What We're Working On

About Steel Skills

They are too weak... buff them or make another rework.

Ty for fb.
Thanks for soliciting skill feedback Bex. You've already commented on the recent Hexblast thread on Reddit so I'll avoid repeating the OP's concerns other than to say I largely agree with their thoughts on the skill, but I do want to emphasize that monster spawns are by far what causes me the biggest pain trying to use it. Encounters like Breach are constantly bringing in new monsters that haven't been hexed yet, so if you're selfcasting hexes (like the skill encourages to scale Doom), you're not only doing no damage to the fresh wave of monsters rushing in to kill you, but more importantly Hexblast can accidentally target one of them instead of the previous wave of monsters that you did hex.

Other sources of monster spawns like Delirium and Conqueror packs are less in-your-face and give you a chance to hex from a distance before engaging them, but their long immunity phases while they spawn compared to the relatively short duration hexes last on the ground makes it extremely difficult to hex them all before they start attacking.

For monster packs that exist on the map naturally, I actually don't think it feels too bad other than maybe lacking in ways to scale the damage as already pointed out on Reddit. It's pretty satisfying to see a dangerous pack in the next room, poke your head out the door to hex them, then ~1.5 seconds later poke your head out again to blast them all.

Without doing a drastic change of how the skill works, maybe it just needs something like automatically targeting a hexed enemy, along with not punishing you if other enemies in the AoE are not themselves hexed (perhaps treating everything in the AoE as if it was hexed with the same amount of doom as the primary target?).

Speaking of Doom, it definitely feels like Hexblast isn't scaling properly on Hexproof enemies. In a magic pack with a mix of Hexproof and non-Hexproof monsters, the Hexproof ones take a small fraction of the damage compared to the others. It feels like far more of a difference than can be attributed to the fact the Hexproof monsters are ignoring the effects of my curse (Flammability), but it is hard to say in the heat of combat.
Last edited by FrostshockFTW on Sep 22, 2020, 5:34:52 PM
Steel Skills Balancing

Steel skills force you to use a melee weapon but use projectile attacks, making it almost impossible to scale well into the endgame compared to other similar skills (reason: because you cannot benefit from warcrys or half of the nodes on the tree because they are labeled with "Melee" or "Bow")

My feedback would be that GGG could make steel skills function with warcrys OR straight up buff them in order for them to do similar damage to other similar abilities.

OH and maximum of 12 Steel Shards for lancing steel feels AWFUL - maybe a way to increase max ammo???

love you guys, keep up the good work!

- Quon62
Playing Shattering Steel since Leaguestart and tested Splitting/Lancing Steel.

With "Lord of Steel" being mandatory to only get close to clearspeed of similar skills with same equipment. Oh and "The Impaler" is mandatory as well.
And by similar I mean half clearspeed at best.

Singletarget dmg is not compareable. 5%-10% dmg compared to similar skills/equip.

Main problems:

Scaling is hard as a "melee" with ranged skills.
eg: Crit scaling is nearly impossible.

"Ranged skill" but necessary to be in Melee range to deal appropriate dmg, again scaling and gear problems. (Squishy but higher damage, or melee tanky but super low damage)

"The Impaler"/or not to take it. You have to decide between okish clearspeed and mediocre ST dmg. None is great, but without Impaler you can play autoattack.

Solutions:

Lower cost of Shards. For Shattering MAX cost should be 1 Shard, increase dmg in Melee range by double/tripple or even more.
Increasing max amount would not change it. Hm precast 500 Shards before fighting a boss oO

Give it Melee Tag

Make it scale in other ways
Last edited by SheiOConnor on Sep 22, 2020, 5:26:12 PM
2Head
"Ah, salutations my children... are you ready for your daily dose of smooth jazz?"
"
Quin69 wrote:
Steel Skills Balancing

Steel skills force you to use a melee weapon but use projectile attacks, making it almost impossible to scale well into the endgame compared to other similar skills (reason: because you cannot benefit from warcrys or half of the nodes on the tree because they are labeled with "Melee" or "Bow")

My feedback would be that GGG could make steel skills function with warcrys OR straight up buff them in order for them to do similar damage to other similar abilities.

OH and maximum of 12 Steel Shards for lancing steel feels AWFUL - maybe a way to increase max ammo???

- Quon62

????please dont listen to this clown
keep up the good work. fuck the haters
Glad to see you're working on stuff. Might want to mention the bosses you were going to add.
"
Quin69 wrote:
Steel Skills Balancing

- Quon62

read a book mate
I'll add to the crackling lance discussion. I switched to arc at 77 and even with all my 5 link gems 3 levels lower than my CL set up it felt better.

1. Crackling lance doesn't feel like it's gaining 180% more damage at 4 stack w/ intensify.
2. The clear seems alright to me. I was getting like 200 mil an hour xp. But for the time and risk it takes to stand still and build intensity that beam needs to reward you by just melting single targets.
3. The aiming on it is terrible when enemies get near you. If it focused more on where your mouse is and could roatate while held down it would feel much better.
4. It would be nice if it had a little aoe behind it too to get enemies that get close, but that would be extra.
Tiggty Swiggity

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info