Game performance is ABYSMAL.

"
Daiena wrote:
Is it me,or does anyone else have a feeling that the new expansion came with a lot of amazing features and also....a huge memory leak somewhere? pre-1.2 i had no issues,now when i close my client after playing for more than an hour,my whole rig stutters for about 30 sec as if it was unable to re-arrange memory,which fix me if i am wrong,is a clear sign of a huge mem leak.

I'm the opposite. It feels ( to me ) like big chunks of code are now using JIT compiler( just in time ) and the first time after launching that I do anything just feels sluggish. The longer I play the smoother the overall game feels. Could just be my rig though as it seems everybody has a different experience.
echo "The world is full of smart people" |sed -e 's/smart people/sheep/'
Performance after the expansion is truly abysmal.

My main problem lies when I go into ANY area that has rain. I will get severe--and I mean SEVERE--framerate stutters that render the game unplayable, since it's basically skipping large chunks of frames. This didn't use to happen before. Here is a screenshot.

After about a minute in the instance (maybe after everything has loaded?), I can get 30fps gameplay out of it with just an occasional stutter. This is only in areas that have rain. Others have performance issues as soon as I go into them, but nothing half as severe.

Also, sometimes the client goes up to 2.5GB of RAM. If I'm not mistaken, it never went over 2 pre-expansion.

I'm hoping for some dev feedback here in this thread, otherwise I'll probably make a new one in a few days just to bring it to their attention if no one else has.
Last edited by Lord_Kamster on Aug 26, 2014, 5:21:35 PM
^ Just to let you know those complete drops in framerate for you there aren't the gpu or the graphical engine of the game (just the minor drops your getting appear to be), they are actually from the single threaded nature of the game combined with slow loading times of assets from the client file. That is why your performance increases with time as more of the zone and it's inhabitants are loaded into ram, with the occasional hangup as other stuff is loaded. Game can't render any frames at all while its loading assets causing a complete client freeze during that, which plummets the framerate if it just spent 9/10th of that second loading a asset with the client at 0 fps during that load time.

Otherwise it's that average of 30 that you would be getting if either the single threaded nature of the game changed (lol, never will happen) or your loading speed (new hard drive, or load entire client file to a ram drive) to get rid of asset load time freezes. And it's likely that strongboxes are a nightmare for you anyway with the current setup.

Try the defrag utility of both this game and if your on a platter drive try using an advanced defrag program (built in windows one is a failure) that can optimize the drive such as the one from iobit. Optimizing a drive means that it moves a larger file to the outside of the platter so that it's read speed is at the highest it can get. And yes, read speeds of a file on a platter drive vary according to where on the platter it is as the outside seections reads a lot faster then the inside sections. A segmented 4gb file spread across random sections of the disk reads at a fraction of what a solid file on the very outside sections of the disk will read at, and this game suffers immensely when that happens. NEVER defrag a SSD of course.

edit - and windows will cache frequently used files in ram to allow them to be accessed faster, so it will and SHOULD use all available ram anyway as long as other background apps don't need it to reduce load times of files it frequently needs access to for this game.
Last edited by Jiero on Aug 26, 2014, 6:12:47 PM
no hd lag is different thats the rain, I have the same problem

now we have rain in docks, crossroads, garden and each of these zones has huge fps loss for me

also I think the guy reporting a memory leak is right, I have to close the game after about 2 hours, didnt have this problem since open beta
Dogs Summoner - http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/885199
"
Jiero wrote:
^ Just to let you know those complete drops in framerate for you there aren't the gpu or the graphical engine of the game (just the minor drops your getting appear to be), they are actually from the single threaded nature of the game combined with slow loading times of assets from the client file. That is why your performance increases with time as more of the zone and it's inhabitants are loaded into ram, with the occasional hangup as other stuff is loaded. Game can't render any frames at all while its loading assets causing a complete client freeze during that, which plummets the framerate if it just spent 9/10th of that second loading a asset with the client at 0 fps during that load time.

Otherwise it's that average of 30 that you would be getting if either the single threaded nature of the game changed (lol, never will happen) or your loading speed (new hard drive, or load entire client file to a ram drive) to get rid of asset load time freezes. And it's likely that strongboxes are a nightmare for you anyway with the current setup.

Try the defrag utility of both this game and if your on a platter drive try using an advanced defrag program (built in windows one is a failure) that can optimize the drive such as the one from iobit. Optimizing a drive means that it moves a larger file to the outside of the platter so that it's read speed is at the highest it can get. And yes, read speeds of a file on a platter drive vary according to where on the platter it is as the outside seections reads a lot faster then the inside sections. A segmented 4gb file spread across random sections of the disk reads at a fraction of what a solid file on the very outside sections of the disk will read at, and this game suffers immensely when that happens. NEVER defrag a SSD of course.

edit - and windows will cache frequently used files in ram to allow them to be accessed faster, so it will and SHOULD use all available ram anyway as long as other background apps don't need it to reduce load times of files it frequently needs access to for this game.

You know, the game loaded the levels just fine prior to the update. Maybe something happened with the installation, with data becoming too fragmented?

It's a HUGE dip in performance in any case, particularly considering that this never happened before to such a degree, and at most it lasted two seconds.

I've tried a program before that let me place stuff in the faster-access section of the hard drive. I'll give this a shot. Thanks for taking the time to write the detailed post.
Last edited by Lord_Kamster on Aug 26, 2014, 8:48:10 PM
"
Lord_Kamster wrote:

You know, the game loaded the levels just fine prior to the update. Maybe something happened with the installation, with data becoming too fragmented?

It's a HUGE dip in performance in any case, particularly considering that this never happened before to such a degree, and at most it lasted two seconds.

I've tried a program before that let me place stuff in the faster-access section of the hard drive. I'll give this a shot. Thanks for taking the time to write the detailed post.

Hopefully it reduces the instances of those 43 to 4 fps games of pingpong or those hangups when summoning skeletons, opening boxes and entering zones. It won't get rid of the drops of course as those rain effects are terrible and their fillrate requirements are extremely high (they render each and every one of those drops in 3d from what I was told) but I'm hoping it will help you normalize the framerate a little more then it is currently. You'll sometimes notice that the client file is getting a LOT bigger. In some cases defragging it will drop it back down from (for example) 6gb back down to 4gb, which on a drive can have been the cause for it to be spread out in fragments if those sectors beyond the 4gb point were in use at the time.

As far as fragmentation, it all varies on what was added and what sectors of the hard drive are free to add new additions to that client file since the new additions might be not have been able to be added sequentially on the drive if that space was full at the time. And since it is a single compressed client file then both it and the hard drive itself can be fragmented separately, and reading a fragmented file on a fragmented drive is a disaster speed wise (80mb read speed drive can drop down to 0.8 when this happens, essentially a 4k random read speed) its better to correct both if you can.

Of course a SSD has no need for defragmentation, but you don't want to do that on them anyway as that shortens their lifespan.
Last edited by Jiero on Aug 26, 2014, 9:14:14 PM

Playing on max settings with a SGD$2k LAPTOP.

Rain doesn't affect my fps. I play for hours on end with no problem. Loading times are fairly short. Game starts up pretty quickly.

Only issues I have are network based. Probably my fault for staying in Singapore.
I don't understand what you guys are talking about: my i7 4790k with 24GB of RAM and a GTX 780 runs this game on max settings quite fine. Must be a learn to play issue.
@Aelloon
Last edited by Aelloon on Aug 27, 2014, 1:46:54 AM
Not sure if trolls... You are literally saying that a game from 2010 is working fine on a 2000$ PC.
lol

i bet that pic is actually him
Dogs Summoner - http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/885199

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info