[April 12] Initial Development Manifesto Feedback

"
Thalandor wrote:
D3 is also TCP, but D3 clients wait acknowledgement from the server before any commands you send translates into action. When you play D3, there's always this slight delay (50-100ms) to every action you do, which sometimes gets into the 300ms at which point the game feels laggy. It's kinda annoying because laggy gameplay happens regularly for me in D3. But no desync.

Figures; the D3 team treated the game like WoW Lite, complete with standard MMO net archetecture (full TCP, wait on ACK before acting).
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
ok ggg heres my take on the manifesto posts

Sync Issues: I wouldnt mind some more rubber banding. I see a lot of people using /oos binds etc, Im guessing you guys dont want everyone spamming that non stop, but I think 2 options would be nice, a rubber banding mode where you randomly band more to keep in sync, and a manual rubber band mode, where you have a dedicated mappable reync button that has a cool down to prevent chain spamming it all the time, but lets players choose when they want to be rubber banded so they can factor it into their play.

Melee and Phys damage woes: Yeah theyre a bit crappy atm. Heres what I would do, Id try to ease them both in one go by giving all melee physical damage a very short term status effect on monsters when hit, it would last maybe a second or less and be buffed by stun duration, and it acts like a mini enfeeble. Not as strong as enfeeble, but that sort of nerfing of the monsters damage and crits for a short time after being hit with melee physical means melee characters have more survivability face to face with enemies without range characters being able to somehow spec this advantage and still be ranged. This wouldnt be on crit, it would be a flat on hit effect that would be scaled in its effectiveness to balance with the on crit effects of elemental, so its not as powerful, its not doing any more damage its just nerfing how much damage youre taking when toe to toe using melee physical damage. Think of it like knocking the wind out of the foe for a short time, just enough that if you keep hitting them they stay slightly nerfed.

edit: forgot to add, the duration should scale with damage done, ie the slower, bigger damage 2 hander hits would cause it to last a little longer so that it doesnt promote either side of the attack speed/damage equation, its just a flat balanced survivability buff for all melee phys. I also dont think this is a replacement for an on crit phys damage effect, i think we need that too in order to help phys across the spectrum.

Last edited by Snorkle_uk on Apr 22, 2013, 2:00:15 PM
I just wanted to briefly discuss the racing. I really like the idea and have been in a few of the season 2 races so far. Its a lot of fun and the unique artwork prizes are great! The only thing I have a problem with is the gap between the pro and casual. Of course i expect the pros to do much better but let me break down (for example) the 1 hour solo race:

I level to 12 in about 45 min (like i said, I am casual) and get my 3 points for the race. I am not fast enough to get anything first (those people are so on top of stuff its crazy) so I am pretty much stuck with my 3 points, maybe i can get to 4 with some practice, but thats a big maybe. Also, I can only do maybe half a dozen races a week because I work 5 days a week (sometimes more).

Now, I love Kripp, but I am going to use him as my example (sorry Kripp). He is in almost every race. Lets look at the one hour race, lets say he only makes it to the 7 point place. Then he gets 10 for being #1 in his class. Lets also say he cleared one of the bosses first and got 2 additional points (mervil or something). So that is 19 points to my 3, and thats just the 1 hour race, and just 1 race of the 4 or more he did vs. the only one i could make it to that day.

I don't have time to do 1 week races, get to level 80 or so in a week? I don't have that much time to play :(. Right now I am hoping to make it to the 60 point mark by the end of the season, and that is iffy.

So, to end this wall of text, and know GGG is planning on making more changes to the races, can we get a little love for the more casual player? Maybe just like if we clear fetid pool, we get a point (even if we aren't first) and things like that? Just a way to rack up a few extra points without having the PoE reflexes of a cocaine addicted mongoose. A way to make the difference between the pros and the casuals not so huge? Is that fair? I don't see why not, but anyways, overall I am enjoying the races, good luck to you all.

TLDR: Make races more viable for casual players by introducing point rewards for doing things without having to be the first to do so (that would still be worth more points). Still planning on racing, just putting in my two cents.
IGN: FemmeFatality
Last edited by MrCardholder on Apr 22, 2013, 2:06:04 PM
Well I hope something is improved soon, because I can't even progress in normal difficulty.

At one moment everything seems fine... a few seconds later I see health dropping fast from mobs which I though were far away or even "invisible" ones. Most of the times it ends up with a "resurrect" button.

So sad, and I like this game so much :|

Well, I can wait.
Never give up, never surrender !

The de-sycn was there from the 1st day i play at 0.9.3. The rubberbanding was used to help tone it down, and it did.

However the severity of de-sycn got worst after a certain patch (as for which patch i not to going to say). The way i look at it, rubberbanding was just too extreme / over the top.
Let me put it this way,

before that certain patch:-
1. playing at 250ms is bearable and acceptable (even at sudden spike).
2. playing at 350ms is risky.

after that certain patch:-
1. playing at 250ms is risky and un-acceptable (even w/o the sudden spike).
2. playing at 350ms is near-impossible.

side not: due to the vast internet and its complexity, you can only do that much to improve it.

Perm. Retired from this unforgiving land of the Exiles.
Self-impost EXILED.
I just read the giant post about de-sync and it was very informative. My big take-away though is that it is completely possible to have the game be aware of when you are suffering from de-sync and how bad it is since it is all a difference between client and server truth and reconciling that difference.

So in the list of possible solutions why isn't not penalizing the player an option? Chris says it straight up: At best it's a bit annoying, at worst it is auto-death and hugely unfair. If you can monitor when it is happening and how bad it is why not just go into the post-death calculation, check how bad the player's de-sync was and either not penalize XP or not drop them from HC if it was too bad?

If it wasn't for the death penalties I'd trade rubberbanding and occasional desync death for a responsive game where I can actually spatially dodge every time. It's the death penalty that matters.

It isn't getting out of sync that is insanely frustrating, it is the death penalty applying when it wasn't your fault. That seems immediately solvable. Are we really that concerned about someone maybe getting a lucky extra-life if they de-sync at the perfect time when they were (debatable) already doomed by their actions? More concerned than we are about people just not playing because of the issue?
"
Scrynor wrote:
I just read the giant post about de-sync and it was very informative. My big take-away though is that it is completely possible to have the game be aware of when you are suffering from de-sync and how bad it is since it is all a difference between client and server truth and reconciling that difference.

So in the list of possible solutions why isn't not penalizing the player an option? Chris says it straight up: At best it's a bit annoying, at worst it is auto-death and hugely unfair. If you can monitor when it is happening and how bad it is why not just go into the post-death calculation, check how bad the player's de-sync was and either not penalize XP or not drop them from HC if it was too bad?

If it wasn't for the death penalties I'd trade rubberbanding and occasional desync death for a responsive game where I can actually spatially dodge every time. It's the death penalty that matters.

It isn't getting out of sync that is insanely frustrating, it is the death penalty applying when it wasn't your fault. That seems immediately solvable. Are we really that concerned about someone maybe getting a lucky extra-life if they de-sync at the perfect time when they were (debatable) already doomed by their actions? More concerned than we are about people just not playing because of the issue?

I don't know how easy it is to do what you say, but I agree with it. When I run into a room feeling like superman and get my ass handed to me and die, I know i deserved losing the last 2 hours of my life. But when I raise a skelly and lag out, or die to a mob hitting me when there are none to be found near me, it's extremely disheartening to lose those 2 hours. It makes you not want to play.
I don't want to speak for the devs but it sounds pretty do-able. Their list of potential solutions included things like monitoring the magnitude of de-sync of a character or area to control pushing different levels of mass re-sync. That is the same type of monitoring you would need to do to shield a player from death penalty. You could balance out how much protection you get and how long the protection lasts after a major re-sync event.

It's a pretty simple conceptual choice: Don't focus solely on reducing how often I suffer de-sync death, save me from de-sync death penalty. That's what we really care about.

I'm curious if they are avoiding this approach for a reason and what the reason might be or if they just haven't thought to pursue it yet as it feels like a bandaid instead of a cure which most developers hate (but I think the player base would greatly appreciate).
RE:
"
Chris wrote:

we are currently planning to add several modes for Loot Allocation in parties: Full Free-for-all, something close to the current system, and a mode with longer allocation duration for people who don't want to deal with item tension.

Games by their very definition are set-ups for conflict that evoke emotions, NOT to make everyone happy, winners and losers based on skill are often primary ingredients. FUN is overcoming obstacles NOT the lack of obstacles.

Giving people the choice to opt out of a difficult game mechanic is the dumbest thing GGG could possibly do. I’m still 100% convinced.

Instanced loot WAS the fatal flaw in D3, and the reason why it will never compare to D2.

When I said I played D2 for ten years what I meant was that every reset I would go back and play HC ladders, either until my character died or I got bored and sick of the rune dupes (usually before hitting lv 92-93) Why? Why go back to such an old game when there are thousands of others to choose from?

Because it was in fact, still goddamn fun. Every season I would see old acquaintances appearing on my friends list and some of the best gaming around would ensue. PoE for many of us has captured what D2 had, and more. I would argue that ultimately it was about loot, the loot competition, and friendly pacts to share loot and beat the system.

So what is fun? What is this ‘evoking of emotions’? First, you need to understand something important. CONTRAST: Simply put, gain is not rewarding unless there is also loss or the potential of loss. Defeating a difficult foe means nothing unless there was some risk involved; the same principal applies to loot. These things cannot be separated and still have the same value. (also the same in xp loss/ character death mechanics)

If something falls for someone else and everyone is off screen I might feel apprehensive about taking it. I think what if they come back for it and see me grabbing something they needed? I ‘feel’ apprehension.

Lets say a rare 2h mace falls, and I’m the only melee in the party and that’s my chosen weapon but someone else got it? I am curious what it was, I ask “can you show me that 2h?” - I might be ‘angry’ they won’t show me, I might be ‘happy’ if they drop it, I might be ‘jealous’ of they show me but say they will keep it.

There are literally dozens of other examples for situations like these that make a person ‘feel’ emotions – some good and some bad, all revolving around LOOT. All of it eliminated by this ‘no-tension’ or NON-FFA mode! This ‘it’ is in fact game immersion we are talking about, the player ‘feels’ what the character experiences and much if not all of it will be lost when every public game uses this mode.

It seems to me that many players are afraid of these negative possibilities and want to eliminate it; they are victims of fear itself. Now we are all going to have to suffer the game changing modifications because some people ‘just won’t try it’ – yes you know who you are. You won’t play the game the way it was designed and now it has to change because of… I’m sorry there is no other way to put it, I know it’s an awful word, but it’s true. BABIES.

What PoE needs is a wading pool for people to learn and make the transition then, not a sweeping change affecting all games default, HC and races.

So everyone knows about pacts where you make friends and agree to share loot or at least not compete with each other’s timers? Friendships are forged this way. (notice they get to do so by agreement, not by selecting ‘options’ when making a game and forcing it on anyone who joins) I’m still in touch with people I met over ten years ago because of FFA loot in D2. However, it happens all the time and often without words and even among strangers:

I’m playing in the one week HC race and last night I was running with a group that was just awesome – the three of us fighting for our lives descending Lunaris temple in cruel difficulty heading for Piety. (all with three day old found total crap gear) I made it a point to not pick up ANYTHING that didn’t fall for me. After a while I noticed that both of them were doing the same for me no big deal I can almost always get my loot if I wanted it anyway, I was just happy to be in a good group and wanted to show my gratitude.

Well guess what happened? A major fucking brawl breaks out. We had three champions with different auras stacking, monsters everywhere and simply no room for error – everyone dropping totems and curses and dashing through doors at the last moment as we wait for flasks to kick in and guess what falls for me while my health was at 1/10 full and in full retreat.

Both of them walked right past it and continued on… just awesome! I would not have blamed them if they took it, it was the one time I really could not beat the timer - being nice does pay off. It would have just been an emotionless ‘plunk sound’ of picking it up if the game was set to ‘no tension’ mode. I promise you it was anything but emotionless.

"
Chris wrote:

We initially announced that looting is free-for-all in Path of Exile.
It's important to us that Path of Exile has a cut-throat feel where players are not only competing against monsters, but also their fellow players.

The time would be increased by the time it takes for the character to run to the item. An item allocated to a ranged player might unallocate after two seconds, for example.
- It's important that the time is low enough that the player can only get the item if they are paying attention and make an effort to immediately grab it.
- The allocation times can be lower or non-existent in hardcore or cut-throat leagues.

To me, a full 'no tension' loot option is a betrayal of these statements. I would at least like to hear from Chris why these things were so 'important' and why they don't seem to matter now before they change it.
"
RE:
"
Chris wrote:

we are currently planning to add several modes for Loot Allocation in parties: Full Free-for-all, something close to the current system, and a mode with longer allocation duration for people who don't want to deal with item tension.

Games by their very definition are set-ups for conflict that evoke emotions, NOT to make everyone happy, winners and losers based on skill are often primary ingredients. FUN is overcoming obstacles NOT the lack of obstacles.

Giving people the choice to opt out of a difficult game mechanic is the dumbest thing GGG could possibly do. I’m still 100% convinced.

Instanced loot WAS the fatal flaw in D3, and the reason why it will never compare to D2.

Actually instanced loot WAS the best thing that D3 did. The lack of character development, easy to attain level cap, the horrible resist/armor system, uninspired item design, forced story mode on rails, and the fact that your character is simply the sum of their gear was why it will never compare to D2.

Calling the loot system a 'difficult game mechanic' is a joke. There is nothing difficult about picking up items when you have a decent connection to the server. There is nothing difficult about downloading scripts to pickup anything of value. There is no value in allowing other players to camp on drops and block other players pathing to items. Having loot options is GOOD for the game. FFA looting is fun, and personally I miss it, this gives me the opportunity to play true FFA without people feeling entitled to specific drops. It also gives me the ability to play in a casual friendly party without worrying about splitting up drops as we can just make longer times to ensure everyone gets what was allocated to them... This is a VERY GOOD thing for the game.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info