Fire Trap

its an issue when people rather use magma orb trap and firestorm trap instead

and even then they struggle with 74+ maps
kids https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbFE90QKJIw
vs
adults https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzysxHGZCAU
😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 business a-blazing but no more t-shirts
I rolled a firetrapper this league and here is my feedback on the gem before giving up on doing trap builds again.

The 'reach' of the skill is terrible in terms of being able to have it affect things that are just coming at you from offscreen. This becomes a huge issue at t7+ and suddenly made the build feel unplayable because of the mechanics limitations.

-Packs start getting fast and rush you right as they come onscreen so the strategy of throwing a trap first and then manually dodging becomes less safe. Compared to spell caster or bow user, trap area coverage, cast time to throw a trap, and the line of sight and collision issues of traps all feel problematic.
Having to use firestorm with temporal chains+flammability mixed with traps was the only way I could resolve the folly of trying to make a pure trap build that could not handle being rushed by stuff coming at me from the edge of the screen. At that point though I had to ask myself why I wasnt just playing pure firestorm build instead. Adding firestorm to get around problematic line of sight+offscreen attack issues basically undoes the key bonus of traps builds which is ignoring corrupting blood and elemental reflect - sigh.

Problems with line of sight and collision detection
Traps appear the be thrown 'underhand' , traced for a collision with the environment from the player's feet, so standing right near a corner and throwing them, or standing by a low railing and trying to throw a trap to the other side doesnt work. You don't get a trap at the desired location, instead you get 1 trap at your feet sometimes and nothing else.
suggested improvement: Traps would work so much better if they had a line of sight check like rain of arrows/firestorm which lets you attack areas with a gap/height difference as well as map tiles with waist high railings that other attacks can cross etc.

experiences with passives applied to firetrap
Area of effect supports seem really weak when applied to this gem. Compared to say flameblast.
I went out of my way grabbing all the aoe nodes and ended up regretting out of it because the radius difference was terrible.

Things I liked about this skill gem
It was fun to peek in a room and throw fire traps and cover the ground with burning ground.
I invested in burn duration nodes, and jewels to make the most of the burning ground damage and the feeling up until higher mapping was pretty satisfying.

Lab is a chore

Delve / Harbinger / Incursion / Delirium best leagues.
Last edited by Ruby_Lux on Nov 10, 2015, 3:52:44 AM
would this skill tree work?

www.poeurl.com/wsk

full crit and dot. I dont know any other reason to usage for fire trap except for crit ?!?

Spoiler

+74 to Strength
+63 to Dexterity
+283 to Intelligence
+517,5 to maximum Mana
+1125 to maximum Life
Evasion Rating: 308
+3 Maximum Endurance Charge
+3 Maximum Frenzy Charge
+3 Maximum Power Charge
4% Additional Elemental Resistance per Endurance Charge
4% Physical Damage Reduction per Endurance Charge
4% Attack Speed Increase per Frenzy Charge
4% Cast Speed Increase per Frenzy Charge
4% More Damage per Frenzy Charge
50% Critical Strike Chance Increase per Power Charge
+12 to maximum Energy Shield
108% increased Elemental Damage
120% increased Critical Strike Chance
114% increased maximum Life
+5 Life gained on Kill
10% chance to Avoid Elemental Status Ailments
10% increased Duration of Elemental Status Ailments on Enemies
66% increased Critical Strike Multiplier
12% increased Attack Speed
10% increased Cast Speed
12% increased Attack Damage
42% increased Spell Damage
60% increased Mana Regeneration Rate
134% increased Damage over Time
5% increased Skill Effect Duration
2,2% of Life Regenerated per Second
44% increased Trap Damage
44% increased Mine Damage
25% increased maximum Energy Shield
Can set up to 1 additional Trap
Can set up to 1 additional Remote Mine
20% increased Physical Damage
35% increased Chaos Damage
5% increased Movement Speed
132% increased Fire Damage
33% increased Cold Damage
40% increased Critical Strike Chance with Traps
40% increased Critical Strike Chance with Mines
30% increased Critical Strike Multiplier with Traps
30% increased Critical Strike Multiplier with Mines
245% increased Critical Strike Chance for Spells
15% chance to gain a Power Charge when your Trap is triggered by an Enemy
8% chance to gain a Power Charge when your Mine is Detonated targeting an Enemy
70% increased Critical Strike Multiplier for Spells
30% increased Radius of Area Skills
+1 Jewel Socket
50% increased Area Damage
+5% to all Elemental Resistances
+15% to Fire Resistance
85% increased Burning Damage
15% increased Curse Duration
15% increased Cast Speed for Curses
14% increased Melee Damage
5% increased Attack and Cast Speed
Enemies can have 1 additional Curse
Damage Penetrates 3% Fire Resistance
+20% to Chaos Resistance
57% increased maximum Energy Shield from Intelligence
15% increased Melee Physical Damage from Strength
+294 Accuracy Rating
13% increased Evasion Rating from Dexterity

Last edited by Exbarbarian on Feb 8, 2016, 10:46:06 AM
Does DoT effected by AoE?
Does Explosion damage effected by something that said "duration skills"?
Does Icrease of Area affects on Area of Explosion and Area of Burning ground?
"Отрастил скилл - имеешь право ногибать" СерБ
Last edited by Radonegskyprotiv on Mar 1, 2016, 1:22:34 PM
Why is Fire trap gem 3 second cooldown while Ice and Lightning trap gems are 2 second? I feel like Fire trap should also be 2 seconds.

I am currently using Fire trap because Ice trap lags my computer too much. But fire trap definitely feel weaker than ice trap in every way atm.
Last edited by akinunal1337 on Mar 8, 2016, 9:58:06 PM
RIP Firetrap. Now you are beyond useless =(
Not exactly a bug - in fact it's working exactly as intended, but it's still a little weird that fire trap creates "burning ground" on water :)
Old time trapper over here, and author of that silly What a Shocking Tri-Element Trapper build. Basically, I am a Trapper that utilizes Elemental Equilibrium together with three Elemental Traps, using Fire Trap for single target damage and must say that it isn't impressive.

Of course, Fire Trap doesn't appear to be meant for single Target, though this did got me thinking that there needs to be an Elemental Trap that focuses more on single target via low AoE but high base damage. Either that, or just turn Fire Trap or Ice Trap into such a skill, probably easily achievable by only giving Ice Trap a boost in its base damage.

A suggestion for a new Trap I would have is an Impulse Trap, dealing Area of Effect Lightning Damage with very small range. Effects it may have is a base chance to Shock enemies or a chance to stun them. Key importance here would be, of course, small AoE, high Base Damage.

Something a bit more simple would be a Explosion Trap, dealing great amounts of Fire Damage on a small area, but nothing past that. Basically, anything that has a high Element base damage over a small Area would work out.
Please post new feedback for this skill gem here - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2160110
Please email support@grindinggear.com if you need any assistance!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info