[3.16] Coldslinger | Vortex | Creeping Frost | League Start | SSF | CI/LL

"
TzmFen wrote:
As i whispered you during Mayhem, and playing it again during Flashback (cheap budget CI), i really love the build.. red tier map bosses can take a moment but its still smooth cruisiing.. i may try the LL version in 3.13 league
Big kudos

Awesome! Really glad you're enjoying it! Yeah, red-tier bosses on the CI version can take a few- especially in comparison to some of the melee builds out there. The LL version absolutely shreds though, so I'd highly recommend that for next season!

"
Versonire wrote:
Hello, will it be updated to 3.13 ?

Yeah, I'll be updating the guide a couple days before launch of 3.13 (once the patch notes are out)! For the most part, unless something major gets changed/released, the build will likely remain largely unchanged. I'm really hoping they re-adjust down the % reservation cost of Spellslinger back to 20% at level 20, as it did absolutely nothing to the early-game leveling experience of Spellslinger like they wanted.
Coldslinger: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2797749
hi there !

i'm currently testing it as training in std and while you said you didn't use glacing blow anymore (3.12 nerf), it's still on the tree for the CI budget version. So i'm a bit confuse right now ^^ Should i use it or not ?

Whatever, i'll play this build as a 3.13 starter and will try to push it far away.

thx for this guide !
I did pretty well with this build in Flashback SSF, got to level 95 with the CI build. Easily scored a deathless A6 Sirus kill.

My energy shield is at 7,700. I wanted to get it closer to 9 or 10 thousand, but I'm out of crafting materials and gonna save my energy for the next league. Overall the build is great as advertised and I do recommend it for SSF, if you're willing to gamble on finding a Rimegaze. For uniques I managed to drop 2 Rimegaze's, and 2 Rainbow Stride's (1 from Cadiro), a second Frozen Trail, and a Rumi's Concoction (only using it on maps with reduced block chance mod). SSFer's should be aware that you can easily craft an iLvl 2 driftwood wand as I have here.
Just wanted to drop in to say I really enjoyed the build for Flashback SC to 95. I was able to complete a pretty solid LL suit and took down A5 with relative ease at around 1.4m Vortex (Shaper) DPS and 9.7k ES. Leveling was fun, damage scaled REALLY well, and at no point did I struggle to kill anything. Though I did go straight from tabula -> 6L incandescant -> 6L Shavs due to some lucky fusing on the IH.

I do feel like the build could use a couple extra layers of defense but that is likely due to me being bad at long range builds and recently playing a tanky Trickster. It's very easy to off screen mobs but I found myself stupidly trying to shotgun bosses.
Ground effects were also a problem for me because I couldn't see them under the Vortexes. Exposure Therapy on your Cold Damage Over Time cluster can mostly fix this problem and I recommend it.
Perhaps with Min Endurance charges on jewelery or replacing Vitality with Flesh and Stone you can also get a bit tankier.

Reworking the tree to bring back Glancing Blows might be worth it too: it gives you a bunch of strength (easing your gearing req's), frees up a flask slot from Rumi's, and lets you anoint Command of Steel which is 10x cheaper than Tranquility.

My final note is that I got a nice DPS boost by farming Mana Regen on my boots. With the 70% regen boost you can drop Inspiration entirely and replace it with Hypothermia for more consistent DPS.

Overall a super fun and satisfying experience, I even got the shaper balls MTX for frostbolt and vortex so I could burn my retinas out with bloom. Thanks!
Last edited by raxitron on Jan 4, 2021, 10:03:06 AM
Hello
Your builds looks awesome and I would like to play it during 3.13.
I played VD/DD spellslinger the build was very tanky but the mono dps was not very good
How is your build concerning tanking and mono dps ?
What are the pro and cons vs VD/DD ?
Thanks again !
Reserved
Sorry for the late responses, I am not all that active towards the tail-end of leagues. However, during league-start week, I'm pretty active and will be answering questions daily and updating the build right after the new Skill Tree/gem information is out.

TLDR so far: huge buff to the build in terms of survivability, but the dps is about the same. You can now drop Profane Bloom and grab Malediction (Enemies deal 10% reduced damage and take 10% increased damage + 15% curse effect), which allows you to run a second curse. I'll be working through the best way to incorporate everything over the next few days with a full build update planned by the end of Wednesday (EST).

"
Inialla wrote:
hi there !

i'm currently testing it as training in std and while you said you didn't use glacing blow anymore (3.12 nerf), it's still on the tree for the CI budget version. So i'm a bit confuse right now ^^ Should i use it or not ?

Whatever, i'll play this build as a 3.13 starter and will try to push it far away.

thx for this guide !

Given the sheer number of possible 1-shots (10 ilvl 80+ bosses at once) in end-game Maven fights, I imagine Glancing Blows is probably going to be mandatory on all variations of the build.

To answer your question though, as of right now- the guide is written so that you take Glancing blows on league-start to avoid 1-shots as you progress in maps and spec out of it once you build enough currency to swap to LL.

"
I did pretty well with this build in Flashback SSF, got to level 95 with the CI build. Easily scored a deathless A6 Sirus kill.

My energy shield is at 7,700. I wanted to get it closer to 9 or 10 thousand, but I'm out of crafting materials and gonna save my energy for the next league. Overall the build is great as advertised and I do recommend it for SSF, if you're willing to gamble on finding a Rimegaze. For uniques I managed to drop 2 Rimegaze's, and 2 Rainbow Stride's (1 from Cadiro), a second Frozen Trail, and a Rumi's Concoction (only using it on maps with reduced block chance mod). SSFer's should be aware that you can easily craft an iLvl 2 driftwood wand as I have here.

Glad you enjoyed the build and awesome to see you progress so far in SSF! This league will be an extremely good league to play SSF with the ability to target farm uniques and ilvl75+ veiled items using the Atlas Tree.

"
raxitron wrote:
Just wanted to drop in to say I really enjoyed the build for Flashback SC to 95. I was able to complete a pretty solid LL suit and took down A5 with relative ease at around 1.4m Vortex (Shaper) DPS and 9.7k ES. Leveling was fun, damage scaled REALLY well, and at no point did I struggle to kill anything. Though I did go straight from tabula -> 6L incandescant -> 6L Shavs due to some lucky fusing on the IH.

I do feel like the build could use a couple extra layers of defense but that is likely due to me being bad at long range builds and recently playing a tanky Trickster. It's very easy to off screen mobs but I found myself stupidly trying to shotgun bosses.
Ground effects were also a problem for me because I couldn't see them under the Vortexes. Exposure Therapy on your Cold Damage Over Time cluster can mostly fix this problem and I recommend it.
Perhaps with Min Endurance charges on jewelery or replacing Vitality with Flesh and Stone you can also get a bit tankier.

Reworking the tree to bring back Glancing Blows might be worth it too: it gives you a bunch of strength (easing your gearing req's), frees up a flask slot from Rumi's, and lets you anoint Command of Steel which is 10x cheaper than Tranquility.

My final note is that I got a nice DPS boost by farming Mana Regen on my boots. With the 70% regen boost you can drop Inspiration entirely and replace it with Hypothermia for more consistent DPS.

Overall a super fun and satisfying experience, I even got the shaper balls MTX for frostbolt and vortex so I could burn my retinas out with bloom. Thanks!

Nice! Glad to hear the build worked as advertised haha, and I'm really sorry for your poor eyes lol. I definitely agree damage isn't lacking, but defenses could be better, especially if you get into a sticky situation. With the Occultist Ascendancy changes comes a HUGE buff to survivability. Grabbing Malediction + Enfeeble is massive- I just need to figure out the best way to work it into the LL variation (probably will need to use 2 unset rings to get the best bang-for-buck).

I'm going to look into a way to bring back Glancing Blows for the LL variation, but I'm not sure how to just yet. The tough part with LL and Prism Guardian is that you almost have to grab Cluster Jewels for Energy From Naught since you no longer have a 200+ ES shield, which eats up a lot of passive points- it may be worth it though.

Yeah, Hypothermia is amazing if you can afford the mana cost of spamming.

"
finiarel wrote:
Hello
I played VD/DD spellslinger the build was very tanky but the mono dps was not very good
Thanks again !

I've barely played VD/DD necro, so I can't really answer this without having a strong bias towards this build. However...

Not just because it's my build, but because of the buffs to the Occ and nerfs to Necro, I can confidently say this build will be superior to VD/DD Spellslinger in almost every way with equivalent investment (aside from destroying your FPS, it'll probably be pretty close tbh).

The key difference between VD/DD and Coldslinger DPS is that your single target DPS does not depend on how many monsters are on the map and it does not ramp/require sustained attacking. VD/DD target the adds from bosses, which takes away a good chunk of your dps. This will be a HUGE issue during Maven encounters when you have 10 bosses at once on the map. Also, damage in this build is instantaneous and doesn't take any time to ramp or maintain. You throw your balls and let 'em work.

In terms of tankiness, it really depends on your playstyle. If you like to facetank things, you're probably in for a rude awakening in comparison, but it'll still be able to tank a fair amount with the ability to grab Malediction + Enfeeble now.

I would highly recommend league starting the CI variation of this build. Definitely check out the league start/progression section and read through each act though, as it has a pretty good break-down on what to do/look for.
Coldslinger: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2797749
Last edited by Clydehart on Jan 11, 2021, 8:35:03 PM
Hi Guys,

First. Thank you for this nice guide, I had a blast in the heist season with it. I did some number crunching and ended up with this Build:
https://poe.ninja/challenge/builds/char/BOOMJudge/Naminagi

The belt is there just for a meme, crystle double influence belt is much stronger.

I think, with the minor changes this build will be still very strong this season.

Keep up the cool work with this guide!
Hey Clyde,.
Im probably gonna league start with your build.
I see the benefits of malediction, but why on earth would you drop profane bloom and say goodbye to the 40% chance to get explode? have I failed to see something here? IS it because you presuppose an explody chest?

Can you enlighten me? :)

"
Clydehart wrote:
Sorry for the late responses, I am not all that active towards the tail-end of leagues. However, during league-start week, I'm pretty active and will be answering questions daily and updating the build right after the new Skill Tree/gem information is out.

TLDR so far: huge buff to the build in terms of survivability, but the dps is about the same. You can now drop Profane Bloom and grab Malediction (Enemies deal 10% reduced damage and take 10% increased damage + 15% curse effect), which allows you to run a second curse. I'll be working through the best way to incorporate everything over the next few days with a full build update planned by the end of Wednesday (EST).

"
Inialla wrote:
hi there !

thx for this guide !

Given the sheer number of possible 1-shots (10 ilvl 80+ bosses at once) in end-game Maven fights, I imagine Glancing Blows is probably going to be mandatory on all variations of the build.

To answer your question though, as of right now- the guide is written so that you take Glancing blows on league-start to avoid 1-shots as you progress in maps and spec out of it once you build enough currency to swap to LL.

"

Glad you enjoyed the build and awesome to see you progress so far in SSF! This league will be an extremely good league to play SSF with the ability to target farm uniques and ilvl75+ veiled items using the Atlas Tree.

"
raxitron wrote:

Nice! Glad to hear the build worked as advertised haha, and I'm really sorry for your poor eyes lol. I definitely agree damage isn't lacking, but defenses could be better, especially if you get into a sticky situation. With the Occultist Ascendancy changes comes a HUGE buff to survivability. Grabbing Malediction + Enfeeble is massive- I just need to figure out the best way to work it into the LL variation (probably will need to use 2 unset rings to get the best bang-for-buck).

I'm going to look into a way to bring back Glancing Blows for the LL variation, but I'm not sure how to just yet. The tough part with LL and Prism Guardian is that you almost have to grab Cluster Jewels for Energy From Naught since you no longer have a 200+ ES shield, which eats up a lot of passive points- it may be worth it though.

Yeah, Hypothermia is amazing if you can afford the mana cost of spamming.

"
finiarel wrote:
Hello
Thanks again !

I've barely played VD/DD necro, so I can't really answer this without having a strong bias towards this build. However...

Not just because it's my build, but because of the buffs to the Occ and nerfs to Necro, I can confidently say this build will be superior to VD/DD Spellslinger in almost every way with equivalent investment (aside from destroying your FPS, it'll probably be pretty close tbh).

The key difference between VD/DD and Coldslinger DPS is that your single target DPS does not depend on how many monsters are on the map and it does not ramp/require sustained attacking. VD/DD target the adds from bosses, which takes away a good chunk of your dps. This will be a HUGE issue during Maven encounters when you have 10 bosses at once on the map. Also, damage in this build is instantaneous and doesn't take any time to ramp or maintain. You throw your balls and let 'em work.

In terms of tankiness, it really depends on your playstyle. If you like to facetank things, you're probably in for a rude awakening in comparison, but it'll still be able to tank a fair amount with the ability to grab Malediction + Enfeeble now.

I would highly recommend league starting the CI variation of this build. Definitely check out the league start/progression section and read through each act though, as it has a pretty good break-down on what to do/look for.
Please not a manual cast curse :(
I love this build because it is "mono action".

"
Clydehart wrote:

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info