Concerned about the cut-throat league.

Make private leagues then.
Perm. Retired from this unforgiving land of the Exiles.
Self-impost EXILED.
Where is the CT League???? I was transfered to Legacy league.... :(
HELL YEA

This CT would take me back to my EVE days I love playing in fear!
"He who never fell, never climbed"

- Unknown
"
Juicyfruits wrote:
Hi

First, let me start with some background story about me.

I started playing MMO with UO, when I was a teenager. I played pre-trammel. It was Free for all PVP, with full loot. UO at that time was honestly the most fun I had in an MMO. The fact that the game was "full loot" made the PVP relevant and exciting. It made having friends you could trust much more important. You had to chose your friends carefully. Then, trammel happened, UO got changed, meh.

After that I played a bunch of different games, trying to get my PVP fix. One I liked particularly was EVE online, but the sci-fi theme bored me rather quickly. (Sad, I know)

So, I have been (for pretty much 10 year now?) looking for a game to replicate this "feeling" of danger that UO had. The constant need to stay on your toes when you meet someone new. The adrenaline rush when you attack someone. The joy of killing a player and wondering what kind of loot you will get. Also, the anger and frustration of getting killed and loosing everything.

So, this is where I come from. You'll understand that I LOVE pvp and I LOVE full loot. However, I'm concerned about the cut-throat league. Player looting worked in UO because equipment was easily replaceable. Everything could be easily crafted or bought for a reasonable price. Loosing your stuff was bad, but not a major setback.

And anyway, equipment didn't even really matter too much. It helped, but all you had to get was a weapon and you could be back in the fight, wearing only your "rez robe" that provided less protection than a wet paper bag. And if you were good you still had a chance to kill that guy that was in full-plate.

That's why it worked. To make it simple, it had loot but :
1) Equipment was not too important
2) Equipment could be replaced easily

Now, lets think about PoE. I am concerned because PoE does not fit any of those 2 criteria. I am affraid that full loot, in this game, would be "too much". We will likely spend HOURS hunting for gear (this is an ARPG, and gear hunting is part of the genre), and leveling our gems to get better skills. Losing everything in a few seconds to some unfair gank (which is bound to happen) will make even the more "hardcore" player rage-quit. Thats for sure.

My guess is that people playing in that league will purposely avoid the "gear hunt" and fight with sucky equipment and only low level gems (thus missing a good chunk of the game) or simply get bored and not play this league.

This would be sad. This is why I suggest that dieing in the cut throat league should not be such a major set back. A system I like is the insurance system, as seen in "later UO" and EVE online.

The UO insurance system works by allowing you to pay a fee to "insure" an item. You can insure each item independently. When you are killed, your killer gets the amount you paid for insurance, transferred in his stash.

In EVE the system works a little differently. You have to pay a fee for insurance, for X days. When you die, you loose everything, and the insurance give you some money so you can buy other equipment.

I feel either one could work in PoE. It would, in my opinion, encourage people to try the cut throat league. Like I said before, I think that for this league to be successful, you have to achieve balance between the death penalty being "harsh" and just being "too much".

Ideas?

Have you had a look at the MMO game called Mortal Online? Fantasy setting, Full loot, Full pvp, with a lot of its inspiration coming from the early UO days. The devs are old UO players themselves. Its first person view though, and yet a bit different, but really the "fix" a lot of old UO vets claim to have been missing, and there are still very interesting stuff soon to be released for that game. Look it up.
"
Please make a cut throat HC league without the possibility to make guild or even a party!11

Nobody liked this :(
"
"
Please make a cut throat HC league without the possibility to make guild or even a party!11

Nobody liked this :(

The idea of leveling in cut-throat is to do teamwork to survive. I doubt anyone would make it solo.
"
Juicyfruits wrote:

The UO insurance system works by allowing you to pay a fee to "insure" an item. You can insure each item independently. When you are killed, your killer gets the amount you paid for insurance, transferred in his stash.

How about a rare "insured" modifier for items.

-Items with the insured modifier are several times as rare as rare items.
-When you die, you keep any insured items on you, but the insured items lose their modifier and are no longer insured.
-There is a rare "orb of insurance" that lets you apply the insured modifier to any item.
-When you are killed with insurance items on you, there's also a 20% chance of dropping an orb of insurance for each item you have. So for example, with 3 insured items, you could drop up to 3 orbs, 20% chance each.
-Five insured items sold to a vendor provide an orb of insurance.
"
Silty wrote:
"
Juicyfruits wrote:

-When you die, you keep any insured items on you, but the insured items lose their modifier and are no longer insured.
-There is a rare "orb of insurance" that lets you apply the insured modifier to any item.
-When you are killed with insurance items on you, there's also a 20% chance of dropping an orb of insurance for each item you have. So for example, with 3 insured items, you could drop up to 3 orbs, 20% chance each.

No. Sounds like a carebear solution.

Why do you people keep giving these stupid "solutions" Cut throat is what it is. IF you want to play on a league where you all hold hands and sing kumbaja then request a new private league.
Last edited by elefnot on Apr 21, 2012, 3:01:42 PM
"
elefnot wrote:
"
Silty wrote:
"
Juicyfruits wrote:

No. Sounds like a carebear solution.

Why do you people keep giving these stupid "solutions" Cut throat is what it is. IF you want to play on a league where you all hold hands and sing kumbaja then request a new private league.

You're right, but I wanted to give OP an idea anyways. I thought it was kind of cool, but I suppose it defeats the purpose of cutthroat.
CT without gear loss would lose the thrill, when dying becomes free there is no joy in surviving. During the CT event today my hands were shaking from an adrenaline rush of near deaths, that is what people will play CT for. The rest have default which will have basic dueling options and whatnot later on.

CT-HC will be the only league I play come release.
Winner of the First Ever Cut-Throat Server Test, and Winner of the First Ever Cut-Throat League Event!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info