Sick of Diablo III so here I am.

"
Kyliathy wrote:
POE has far more polish in certain aspects (such as beauty of art and environments).

I wouldn't necessarily call that "polish." If you polish a crappy shoe or chair, it will look shiny for a crappy shoe or chair. GGG has designed a much prettier-looking game, IMO, more intricate and all that good stuff, but the metaphorical shine hasn't been really applied yet.

I'd take polish to be the lack of bugs and graphical anomalies, shadow borders being fixed, things of that nature. And we're not quite there yet.

To SmashKAB and all the others who have joined since, however, welcome to Wraeclast! :)
Invited to Beta 2012-03-18 / Supporter since 2012-04-08
Last edited by VideoGeemer on May 23, 2012, 7:40:42 PM
"
Tagek wrote:
I'm sorry, but if your account was 'Hacked', it was you being silly with your account information.

The same thing happened to me with WoW once.

'Hacking' doesn't even really exist when talking about games. The only time accounts get stolen or looted is due to the owner not being careful enough.

That said, welcome to PoE.
You'll have a great time with it.

100% true. If you dont give your password to anyone etc , your account is safe in every online game.

I dont belive some hackers hac your account .. milions of people buy diablo 3 , and there was only like...max 50 "stolen" accounts so far..oh sorry , not stolen :P shared by owner, in stupid way.

You get bored with PoE fast two ( dont get my wrong game is very good ). Its only beta with 2 acts..kill same monsters all the time.. same locations..
You gonna end cruel and get bored , but we all wait for official realse , not beta ;d
"
Pallad wrote:
"
Tagek wrote:
I'm sorry, but if your account was 'Hacked', it was you being silly with your account information.

The same thing happened to me with WoW once.

'Hacking' doesn't even really exist when talking about games. The only time accounts get stolen or looted is due to the owner not being careful enough.

That said, welcome to PoE.
You'll have a great time with it.

100% true. If you dont give your password to anyone etc , your account is safe in every online game.

This is not true. I've seen quite a few clever hacks... some using scripts, others using embedded html.

I've even seen a forum hack where if you 'moused over' an image (you didn't even have to click,) my friend could steal your session ID, log into your account, and get your account info.

There are also methods to do sql injection, and rainbow tables to reverse hashed passwords.

By no means are all systems online safe... it takes real coding caution to secure complex systems.
If you have account problems please [url="http://www.pathofexile.com/support"]Email Support[/url]
"
Pallad wrote:

I dont belive some hackers hac your account .. milions of people buy diablo 3 , and there was only like...max 50 "stolen" accounts so far..oh sorry , not stolen :P shared by owner, in stupid way.

There have been more than 50, just check their forums and you will see. Posts talking about people being able to see your session id and then spoof it to join a game as you can steal your stuff comes to mind but blizzard never confirmed it so who knows.

Seems stupid to make accusations on a large scale that everyone would somehow have 'shared' their account information.

I bought D3 unfortunately since all my friends have it and hope POE becomes more recognized since it is really the better of the two.
"
VideoGeemer wrote:
"
Kyliathy wrote:
POE has far more polish in certain aspects (such as beauty of art and environments).

I wouldn't necessarily call that "polish." If you polish a crappy shoe or chair, it will look shiny for a crappy shoe or chair. GGG has designed a much prettier-looking game, IMO, more intricate and all that good stuff, but the metaphorical shine hasn't been really applied yet.

I'd take polish to be the lack of bugs and graphical anomalies, shadow borders being fixed, things of that nature. And we're not quite there yet.

To SmashKAB and all the others who have joined since, however, welcome to Wraeclast! :)

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

I was struck, just last night, by a mesmerizing feature in the Old Fields section of Act 2 of PoE. I have always felt that the naturalistic beauty of the "normal" areas in that act was quite appealing, but...

I had reached the edge of a river, where it looped around the shoreline. At one point, it was relatively shallow, while on the other end of the loop, the increasing depth was uncannily well-rendered. I had to kill a few mobs just to get some peace and quiet to admire the sight. The water was crystal clear, rippling and glinting in the "sunlight," and it was perfect.

I saw nothing on this order of simple beauty in what I've seen of D3 (I know, I know: If I haven't played the game, I haven't seen it all. Perhaps the simple beauty comes in Inferno mode).

It's a matter of art style and preference, but I prefer PoE's realism. =^[.]^=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
"
Raycheetah wrote:

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

I think I came off poorly.

I think PoE is the better-looking game by far. I just don't equate a game's "polish" as how pretty it looks. I take polish to mean how smoothly it runs without errors or issues. How refined, fine-tuned, things like that.

Like in music engineering, the "polish" and even "sheen" is usually a reference to the mastering process, which has nothing to do with the mix levels, eq balance between the instruments or even what they are playing.

GGG is a band I connect with more, and playing a song I prefer, with cooler-sounding instruments and all that good stuff (translation, looks and plays more to my liking). But it hasn't been digitally mastered yet.
"
Covert wrote:
If we go by the incomplete item database on the website that’s 668 plus 28 equals 696.

Of which 10 will be useful ;)

And I know about armour looks, I was merely pointing this out to a newcomer who said he disliked the lack of visual variation in D3, and unless you shell out for it currently POE is actually worse than D3 in that regard. Im not knocking that revenue stream just letting him know where the game stands on it.

"
Raycheetah wrote:

I saw nothing on this order of simple beauty in what I've seen of D3 (I know, I know: If I haven't played the game, I haven't seen it all. Perhaps the simple beauty comes in Inferno mode).

It's a matter of art style and preference, but I prefer PoE's realism. =^[.]^=

D3 has some amazingly captivating areas, the whole of Act 2 is beautiful specially Daghur Oasis. Honestly I think its an amazing looking game, but while I like the hand drawn art style, I can see why others do not.
Last edited by RodHull on May 23, 2012, 10:14:02 PM
"
RodHull wrote:

D3 has some amazingly captivating areas, the whole of Act 2 is beautiful specially Daghur Oasis. Honestly I think its an amazing looking game, but while I like the hand drawn art style, I can see why others do not.

*Youtube*

I really like the look of the Caldeum Bazaar. The Oasis is kinda cool, but that bazaar actually looks really good IMO. And this from a guy who is "eh..." on the overall look of That Game. But then, just as I'm thinking "Hey, they actually have something here..." a series of battles happen, and ... no. Sorry, not for me.

PoE does need to place its outdoor areas in a bit more context to the larger world though IMO. They seem to separate; you can't look out from one area and see a distant city or anything, and each area is either dark or light, or raining, and it'd be nice to have day/night cycles or something more along that line.
I come here from D3 as well. Blizzard got too much WoW in my diablo... :p

I like to see people coming here to support the independents. I love the direction GGG has gone with PoE. It really feels right. The passive skill tree is amazing.

[No more beta keys... :( I wish I had a million to give out, but that's not the case. sorry]
"
RodHull wrote:

Of which 10 will be useful ;)

I would say more like 30 end game uniques will be useful. Each unique will be useful in its own way for its level. I picture them mainly used for niche builds/twinks.
RIP Bolto

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info