3.10 🔨 Torstein's Icebreaker - Glacial Hammer - Sleeper end-game crusher - Cluster updated

"
Insanepace wrote:
Hey people,

I have played this build as a starter this league and have to really thank Torstein here for this guide because i had a blast with it.

Main reasons are:

-Warmonger really is a huge quality of life, made the following labs easy especially.

-Pillar of the Caged God cost me an alch at lvl 13 back then and kept it until level 68.
It was nice not having to worry about having to upgrade your weapon as a melee.

-My last longtime character was a cold dot occultist. In contrast our Icebreaker has much more active skills to use, which is something i enjoy.

-Awakener level 8 was no problem, you can even tank some of the minor abilities.

-Im pretty sure this is one of the better melee builds out there to survive beefy metamorphs (even before freeze fix). Also really liked that i could ignore life regen organ mods since we have frostbomb. Many people that i hangout in discord with while playing hated that mod.

-Blitz. (We skipped 1:13 baby)

Things i did not like about the build:

I saved up some currency and decided to try out different builds now instead of bringing this build to its full potential.
As you will see there is a lot i could improve:

1. Swap out my 2nd Winter Burial and craft cold conversion on my gloves.
2. Better jewels
3. Get rings that actually match my resistances, since after i got Pandemonius they werent optimal anymore.
4. Boot Enchant.
5. Last but not least upgrade to the newer version of the build that includes a
rare chest and more jewel slots on the skill tree.

This is my current gear setup.
Unless i mentioned the topic above, i am very happy to hear your criticism because this is only my 2nd league that i played seriously.

Spoiler

I especially like the boots and gloves (Would have slammed them after blocking prefix for cold conversion craft but im done with this character, so i think leaving 1 x suffix + 1 x prefix open for resale value is also good?)

My tips for beginners like me that also want to try out this build:

1. Follow the guide. It seems obvious but every time i came across a hindrence
there seemed to be a solution somewhere in those paragraphs that i had forgotten reading about. If this doesnt work, take your time after a long day of grinding and read through all the pages. Someone else probably had the exact same problem and got helped already.

2. Dont overcap resists like me, we have curse immunity from flask. I realised way too late.

3. Unspeccing Vaal Pact and bringing a Stone Golem helped me to do a quick Uberlab. (For people that hate traps)

4. Get Uber Lab quickly, Blitz is the difference between clunky and crisp.

5. Tell everyone how ethical you are because you are playing melee.

Cheers guys :)

Hi and ty for this extensive feedback! :D

Gear is very nice and Transcendant Flesh is a good add on too! You know what to do from here.
If you wan't to switch to updated version, you would have the room to get some more chaos resistance.
For the poison Conqueror use upgraded minor Pantheon of Shakari for poison immunity. He can be a nuisance.
Don't forget to put quality on amulet with Turbulent catalysts.
Also since I finished my char (need one more lvl though) I felt that damage is more than fine so I took Soul of Steel for amulet anointment to get more tanky.
Bought a few more upgrades:

Jewels are also pretty much final version (failed to links these here) but I did have to use resist on one of them.

Sitting on 5.6K hp / 2.3K ES / -11% chaos res. I did Sirus for the first time yesterday (20 stones) and it went well for a single target boss. Anything T16 with adds is easy and clear speed is through the roof.

I am probably going to end with soul of steel, higher quality on weapon, two more levels (for life), maybe a taste of hate (instead of life flask) and if I can find it one more item with chaos res. After that the build is 'done'.

Summary: allot of fun, balanced tank vs damage, endgame viable, requires some investment to start feeling good.

Last edited by foojin on Jan 15, 2020, 4:11:59 AM
"
"
Bryde wrote:
I don't want to be the crybaby about this build but ... I'm highly dissatisfied.
The numbers look fantastic on paper but considering the costs, this build is totally not working for me.
I got the 6L haegemons, the cold pen here and there and it's barely manageable. Sure, I can clear out a T15 or T16 without too much effort but bosses? Impossible. Downright impossible. They either just straight up oneshot me or the "leech" is not doing enough, the warcry is a nice gimmick but doesnt really help either.
I assume getting the pandemonium necklace is probably changing things up a little bit but at that point, this build would cost around 10-12 exa or something. Considering I have the worst "do it yourself no guide just BS" summoner that maybe has a price tag of ... 1 exa and is able to do the exact same thing, this build feels a bit like a money hole.

Impossible you say?

Here is a casual T16 boss and Metamorph on Awakening lvl 8
https://youtu.be/K9dec1K8NNI

Here is a full run on a tough T16 map with very hard boss (which gets frozen so you can shit on him) and Metamorph on Awakening lvl 8
Hard notable mods:
-14% maximum player resistance
Enfeeble (which kicks in when im out of warding flask, so damage drop)
32% more monster life
+49% monster elemental resistance

these two bolded mods strait up cuts my dps by 81% compared to the previous map
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLE8rlwboSE

Warcries are not gimmick. On Berserker they are so so powerful.
Your char is not finished and has sub-par gear compared to mine. Good attack builds (ranged or melee) require currency investment or they will perform underwhelming compared to spells, no need to mention summoners. Slapping a 6L just won't cut it.
But i wouldn't play summoner if someone payed me 12ex.
What can I say, either gear up or it's summoners I guess.

I would say they will eventually nerf summoners, but they just finished buffing them a few patches ago, so who knows. The reality is, until PoE 2 (or unless they re-work melee, again), spells are always going to be cheaper and easier. Learn to live with it or take the easy way out and be bored.

Don't we want 40 strenght in radius of the winter burial? there's only 30 on your tree
Got a question, and forgive me I am slightly new to POE. Wouldn't the cold penetration or added cold damage support beat out the melee physical damage gem? (especially the awakened versions)

I don't know the math for it though, and I said before excuse me I am slightly new to POE. Great build though by the way loving it. Strongest I have used yet.
"
t2greeleyt2 wrote:
Got a question, and forgive me I am slightly new to POE. Wouldn't the cold penetration or added cold damage support beat out the melee physical damage gem? (especially the awakened versions)

I don't know the math for it though, and I said before excuse me I am slightly new to POE. Great build though by the way loving it. Strongest I have used yet.

No, our phys gets converted to cold so phys damage gets bonuses from both phys and cold multipliers. Our helmet enchant gets no bonus from added cold. Damage conversion is a big mechanic that a lot of builds take advantage of so it's a good thing to learn about.
"
Mattakun wrote:

Don't we want 40 strenght in radius of the winter burial? there's only 30 on your tree

You have to have 40 in radius not allocated.
"
daason wrote:
"
t2greeleyt2 wrote:

No, our phys gets converted to cold so phys damage gets bonuses from both phys and cold multipliers. Our helmet enchant gets no bonus from added cold. Damage conversion is a big mechanic that a lot of builds take advantage of so it's a good thing to learn about.

Didn't know that thanks for repsonding!
Starting to get up there in level (87), missing some pieces of gear like the pandemonius, some jewel slots for more crit. But I am finding bosses can be tricky. In red tier maps they can take some time to die, can be worse for metamorphs.

More importantly, I find when I die during a boss fight and go back in, survivability is rough because I don't have blitz stacks yet. Is there a good tactic to make this situation easier?

Thanks! Overall I'm enjoying the build, just finding things tricky as I get further.
"
agm_ultimatex wrote:
Starting to get up there in level (87), missing some pieces of gear like the pandemonius, some jewel slots for more crit. But I am finding bosses can be tricky. In red tier maps they can take some time to die, can be worse for metamorphs.

More importantly, I find when I die during a boss fight and go back in, survivability is rough because I don't have blitz stacks yet. Is there a good tactic to make this situation easier?

Spoiler

Thanks! Overall I'm enjoying the build, just finding things tricky as I get further.

You will need better items overall for red tier. You need upgrade you chest first and craft gain 10% of max life as max es.
Last edited by TorsteinTheFallen on Jan 17, 2020, 3:25:52 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info