The Goodbye Thread

"
JC_GGG wrote:
Hey there, exiles!

Please be sure not to personally attack one another or make comments that are antagonistic in nature, as these are breaches of our Code of Conduct.

It is fine for people to post that they are leaving the game and to discuss their reasons for doing so. If you are making such a post, please be mindful of our Code of Conduct and avoid being needlessly negative - that is, make sure that your tone is civil and constructive. We appreciate feedback, even feedback that is critical of the game, but this does need to be posted in a way that is not rude or insulting to the team.

Thanks all for your understanding!

Bye bye. Godspeed for Diablo 4. I mean Lost Ark..... errr... I mean POE 2. =)
This sentiment was summed up by a member of our design team who recently said "We don't want to take away the feeling of closing your eyes and Exalting an item, scared to see whether you ruined it or not."

YOLO!
"
TheRoyalShu wrote:

Bye bye. Godspeed for Diablo 4. I mean Lost Ark..... errr... I mean POE 2. =)

I thought you meant d2r.
✨ Beta tester Path of Nerf 👀
Under 40K players right now playing POE according to steamcharts! Is that normal at this stage?
no, not this year so far.

And the decline of 2k on peak per day is also a lot.
Thanks for the link. This is the best sum-up i heard in a while, and he is on point.
"
AT2105 wrote:
Under 40K players right now playing POE according to steamcharts! Is that normal at this stage?

All leagues start off with their biggest amount of players in that league and then lose them over time (or at least, steam players based off of steam charts, although steam consists of half the player base according to past interviews). However, this league was an anomaly in how particularly bad the drop off was. It dropped 65% of its players after the first two weeks.

The worse performing leagues in the past (Blight which was literally broken and had to compete with WoW Classic, Harvest with its broken and lame farm mechanic) "only" dropped 50% of its player base after an entire month. This league dropped more than that in half as much time.

(it also should be noted that this league STARTED OUT with 23% less players than the previous league, according to Chris in an interview before the Baeclast interview. This was when the starting number of players per league had been steadily climbing for a while until Ritual - Ultimatum where there was a VERY small drop of like 4% at least per steam charts, and then for this league the drop was a huge 23%. So we had 23% of players who hated the patch notes enough to not even bother trying, and then of the players who did try, 65% of those players that did try left after only two weeks. That's pretty huge. Also confirmed by Chris in the Baeclast interview is that they made 30% less revenue. Which I guess seems about right if you start off with 23% less players and instead of losing 50% over a month you lose 65% over two weeks)

Last edited by TiamatRoar on Aug 13, 2021, 7:45:23 PM
"
TiamatRoar wrote:

(it also should be noted that this league STARTED OUT with 23% less players than the previous league, according to Chris in an interview before the Baeclast interview. This was when the starting number of players per league had been steadily climbing for a while until Ritual - Ultimatum where there was a VERY small drop of like 4% at least per steam charts, and then for this league the drop was a huge 23%. So we had 23% of players who hated the patch notes enough to not even bother trying, and then of the players who did try, 65% of those players that did try left after only two weeks. That's pretty huge. Also confirmed by Chris in the Baeclast interview is that they made 30% less revenue. Which I guess seems about right if you start off with 23% less players and instead of losing 50% over a month you lose 65% over two weeks)

I think you're stats are a little bit off here so I hope the below is handy. These stats are all taken from https://steamdb.info/app/238960/graphs/ as it allows me to download the individual daily records from the start of PoE. (apologies for the lack of table formatting, it looked all nice when I wrote it out then the forums condensed it into a mess).

This report from the time of 3.13 indicates that Steam accounts for roughly 60% of the player count. The table below is peak numbers on day 1 of league. We start to see a lot more consistency in the player volumes from the launch of Betrayal onwards.

Players League % change previous league
21455 Talisman
36997 Perandus 72.4%
25913 Prophecy -30.0%
22289 Essence -14.0%
45376 Breach 103.6%
64317 Legacy 41.7%
86604 Harbinger 34.7%
68539 Abyss -20.9%
81866 Bestiary 19.4%
90505 Incursion 10.6%
75919 Delve -16.1%
117436 Betrayal 54.7%
112505 Synthesis -4.2%
114336 Legion 1.6%
74930 Blight -34.5%
115957 Metamorph 54.8%
133357 Delirium 15.0%
126680 Harvest -5.0%
122094 Heist -3.6%
157103 Ritual 28.7%
154917 Ultimatum -1.4%
116240 Expedition -25.0%

As for player abandonment rates, I'll only show the stats from Betrayal onwards as this seems to demonstrate the new normal for the game volumes (i.e. in excess of 100k Steam players). I tend to find the abandonment rates by day 9 are the most relevant as it's the end of the first two full weekends and when the most people are playing the game.

Day 9 League % change from day 1
103108 Betrayal -12.2%
75262 Synthesis -33.1%
90236 Legion -21.1%
51849 Blight -30.8%
93962 Metamorph -19.0%
99444 Delirium -25.4%
79518 Harvest -37.2%
92931 Heist -23.9%
124824 Ritual -20.5%
116213 Ultimatum -25.0%
62594 Expedition -46.2%

To be fair, Expedition didn't lose 65% or more of their players till day 23 (yesterday) when they hit 66.4% abandonment. If we want to look at 65% (I'm working to one decimal place and not rounding up) abandonment representing a significant volume of player abandonment that potentially has a detrimental impact to item and currency trading then these are the number of days till that happened in each league.

League 65% player abandonment day
Betrayal Day 47
Synthesis Day 26
Legion Day 35
Blight Day 33
Metamorph Day 46
Delirium Day 40
Harvest Day 32
Heist Day 39
Ritual Day 40
Ultimatum Day 32
Expedition Day 23

Obviously you when reviewing these numbers it's also important to consider the starting volume. For example, Blight seems like an average perform for player retention however it started with a much lower launch number so player experience might have deteriorated prior to meeting the 65% loss rate we're looking at here.

Additionally, when considering how a league performs we need to consider the totality of the game state including the league mechanism itself and the balance changes made to the game. Synthesis seemed to be a very polarising league primarily due to the league mechanic itself rather than any sweeping balance changes.

Some people might argue that Harvest players abandoned the game because it was too easy to get powerful items. Other players appeared to abandon it because they didn't like the mechanic of the garden itself or that it broke the preferred gameplay of efficient mapping. Ultimately though, while it remains a contentious league for a variety of reasons its launch day stats were relatively within the average and it 65% abandonment rate was also around average. It did however have a high initial abandonment by the day 9 time period.

Anyway, lots of stats for everyone to interpret in different ways and argue over :)
Last edited by Aldora_the_Summoner on Aug 13, 2021, 10:21:04 PM
@Aldora_the_Summoner Thanks for the numbers. Really gave me a good view of playernumbers and dropoff.

To be honest I don't know what to play and to be fair don't want to play anything else. I don't have high hopes for things to change after watching the video. Currently so bored that I'm actually thinking of helping a friend in the league to make some currency for his build. I probably will.

We'll see what the upcoming patches will bring since there is not a single indication for them to do any changes in 3.15. There is a lack of trust from my side growing each day.

I'm simply going to speak with my wallet.
i'm leaving too....sorry but its became a very hard game to play
thank you for the many yrs of fun....

alteisen77 signing out~
The good question is, how many of these players leaving will EVER come back? I don't think 3.16 will be any better.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info