[Screenshots] 0.10.4: New Stance for Shadow holding a Staff

"
Russell wrote:
I think its because he was swinging a huge 2 handed weapon with one hand. Which looked obscure with his tiny frame.

It looks cool in idle but when he actually attacked it looked rather silly.

Leave the idle animation as it is and just change the attack animation?

Dunno, seems obvious. What am I missing?
That's gotta be the worst graphical change so far...
IGN YuanMoons
(Calling this the official "shadow staff stance thread" since it has a GGGpost. Consolidated others.)
I haven't seen the new attack animation, but don't complain if you didn't see the old one. Heavy Strike with one-handed reverse grip looked stupid as hell and I welcome the change.
My Keystone Ideas: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/744282
"
anubite wrote:
I haven't seen the new attack animation, but don't complain if you didn't see the old one. Heavy Strike with one-handed reverse grip looked stupid as hell and I welcome the change.

It is obviously a matter of opinion. I personally thought that animation was great. It really suited a crafty, underhanded fighting style. I hope he doesn't just bash the enemies over the head like a grandmother now. I suppose I should give the new animations a chance, but I worry they are going to be too generic. I will give them a look over this afternoon.
"
Russell wrote:
I think its because he was swinging a huge 2 handed weapon with one hand. Which looked obscure with his tiny frame.

It looks cool in idle but when he actually attacked it looked rather silly.

Russell can we please have a happy medium.

i.e. he holds it like he used to while idle but in zones outside of town he swaps to a combat stance holding it at the ready?

The templar sort of does this with axes already, though to be fair the animation on him is a bit choppy and i assume that is because it skips frames.

Edit: pneuma the thread lockerer, seriously though I am just glad we have developer attention on this :)
Now presenting! Venom ink; malice in the pen, poison on the paper, anger in the mind.

Brought to you by Dat LLC, in partnership with Harassment Industries.

*Disclaimer* No actual products are being sold, shipped or presented. *End of disclaimer*
Last edited by DarkNRG on Mar 23, 2013, 12:58:27 PM
I rolled a shadow staff just to look cool, after patch, i ended up stripping him naked........
Reminds me so much of Runescape.
(Not in a bad way)

-Slad
No mercy for the weak. No pity for the dying. No tears for the slain.
I can understand why it happened and I allready guessed why it happened before I looked in here. But let me put something out there before the old animations are lost. Microtransactions for alternativ animations would be sweet.

And why do I care about it? I started an Arc Shadow with Staves. He had some resemblance with a Sith. (one day my Shadow will zap people with the empty hand. even if I have to wait years for it ;) )
The Shadow will stay. I cannot stand the witch with staves. That sure as hell is no serpent stance. I personally have no idea what a serpent stance using staves looks like (the only one I know is from tekken 3) but the Shadow actually looked like he knew what he was doing. And I have to agree with the people before me. A stave has some similarity with a spear or pike. These kind of weapons could be used with or without a shield. I have to say the old animations were more on the badass then realistic side of things but not entirely impossible to pull of, I think.
Personally I liked the old animations even if they did not seem really practical to say the least. They fit well into the feel of the Shadow while the new stence is very broad and direct and not really sneaky. Maybe it is just me not being used to it. But I think I would spend money to get the old animations back. And there may be more people. An otherway would be to make that the oficial serpent stance of ggg. Would love that as well (I did mention witches and serpent stance not fitting well together). :)

edit: after reading this multiple times to fix some tipos I came up with a another good example why the old stance seemed so right to me. I personally allways think of staves as something very similar to a shovel. While working you will use it with two hands but it is easier to walk with an emtpy shovel while not clinging to it with both hands. Aswell it never occured as wrong to me while playing. If I remember right I think he actually uses both hands for most skills. He uses both hands to throw lightning that is for sure. How did he forget how to do it onehanded after being able to cast spells onehanded with a wand? I wont reroll the Shadow like I did with my witch after seeing her us a stave for the first time. In my opinion spell elementaldamage is a templar thing. Spelldamage a witch thing. And spell crits a shadow thing. And staves and serpent stance are one of those things. I will shut up now. Sorry for all the tipos I missed and the extra way too long post.
Sorry for the long post. In the unlikely event of a short post. There sure is something I should feel sorry about anyway.
Last edited by Paulinir on Mar 24, 2013, 10:05:06 PM
The problem with making the old appearance a micro transaction, is that a lot of players will start accusing GGG of intentionally making bad decisions/changes to monetize the original/good stuff.
Computer specifications:
Windows 10 Pro x64 | AMD Ryzen 5800X3D | ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi) Motherboard | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti Gamer | Corsair AX 760watt PSU | Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD & WD Black FZEX HDD
Last edited by Nicholas_Steel on Mar 25, 2013, 8:44:39 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info