Art, Areas, and Effects Feedback Forum

I didn't see this section when I was posting these, they could be moved over.
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/21530
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/21534
We do what we must
because we can.
"
dwarflord wrote:
Hello,

- Player characters feels somehow big?
- Player characters proportions aren't fitting together.

I think it's more about the angle of the fixed camera.
He who fights with monsters
might take care lest he thereby
become a monster.
My views so far:

Transition "doors" need an effect. The plain white looks amateurish.

Sometimes tall scenery visually blocks the character and mobs (mainly the trees in act 2). Same thing at times with walls.

Metallic things need some shine here and there (or more shine) to make them stand out. I like the grim feel but with the colour palette as it is, everything tends to mush together too much.

More blood and guts !

Spell effects would double in their looks with their own coloured lighting.

At a high res the selection box for mobs could do with a few pixel increase imo. Not the selection outline, just the area that you can click to target a mob needs a tweak for large monitors.

Gameplay-wise I'm enjoying it a lot at the minute! Can't wait to see the refined and finished game :-)

I like the over-all art direction of PoE: It's dark, gritty and gory.

But of course there are things that would in my book enhance both the graphics quality and the atmosphere:

- Some areas have a glossy feel to it. While in some, this fits perfectly (damp, slimy walls), in others, it doesn't. If a surface is supposed to be dry or even just damp (without the slime), they usually look rather matt (or dull, compared to the shiny look we got)
- In many areas (the Submerged Passage for example) there's a notable lack of clutter and little doodads, critters etc. One the one hand, that makes in monotonous: no rest for the eyes. On the other, it feels not quite finished. Some debris, seaweed, skulls, mussel-shells, snail-shells or half-rusted equipment washed into a corner would add a lot of atmosphere. Add some of those shells the mob-crabs are "wearing" in various states of decomposition, and when the PC comes near, the whole shell starts shaking, but only some rat/vermin crawls out and skitters into the darkness.
12/12/12 - the day Germany decided boys are not quite human.
Last edited by Avireyn on Mar 17, 2012, 9:37:00 AM
ah uhm.. i love this game's graphic theme, but those green grass (and green trees too) in act 2 really bothers me. I think it should be a bit yellower, or darker....

the minimap sometime makes me confused (especially in pits or dungeons ).

weapon & armor should have some more effect on it, i really cant feel the differents between a new created character & a 3x lvl one .
Nothing on Earth lasts forever.
"
duyanh1363 wrote:

the minimap sometime makes me confused (especially in pits or dungeons ).

It's being worked on, afaik.
12/12/12 - the day Germany decided boys are not quite human.
Love the Warden's Quarters furnishing it is totally Fen Shui!
I appear to be living in "Romance Standard Time". That has to be good! :)
"
enterthehole wrote:
More blood and guts !
Gameplay-wise I'm enjoying it a lot at the minute! Can't wait to see the refined and finished game :-)

+ the second act could look a bit more "darker" in a colour tinge. And a thick fogs (f.e. something like Tolkien's "Misty Mountains") areas, raining or storms or something similar would be awesome too.
Last edited by sakalthor on Mar 24, 2012, 9:39:44 AM
"
enterthehole wrote:
My views so far:

Sometimes tall scenery visually blocks the character and mobs (mainly the trees in act 2). Same thing at times with walls.

Metallic things need some shine here and there (or more shine) to make them stand out. I like the grim feel but with the colour palette as it is, everything tends to mush together too much.

More blood and guts !

Spell effects would double in their looks with their own coloured lighting.

At a high res the selection box for mobs could do with a few pixel increase imo. Not the selection outline, just the area that you can click to target a mob needs a tweak for large monitors.

^this

"
I like the over-all art direction of PoE: It's dark, gritty and gory.

But of course there are things that would in my book enhance both the graphics quality and the atmosphere:

- Some areas have a glossy feel to it. While in some, this fits perfectly (damp, slimy walls), in others, it doesn't. If a surface is supposed to be dry or even just damp (without the slime), they usually look rather matt (or dull, compared to the shiny look we got)
- In many areas (the Submerged Passage for example) there's a notable lack of clutter and little doodads, critters etc. One the one hand, that makes in monotonous: no rest for the eyes. On the other, it feels not quite finished. Some debris, seaweed, skulls, mussel-shells, snail-shells or half-rusted equipment washed into a corner would add a lot of atmosphere. Add some of those shells the mob-crabs are "wearing" in various states of decomposition, and when the PC comes near, the whole shell starts shaking, but only some rat/vermin crawls out and skitters into the darkness.

^and that
In Old Fields in Act two - where the edge of the water meets the land it looks like its been a rushed cutout - I feel could do with some softening at the edges to blend it into the water better. Also monsters fight in the water some times - this one http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/521/poe1r.jpg/ started in the water and came to wards me - wasn't quick enough to get a screenie when it was crouched in there.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/208/16414714.jpg/

Edit: Just while I think of it - another little cosmetic glitch, my Templar was running around with his axe - when he carried it the head of the axe was facing the wrong way.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info