Fire Trap

"
MacJack wrote:
*snip*

Concentrated aoe+increased aoe+ignite is good combo.
I confirmed that I am still in HC league. Then I died.
I have a few gripes with this and the other traps in the game

when changing weapons, your total trap count resets itself to 0. it only happens when fire trap is in the original weapon socket, but this is very annoying when using weapon pages to swap back and forth between situational abilities (ie: corpse explosion for necros) or having another weapon for utility like movement speed/immunity to freeze.

no other spells (including auras & frenzy charges) drop their stacks/effects while weapon swapping, is there a reason that traps do?

also, when a gem connected to your trap gem levels up, it resets your traps to 0... again this can be quite annoying while levelling new support or skill gems in the same link as every few packs of mobs killed resets your trap stack to 0
I'm a weird templar fan of this skill gem and have tested it with different kinds of support(gem, curse, skill point, gear). One big problem about traps comes with the skill tree: only 6 point specifically designed for trap, all of them require huge investments to be reached by non-dexterity based characters. The same could be said about totem for non-strength based characters. I don't even considered mines since searching the word "mines" on the tree give me zero results. I probably went off topic a bit.

Edit - Another note: the 50% of the times I use it more like a grenade than a proper trap, throwing at the feet of a static enemy. Is this skill projected to this kind of use?
Last edited by ammenz on Aug 30, 2012, 9:34:55 AM
I want to know if the increased burning damage passives work with this skill.
RIP Bolto
"
Covert wrote:
I want to know if the increased burning damage passives work with this skill.

From the wiki :

"
The burning area left behind after a Fire Trap explosion does not act like other burning damage. It will do fire-based health degeneration damage simultaneously with other burning damage for as long as an enemy is within the radius of the Fire Trap. Once an enemy leaves the area, they will stop taking damage from Fire Trap. Elemental/fire damage passives will only increase the damage of the initial explosion. Burning damage passives will increase the DoT potency.
I've been using it since starting out as a Shadow. It seems to be disliked because of mana cost, but I find that the ability to control and deny areas becomes far more useful when specced as a primarily minion-damage based Shadow with lots of dips in the Witch area. The 5 zombies and 8 skeletons allow me to lock down the positions of large groups and accurately tag them with both the initial explosion and the fire pool, also assisted by Added Cold Damage and Blind, as well as the Vulnerability curse. I've also been using Clarity, Anger (since the minions receive the same benefit) and Discipline, and I find that I'm far more limited by the trap cooldowns than their mana cost, even when resurrecting skeletons all the time. Also Minion Instability due to the synergies with fire nodes. Would I be better off using another fire spell as my primary 'caster' damage? Fire Trap seems to be working well enough so far.
Last edited by pomfrod on Sep 12, 2012, 1:23:02 PM
i noticed this a while ago, but didn't really think much of it until helping a friend through the pyramids...

when you throw fire trap at a totem, the totem does not take area damage spread from the trap (the fire damage after the initial explosion)

is this intentional or is it a bug?

also bump to my previous post on traps resetting when changing areas
"
teek wrote:
i noticed this a while ago, but didn't really think much of it until helping a friend through the pyramids...

when you throw fire trap at a totem, the totem does not take area damage spread from the trap (the fire damage after the initial explosion)

is this intentional or is it a bug?

also bump to my previous post on traps resetting when changing areas

Trap count also resets when you level up any gem. The trap count resetting when you level up fire trap makes sense from a certain perspective but there is no reason why your trap count should go to 0 because you leveled up a completely unrelated skill.

"
I've been using it since starting out as a Shadow. It seems to be disliked because of mana cost, but I find that the ability to control and deny areas becomes far more useful when specced as a primarily minion-damage based Shadow with lots of dips in the Witch area. The 5 zombies and 8 skeletons allow me to lock down the positions of large groups and accurately tag them with both the initial explosion and the fire pool, also assisted by Added Cold Damage and Blind, as well as the Vulnerability curse. I've also been using Clarity, Anger (since the minions receive the same benefit) and Discipline, and I find that I'm far more limited by the trap cooldowns than their mana cost, even when resurrecting skeletons all the time. Also Minion Instability due to the synergies with fire nodes. Would I be better off using another fire spell as my primary 'caster' damage? Fire Trap seems to be working well enough so far.

I have been using it with a summoner I am working on. Firetrap + increased duration is a great combo when you have minions to lock enemies down. I also spam firestorm on top of monsters standing in the ground fire left by a triggered fire trap and it is working well because it essentially lets me stack two damage over time effects. I want to try adding a fire totem to the mix as well. I am currently only in cruel so I have no idea how well that combo scales.
I be that potion mixin', spell castin', dragon ridin' wizard. Got a 3 foot hat with a 6 foot beard, and it's only gettin' bigger. Put a staff up in my hand, and I'll shrink you down to size. All I need is a tail of a newt and some platypus eyes.
Strangely the fire traps are quite often displaced, your character doesn't throw them to the position you told him. You can argue as you want, that the server lag is responsible for this but hey, firestorm is cast there it should, why not the trap?
Sometimes there is an enemy in the bottom right of my screen and I want to throw a trap at him. But the trap is thrown in the lower left corner of the screen?! Without touching the mouse I threw another trap a few seconds later... The same thing.

This needs to be fixed, with a regeneration time of about 15 seconds or whatever it is, the traps should end up where they are supposed.
I said:

{quote]Trap count also resets when you level up any gem. The trap count resetting when you level up fire trap makes sense from a certain perspective but there is no reason why your trap count should go to 0 because you leveled up a completely unrelated skill.
[/quote]

Well, that's not the case. I was playing today and that didn't happen once. I don't know how I came to think that.

The number of traps does reset if you remove a skill gem in the same socket link as fire trap. For example if you have a 2 link shield socketed with fire trap and rejuvenation totem and take out the rejuvenation totem gem the number of traps will reset to 0. It would be great if this was at least limited to support gems.
I be that potion mixin', spell castin', dragon ridin' wizard. Got a 3 foot hat with a 6 foot beard, and it's only gettin' bigger. Put a staff up in my hand, and I'll shrink you down to size. All I need is a tail of a newt and some platypus eyes.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info