Floating combat text

"
Sabastian7 wrote:
Spoiler
"
xxnoob wrote:
I swear people are either trying to troll or want this to be Diablo 3. These suggestions are too fishy.

Who cares that Diablo 3 also uses it? So what? That doesn't mean its a bad system. If you don't like it, then the *obvious* thing would to just *not use it.* Is this really that complicated to understand? Everyone who disagree with this system either says, D3 uses it, I don't want numbers all over my screen, or it may cause lag for some people. Ok? I don't get why those problems should mean NO ONE gets to use it! All three of those issues could EASILY be taken care of by one extremely simple thing: *don't use it!*

Personally, I would really like to see this in. (By the way, normal hits and criticals should not look the same. Perhaps criticals could be a different color?)

Also, I think it would be nice to *have an option* to have floating enemy health bars.

I have absolutely no idea why people could have opposition to this as long as it is optional.
Spoiler
If it were forced numbers and bars, then hell yes: I could definitely see a problem, but that is *precisely* why it should be an option. As long as it is an option available for those that actually do want it, the opposition is irrelevant and unfounded.

EDIT: (By the way again, the floating damage numbers should *only* show your numbers to yourself. I could understand why some people wouldn't to see *everyone's* numbers! In fact, I wouldn't either, but as long as the damage numbers would 1) be optional and 2) only show the player his/her own character's damage numbers, then I am definitely a big supporter of the idea.)

Then I will help you.

Most "convenient" features in games, have deep, long term repercussions, as they change the way players view the game.
This includes things like floating text, damage meter, gear score, group finder, flying mounts, you name it.

In this particular case, we are talking about something that will make players pay even less attention to the action itself, and more attention to numbers and UI.

Your request for Health meters further exacerbates my point.

The same thing applies to requests for damage meters, enemy resistance indicators, and anything that makes the game MORE about the UI and LESS about the action itself.

And then you say: But if it's an option, it's no big deal!
Wrong!

As the players who DO use the option become used to it, the game will become easier in some aspects and harder in others, and new needs will arise.
At that point, GGG will be trying to balance and design the game for both the players who use some features and those who don't.

And floating combat text merely masks a symptom, it doesn't solve the problem:
The fact you want to know how much damage you are dealing, is due to lack of audio and visual cues in that regard.
The best solution is to add appropriate audio (growls/screams) & visual effects (blood spurts) when a monster takes damage above a certain percentage of its maximum Health.

Furthermore, instead of adding health bars, which greatly clutters the screen, give monsters visual effects that help demonstrate how close to death they are.

Make the game MORE about the game and LESS about the UI.
Forum Warrior - Why are you creating a thread about this subject? Use Search!
Also Forum Warrior - Nice necro.
Last edited by Nurvus on Oct 19, 2013, 8:35:57 PM
"
Spoiler

I present to you my Signature.
Forum Warrior - Why are you creating a thread about this subject? Use Search!
Also Forum Warrior - Nice necro.
Last edited by Nurvus on Oct 19, 2013, 8:43:38 PM
Well,to quote Totalbiscuit
"
If you don't have floating combat text in hack and slash RPG,you are doing it wrong

I personally would love to see floating combat text,as an optional feature ofc,something along the lines of Torchlight 2,you basically have like 3 options - 1.Don't display at all 2.Display only crits/resists/blocks/evades/dodges and 3.go all out and display everything.

Tbh i would be happy with just floating damage text that i do to enemys.
I don't think it would be too hard to implement,all the forumals,damage statistics,and reports are already within the game,there is just no option for visual feedback.

As for those going ''people wana make this too much like diablo blablabla'' shut it,you lot are so paranoid with this idea that PoE get's compared to D3,that every time you see something that does not follow the very strictly laid path of alphas and closed beta,that you instantly deny it.

For me,PoE>D3 in every single way,however stuff like floating combat text has been in rpgs of many kinds since before Diablo 3,2,or 1 for that matter.
It's part of what defines an RPG,lots of gear,lots of mobs,and lots of big numbers.
No rest for the wicked.
"
Daiena wrote:
Well,to quote Totalbiscuit
"
If you don't have floating combat text in hack and slash RPG,you are doing it wrong

I personally would love to see floating combat text,as an optional feature ofc,something along the lines of Torchlight 2,you basically have like 3 options - 1.Don't display at all 2.Display only crits/resists/blocks/evades/dodges and 3.go all out and display everything.

Tbh i would be happy with just floating damage text that i do to enemys.
I don't think it would be too hard to implement,all the forumals,damage statistics,and reports are already within the game,there is just no option for visual feedback.

As for those going ''people wana make this too much like diablo blablabla'' shut it,you lot are so paranoid with this idea that PoE get's compared to D3,that every time you see something that does not follow the very strictly laid path of alphas and closed beta,that you instantly deny it.

For me,PoE>D3 in every single way,however stuff like floating combat text has been in rpgs of many kinds since before Diablo 3,2,or 1 for that matter.
It's part of what defines an RPG,lots of gear,lots of mobs,and lots of big numbers.

Brought back the thread, huh? Now its a zombie thread. Congrats.
"

This ^
Im upset that PoE still don't have an option to display damage numbers. I think it isn't that hard to implement it but it adds so much joy.
Last edited by Rozari on Jan 3, 2014, 4:20:03 PM
"
Nurvus wrote:
"
Sabastian7 wrote:
Spoiler
"
xxnoob wrote:
I swear people are either trying to troll or want this to be Diablo 3. These suggestions are too fishy.

Who cares that Diablo 3 also uses it? So what? That doesn't mean its a bad system. If you don't like it, then the *obvious* thing would to just *not use it.* Is this really that complicated to understand? Everyone who disagree with this system either says, D3 uses it, I don't want numbers all over my screen, or it may cause lag for some people. Ok? I don't get why those problems should mean NO ONE gets to use it! All three of those issues could EASILY be taken care of by one extremely simple thing: *don't use it!*

Personally, I would really like to see this in. (By the way, normal hits and criticals should not look the same. Perhaps criticals could be a different color?)

Also, I think it would be nice to *have an option* to have floating enemy health bars.

I have absolutely no idea why people could have opposition to this as long as it is optional.
Spoiler
If it were forced numbers and bars, then hell yes: I could definitely see a problem, but that is *precisely* why it should be an option. As long as it is an option available for those that actually do want it, the opposition is irrelevant and unfounded.

EDIT: (By the way again, the floating damage numbers should *only* show your numbers to yourself. I could understand why some people wouldn't to see *everyone's* numbers! In fact, I wouldn't either, but as long as the damage numbers would 1) be optional and 2) only show the player his/her own character's damage numbers, then I am definitely a big supporter of the idea.)

Then I will help you.

Most "convenient" features in games, have deep, long term repercussions, as they change the way players view the game.
This includes things like floating text, damage meter, gear score, group finder, flying mounts, you name it.

In this particular case, we are talking about something that will make players pay even less attention to the action itself, and more attention to numbers and UI.

Your request for Health meters further exacerbates my point.

The same thing applies to requests for damage meters, enemy resistance indicators, and anything that makes the game MORE about the UI and LESS about the action itself.

And then you say: But if it's an option, it's no big deal!
Wrong!

As the players who DO use the option become used to it, the game will become easier in some aspects and harder in others, and new needs will arise.
At that point, GGG will be trying to balance and design the game for both the players who use some features and those who don't.

And floating combat text merely masks a symptom, it doesn't solve the problem:
The fact you want to know how much damage you are dealing, is due to lack of audio and visual cues in that regard.
The best solution is to add appropriate audio (growls/screams) & visual effects (blood spurts) when a monster takes damage above a certain percentage of its maximum Health.

Furthermore, instead of adding health bars, which greatly clutters the screen, give monsters visual effects that help demonstrate how close to death they are.

Make the game MORE about the game and LESS about the UI.

Two words: Bull Crap!

UI is a fundamental aspect of gameplay. The fact that it's so barebones in this game is already taking away from the action. Players want information so they can optimize their builds (enhances gameplay), see which attacks are actually threatening when there's a ton of stuff going on (enhances awareness --> improves gameplay), and so they can get a feel for how tough monsters are at various points of the game so they can prepare to meet those challenges instead of fighting blind (more enjoyable gameplay experience). I'm not sure how you got flying mounts from floating damage text, but that kind of slippery-slope argument is simple fallacy. The people who don't want to play with it don't have to, and it doesn't detract from their experience if they don't want to know. However, it DOES detract from the experience for those of us who DO want to know.

As for your "far reaching consequences," this game already has gear score via item level and "worth" in currency. People already measure "damage meters" through the dps listed on their skills. This game already has "group finder" via billboard near the stash. And it may as well have an AH since people use poe.xyz in much the same manner (pure evidence that people want this feature). So you see, it won't change how people view the game at all. They already view it the way you think these changes would cause them to view it. The real issue is that those features are expected in this type of game, and is conspicuously absent. THAT hurts gameplay.
I have only to tell you one date, the date when the community got some hope for FCT to get implemented soon just like so much other stuff GGG promised to get ready very soon,
2. Mai 2012 01:15.

So sad.
=Licht ist Leben=
Last edited by Hruthgard on Jan 3, 2014, 9:34:26 PM
Dead thread, please ARISE
Many lewt.
Much desync.
Such rewarding.
Wow.
According to forum mods "sandwich" is considered an offensive word. Who knew?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info