Fire Trap

Just a thought, I really love the fire traps (especially the fact you can socket them on more than one item and get more traps). Firstly, though, there needs to be some more buffs for traps in the passive skill tree (but I think you may have that planned).

More on the topic, though, it'd be great if the burning ground effect stacked. If that's too powerful, then at least make it so the burning ground effects stacks at least once for each instance of the skill you use. So for example if you have it socketed on your weapon and your helm. If you cast the weapon trap, then the helm trap they'll both deal burning ground damage individually.
So fire trap does get a boost from %fire dmg nodes, elemental dmg, but not from %spell dmg? And.. i wondered also: what about spell crit or spell crit multiplier?
Cant seem to find that back in this post.
"
So fire trap does get a boost from %fire dmg nodes, elemental dmg, but not from %spell dmg? And.. i wondered also: what about spell crit or spell crit multiplier?
Cant seem to find that back in this post.

It DOES get boost from spell damage.
I confirmed that I am still in HC league. Then I died.
Just found a strange little display bug involving Firetrap, Increased criticals and increased critical damage support gems:

I have firetrap linked with one of the support gems in a four-link item. When I add the remaining support gem, in the character screen firetraps's critical strike chance is replaced by the critical strike damage muliplier stat, that is, the damage multiplier is displayed twice.

Removing either of the support gems fixes the problem, as does removing and then re-equipping the item itself. (The increased critical strike chance displays correctly when only the inc. crit gem is socketed.)
Is it intented for the "x.x Fire damage per second" would not affect with spell dmg / fire dmg passives. I got almost 100% fire+spell dmg but it only appears to be working for the first blast. It should affect for the per second also. it would be very nice to see this happening.
The DoT is Burning damage, and should benefit from Burning damage passives.
I guess the DoT would be a *little* strong if it benefits from both Spell damage and Burning passives.

E; After having played around with it as a Shadow, I found I could basically not slap supports on it due to the really high mana cost. Admittedly, the supports I used are 140%, but that never stopped me with other skills; Cleave, Spark, Lightning Warp, Leap Slam, Dual Strike, you name it. On top of that, Cleaving with a largely random sword was just about as effective as tossing Traps at enemies... So that was pretty underwhelming. Hoping I can salvage this character later down the line.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Aug 18, 2012, 2:59:02 PM
I'm waiting to see if this skill gets any better.

Right now, the DPS it dishes out is really paltry, as in weak. Even mobs that drop patches of fire do more damage than my Fire Trap patch of fire!

Currently I'm leveling it up for now and seeing a DPS increase, but I'm still not sure how useful this skill is without +fire damage passives or supports.

Currently I use Fire Trap to protect my totem support enabled with Temporal Chains curse. Great for dungeons, especially at bottleneck doorways with some Poison Arrow gassing.
For Ranger build tips, tactics, and critiques, visit this thread:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/69224
Last edited by Islidox on Aug 19, 2012, 3:32:53 PM
There is either a mechanic bug or a description bug. If learning the Skill "Blast Radius" in the skill tree, nothing changes. Blast Radius should increase the fire damage by 18%. The DPS value of my fire trap didnt change.

There is something wrong with fire trap and how it is working.
░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂
Il███████████████████].
◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤..
Fire trap was not dealing area damage, this has been fixed for 0.9.12
My necromancer build is skilled toward enhanced minions, AoE and increased fire/elemental damage to support my minions. I use a standard fire trap gem lvl 10 without support gems and do ridicilous amounts of damage with these (char sheet says 200-299 combined dmg, not quite informative...). I don't think there is an actual need to directly give this skill more power. But a few more possibilities to passively enhance traps would be nice.

My personal downers of this skill:
It is hard to reasonable enhance this skill with support gems. What would you add? Add fire damage adds an percentage of the physical damage but as this trap is fire only it doesn't make any sense. I once tried add cold, thats quiet nice as you always see the paradoxon of deep freezed enemies burning in a sea of flames and are to slow to move out of there hehe...
Then I don't know of any passive skill (or anyways any effect) that decreases cooldown of the traps skill, a real downer for every build that relies on traps. Also that you can't enhance the maximum number of prepared traps (static 3). That somewhat restricts the possible builds around traps, especially the fire trap.

Looking forward to some more passive skills for traps

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info