *7 = 4620 burning damage total

source this is 100% so?
"
jsn006 wrote:
source this is 100% so?
why are you asking for source? baseline burn damage is 1/3rd the fire damage that caused it, each second for 4 seconds total. players typically summarize this to 4/3 times the fire damage but that isn't the value used when applying modifiers.
"
soul4hdwn wrote:
"
jsn006 wrote:
source this is 100% so?
why are you asking for source? baseline burn damage is 1/3rd the fire damage that caused it, each second for 4 seconds total. players typically summarize this to 4/3 times the fire damage but that isn't the value used when applying modifiers.

wow do u read?

source its working as a MORE multiplier like you calculated it instead of INCREASED on top of other spell/fire/ele increases (ie additively) on a per frame basis? Dont tell me your reasoning dictates so and its common sense bla bla, I want confirmation from a dev preferably. I hate it when someone has a 'because I told you so' attitude.

Example 100% increased burn damage, 500 fire hit made up of 200 base and 150% increases

damage is either 500 x 2 x 4/3 --> 1333 (according to you)

or 200 x 3.5 x 4/3 --> 933 (according to me)

The former is almost a 40% overall damage difference ...

(Unbelievable I pm'd mark about this and cleave, in simple yes or no format, and I got no answer, but he answers questions on the forums all day .... sigh)
"
jsn006 wrote:
(Unbelievable I pm'd mark about this and cleave, in simple yes or no format, and I got no answer, but he answers questions on the forums all day .... sigh)
I gave a reasonably prompt reply (it would have been faster if you hadn't PM'd me at 7pm after I'd left work). The reason you haven't seen it is because you PM'd me from your other account, which is currently on probation from the forums, not this one, on which you're probation dodging.

Which I have informed support about, and they'll do with what they will.

Fore reference, here's the response:

(1) About increased burn dmg being overall multiplicative or additive"
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
1) Increased burning damage is an increase, which always means it's additive with other increases to the same value. You clearly understand this given that you stacked the various sources of burning damage additively to get the total, not multiplicatively.

An increase to the damage of the initial hit and an increase to the damage caused by the ignited status triggered by that hit are not applying to the same thing, and it's not possible for those to be additive - your second example literally cannot possibly happen, because you've completely skipped over the fact that resistances are applied to the damage between those two steps. Your damage for a hit and the damage taken by the enemy are fundamentally not the same value, and increases to one are not analogous to increases to the other.

(2) About cleave and the extra penalty for dual wield
"
Mark_GGG wrote:

2) It means exactly what it says. It's a reduction (additive) to physical damage dealt with weapons while dual wielding. Damage effectiveness is an entirely separate multiplicative penalty that applies only to added damage. I don't understand what you're confused about here.
Last edited by Mark_GGG on Jul 11, 2013, 10:45:58 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info