Fire Trap

"
Vipermagi wrote:
Ignite benefits indirectly, yes.

Only if a fire trap crits or ignites the mob otherwise. The burn damage from the burning patches on the ground have their own burn damage calculation wich you can find on the tooltip.
Last edited by Kaw on Mar 28, 2014, 3:52:59 AM
"
Kaw wrote:
"
Vipermagi wrote:
Ignite benefits indirectly, yes.

Only if a fire trap crits or ignites the mob otherwise. The burn damage from the burning patches on the ground have their own burn damage calculation wich you can find on the tooltip.

Yes, that is what I said. The Burning Ground does not Ignite (it is Burning Damage, it is not Ignite), and I was explicitly talking about Ignite.
Burning Ground doesn't benefit at all, and that is unrelated to its Damage being calculated separately.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Mar 28, 2014, 10:23:33 AM
"
sintflut2012 wrote:
"
Vipermagi wrote:
No. Penetration is an on-Hit effect. Damage over Time does not Hit.

Doesnt it make the burning dmg higher cause the mob took more initial dmg?

I'd like a little more on this, as I'm thinking about adding fire pen.

I had just assumed from my reading tonight, since I've never used pen, that ignite's burn was based on dmg inflicted, rather than taken -- is that incorrect?

so, let's say my explosion deals 100 damage on a mob with 75% fire res.
-20% due to flammability curse, and -30% from fire pen = 25% fire res vs explosion, for 75 dmg taken.

when I add up all my burning (and fire/ele?) nodes, gear, etc I get x3 dmg on burns, let's say.
so, divided up over however many seconds am I getting 100 dmg dealt x3, or the 75 dmg received x3 --- and I'm assuming this burn is mitigated by 75% - 20% from flammability = 55% fire res
if based on dmg received (after mitigation) I think fire pen would be pretty huge

ignore the fricking burning ground

edit: also, my fire/burn buffs apply to burn caused by ignite, right?
Last edited by EomMage on Apr 23, 2014, 11:05:05 PM
Ignite Damage is determined by checking Damage Taken, not Damage Dealt. You deal 100 Damage, but the monster only takes 75. Ignite uses the latter, which is why Resist reductions are so important for Ignite builds. EE is somewhat important too, because Curses do jack to Rares and Uniques - EE is unaffected because it's not a Curse.

Ignite is just Burning Damage like any other source of Fire Damage over Time, yes. :)
Last edited by Vipermagi on Apr 24, 2014, 7:29:41 AM
omg to think I'm lvl 80 and never used fire pen -- what a nub
figured flammability had it covered

speaking of bosses, I don't remember the actual figure, but let's say only 25% of a curse is effective on them.
is it known if that applies to ignite chance from flammability, as well?
so, if I get +12% chance to ignite as secondary effect from curse and boss resists 75% of curse -- am I only getting +3% chance to ignite?
Yeeeah, you're not getting a whole lot of Chance to Ignite against bosses :P
Is there a reason why the burning ground DoT of Fire Trap should be barely more than 1/6th that of Searing Bond?
"
Is there a reason why the burning ground DoT of Fire Trap should be barely more than 1/6th that of Searing Bond?

fire trap has three potential damage sources: the initial aoe hit / the burning ground DOT / an ignite from the initial hit; which can all stack

SB has only one burning DOT that doesn't hit or ignite

plus it has more damage modifiers. like trap / aoe / spell / fire / elemental scaling all three sources; Plus burning / DOT scaling the two DOTS.
How does critical chance and ignite chance work with Fire Trap?

Let's say I have 5% crit chance and 5% ignite chance on Fire Trap, does it only roll for the crits and ignite during the initial explosion or does the burning damage afterwards also roll for crits and ignite as well with each and every tick of damage?
There are no 'damage ticks'; degeneration functions like an actual constant drain (I would say 'unsurprisingly', but apparently this is not standard or something?). Because Damage over Time does not Hit in any shape or form, it cannot trigger on-Hit effects such as Chance to Ignite. Additionally, Damage over Time cannot Crit.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info