[April 12] Initial Development Manifesto Feedback

Regarding earlier tcp vs udp discussion, D3 and WoW are using tcp too, afaik.
My hovercraft is full of eels!
I want the GGG to add a mechanism that confirm map loading status.

Looks like sometimes the character start playing in server side while client side is still in loading screen. (And I lost a HC character at the Sarn Encampment WP while loading screen)

I have no knowledge about programmings, but it seems quite simple to me, just by adding a code to confirm the status of client side before starting the game at server side, it would never happen again to anyone (probably saying wrong thing though).
"
Algernon77 wrote:

They use TCP for features such as chat and trading which require guaranteed packet delivery, and UDP for the actual gameplay, as I'm sure PoE does as well.
[quote="Path of Exile forums"]Draft out of sync.[/quote]
I didn't read the multitude of responses, so I apologize if this was mentioned before. But I would like to see map mods that add rarity in addition to quantity. This would give incentive for players to do those harder map mods to have a higher chance at rare and unique items (especially since the huge nerf to chance orbs).

Also, not exactly related to the manifesto, a possible nerf to some of the map bosses while in solo play would be really nice. For example, I will not do the wharf snake. Its pure suicide to a melee character. On my RoA char or when with range based group comps, they can LOS snipe him. One hit from that GMP Poison as melee.. GG char.
twitch.tv/JeremyDwayne
youtube.com/JeremyDwayne
"
artemis42 wrote:
"
Algernon77 wrote:

They use TCP for features such as chat and trading which require guaranteed packet delivery, and UDP for the actual gameplay, as I'm sure PoE does as well.

Protocol analysis of my playing with my duelist in crossroads/merciless for about 2.5 minutes. I have a jabber client and web browser (one of the pages auto-updates) up as well.

Spoiler

97.95% TCP, 1.12% spanning tree (cisco switch/router), 0.65% UDP - most of which is a Dropbox LAN discovery protocol and SNMP.

I'm quite certain POE is not using UDP.
Oh, and because the packets are all rather small, we have roughly 50% overhead rather than a more typical 20%.
"
sacremon49 wrote:
"
artemis42 wrote:
"
Algernon77 wrote:

Protocol analysis of my playing with my duelist in crossroads/merciless for about 2.5 minutes. I have a jabber client and web browser (one of the pages auto-updates) up as well.

Spoiler

97.95% TCP, 1.12% spanning tree (cisco switch/router), 0.65% UDP - most of which is a Dropbox LAN discovery protocol and SNMP.

I'm quite certain POE is not using UDP.

Well I'm no network programmer, and I hate discussing things I know little about, but I thought a little about this and imagined this scenario: a bunch of exploders appear out of nowhere and you're out of mana, so you click on the other side of the screen so your character can avoid them. However, if that datagram was lost, your character would be dead, and you'd be none the wiser until you saw the resurrect button because your client would have happily rendered your character executing your action. Whereas if the game used TCP, network congestion could result in that packet taking half a second to get to the server, but it would get there, and that could save your character's butt.
[quote="Path of Exile forums"]Draft out of sync.[/quote]
Last edited by artemis42 on Apr 21, 2013, 2:01:03 PM
I raged quit a week ago while playing my 70 marauder...just so frustrating when I get those spikey heavy damage moments of instant death. It makes no sense to me at all that I can play with my buddy and he is a summoning witch...and I hide behind all his minions and dual totems. If I dare to jump into the fray on even some simple 66 maps I am instantly dead. I have the requisite 3000+ health, 10k+ armor, 75-80% resists....and whammo I get hit and I am dead. He just stands way back out of the fray putting up totems and skeletons and never gets touched. Hell his totems out damage me because I made a heavy physical damage marauder (hoping it would get some love at some point --- still waiting). So the theory of me being the big tank out front for his witch just doesnt happen. I hide in the back...wait till his totems clear out most of the mobs, then I jump in and mop up the stragglers. In reality he tolerates me there as he could solo everything but uses me for the drop rate increase (cause nobody wants to play with a summoner).

So after a week I decided to play again...first map, died. Died, died dead,died,dead. A blue fire spitting thingy hit me for less than 2 seconds and I was dead. 3 arrow skeletons hit me at the same time...and I was dead. I flicker striked in and hit the end boss...who then hit me back with one hit..and yes I was dead again.

Rage quit.

So I am back to leveling up my archer and Lightning Arrows. If I can only hide behind my buddies summons and totems I might as well have a character who will shine back there.

Melee is fucked up. Marauder sent to retirement home.
Amazing. Just amazing. People commenting on things they really don't understand. In particular blaming desync on the tcp network protocol.

IGN: Blaze_Ember
Last edited by vmrob on Apr 22, 2013, 12:21:47 AM
"
artemis42 wrote:
"
Algernon77 wrote:

"
vmrob wrote:
Amazing. Just amazing. People commenting on things they really don't understand. In particular blaming desync on the tcp network protocol.
Well, a quick test confirms at least one thing: Diablo 3 is TCP as well. And I don't mean a TCP/UDP hybrid; I mean wholly TCP.
Results:

On the one hand, it still seems that UDP would be the best protocol for transmitting positional data, while event data (damage dealt or received, items picked up) would still remain a TCP thing. On the other hand, you can't really blame a non-UDP implementation for huge desync relative to Diablo 3; there is something D3 is doing that PoE isn't to reduce desync, but it's not UDP.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Apr 22, 2013, 3:58:18 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info