Floating combat text

"
BrianWeissman wrote:
Floating combat text(FCT) is something that a lot of people 1. enjoy and 2. expect from a game in this genre. There are also definitely people who don't like it, and would never choose to have it enabled.

However, we're trying to appeal to as wide a community as possible, so it's quite likely that POE will eventually have three different options for FCT. The first would be the default, which is "Off". The second would be a version that merely shows your critical hits as FCT, possibly with the additional note of "Critical". The third option would be complete FCT, that shows all damage dealt, as well as misses and blocks.

There are valid arguments for all three types of FCT, so we'll try to arrive at something that pleases the most people. Hope that makes you guys happy!
Best way to appeal to everyone is to have each possible FCT as its own checkbox.

Misses
Hits
Crits
Dodge
Block
IGN - PlutoChthon, Talvathir
oh wow 2 years passed and it has still not been added? I love GGG so don't get me wrong but just making it optional pleases A LOT of people without being in the way for people that do not want to use it.
GGG themselves said two years ago it would be added so wondering whats keeping them...
"
Vazkro wrote:

GGG themselves said two years ago it would be added so wondering whats keeping them...

more important stuff? :P
"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does." - William James
"People are just about as happy as they make up their minds to be." - Abraham Lincoln
Well, floating text would worsen the screen clutter, and would be pseudo mandatory in a game that it's already hard.

There is no real option in a toggleable option.

It would be great to have a complete monster bestiary (at least for criatures you killed lots of times already, except optional bosses, like Shin Megami Tensei or Final Fantasy) as an alternative to theorycraft, though.
Add a Forsaken Masters questline
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2297942
I guess they decided against this? I don't even need it to float. A separate text box would be even better.
Numbers inside enemy boss health bars..

and crit them..

op.

I... like... floating... text... idea.

+1

Edit: It would work really really better if the flying text should just be implemented against mini-bosses (all kind) and main-bosses. Cause, the squishy minions would only create a "visual-not-required-crit-trash" flying texts. We do not need more Desync or lag. Thank you for reading.
Last edited by B34C0N on Sep 26, 2014, 9:57:23 PM
A lot of my rl friends quit during cruel because of lack of sense of progression. It only seems like their characters were getting worse due to difficulty.

Floating combat text could help alot.
its been stated over and over that this will be added someday. but when is this day?..
☆*:.。. o(≧▽≦)o .。.:*☆
"
Ezaspi wrote:
A lot of my rl friends quit during cruel because of lack of sense of progression. It only seems like their characters were getting worse due to difficulty.

So they're beating stronger enemies, and they don't feel progression?
Your rl friends must love challenges.

Floating Combat Text is extremely convenient.
However, it's unnecessary, and with it players will start requesting for dps meters.
And with dps meters players will start measuring dicks and categorizing one another based on it.
With that change in mentality, the goal will go from beating X enemies or getting Y gear, to surpassing Z dps.

That's why I'm against Floating Combat Text.
It's a slippery slope with blades and spikes at the end.

The players' excitement no longer comes from whatever environment, gore or challenges, but purely from beating previous numbers.
Your attention is pulled further away from the game and into the UI.

Good luck to GGG if they implement this.
It's a one way ticket.
Forum Warrior - Why are you creating a thread about this subject? Use Search!
Also Forum Warrior - Nice necro.
Last edited by Nurvus on Oct 3, 2014, 7:30:20 AM
"
Nurvus wrote:
"
Ezaspi wrote:

So they're beating stronger enemies, and they don't feel progression?
Your rl friends must love challenges.

Floating Combat Text is extremely convenient.
However, it's unnecessary, and with it players will start requesting for dps meters.
And with dps meters players will start measuring dicks and categorizing one another based on it.
With that change in mentality, the goal will go from beating X enemies or getting Y gear, to surpassing Z dps.

That's why I'm against Floating Combat Text.
It's a slippery slope with blades and spikes at the end.

The players' excitement no longer comes from whatever environment, gore or challenges, but purely from beating previous numbers.
Your attention is pulled further away from the game and into the UI.

Good luck to GGG if they implement this.
It's a one way ticket.

That's a very negative and flawed way of looking at it.
It's a simple feature with basic implications. No mortal being would ever be able to please everyone else in any realistic manner, but implementing a feature like this is far from bringing about the casualization of the game.
I found this thread looking for GGG's stance and found it. I don't care if they do or don't add it because it doesn't matter to me. I do think that it would please more than it would offend, however.
Get laid, get paid, drink Gatorade.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info