(Retired Thread) Wallach's Hierophant Freezing Pulse Totems

"
Viktranka wrote:
"
KubanitoS wrote:
However I'm seeing that my resists are going down if I have a curse on me that lowers them.
You aren't using coward's legacy by any chance? It increases the effect of curses on you that would counteract the reductions from kikazarus.

It's strange, on his character profile it shows him wearing a Coward's Chains rather than a Coward's Legacy, which shouldn't have the 50% Increased Effect of Curses on You modifier. But it seems like too much of a coincidence. I wonder if the Coward's Chains version of the item is not working correctly and still has that modifier even though it is only listed on Coward's Legacy.

Try taking the Coward's Chains belt off and see if it still occurs.
"
Wallach wrote:
"
Viktranka wrote:
"
KubanitoS wrote:
However I'm seeing that my resists are going down if I have a curse on me that lowers them.
You aren't using coward's legacy by any chance? It increases the effect of curses on you that would counteract the reductions from kikazarus.

It's strange, on his character profile it shows him wearing a Coward's Chains rather than a Coward's Legacy, which shouldn't have the 50% Increased Effect of Curses on You modifier. But it seems like too much of a coincidence. I wonder if the Coward's Chains version of the item is not working correctly and still has that modifier even though it is only listed on Coward's Legacy.

Try taking the Coward's Chains belt off and see if it still occurs.

Yes, you are both right. I was indeed using the Coward's Legacy, and after posting my question here I went over my items again and just then noticed the increased curse effect on the belt. I switched back to Coward's Chain and it was all well again. :)

Just for laughs: after upgrading the C. Chains to Legacy I noticed the increased damage, but also noticed that it was really easy to die. I thought the reason was the lack of the "unlucky hits from monsters" buffs and not the . lol

Edit: I have a cold snap + bonechill on CWDT in my wand. It isn't that good. Any suggestions for a 3 link skill?
Last edited by KubanitoS on Oct 21, 2019, 2:02:47 PM
"
ShallowBlue wrote:
Would Inspiration support be worthwhile in the main link, replacing Controlled Destruction?

I haven't been able to try it in PoB yet. While Inspiration has an inconsistent more multiplier, and only goes to 40% instead of 44% for Controlled Destruction, I think 100-150% inc crit chance makes up for it
Inspiration feels like a good choice, you benefit from all aspects of it - increased crit, more ele damage and reduced mana cost.

If you have spare links there's a trick that you can link cheap spell with inspiration and quickly rebuild to 5 stacks in a downtime, if both totem and another ability are linked with inspiration, they basically share charges and both benefit from it. So you can build charges with an "expendable" ability and benefit from the buff on your totems.

You just need to test yourself how much uptime are you getting on average with the inspiration charges, because that's fairly dependent on personal playstyle.

EDIT:
There's some change to inspiration in the upcoming patch. I don't fully understand if it's just a tooltip update or a functionality change. I hope they aren't "breaking" it for totem builds and it's just a clarification without any alteration to how it worked so far.

Totems are really expensive in mana cost so the reduced mana cost actually helps contrary to stuff like bow skills where it's only used for the damage buffs not the cost reduction. :( I really hope it's just a clarification in the same way as "totems cannot gain infusion" but if you use infused channeling on a totem skill with channeling property like divine ire or holy flame totem, it still buffs the damage.

This is the patch note btw:
"
Updated the description of the Inspiration Support gem to clarify that Minions, Totems, Traps and Mines cannot gain Inspiration Charges.
Last edited by Viktranka on Oct 21, 2019, 8:31:25 PM
Thanks for the build guide. In this league I was able to reach my goals, like my first time:
1) killing Uber Elder, it was not deathless (my mistake at dodging).
2) being able to do Hall of Grandmasters (deathless).
3) and be able to find my character in poe.ninja, even thought there might be less people playing in this league.

Currently my gears:

I did Uber Elder with Kikazaru rings thought, didnt try again with the current gears. And I'm using 3x Undying Evangelist, since I'm bad at dodging and once in awhile I lag a little. Next goals would be upgrading the gears, like double corrupt the chest; Empower lvl 4; better Watcher's Eye; and maybe trying to get weapon with +1 gem to cold spell + Gain elemental dmg as extra chaos.

Thanks again for the guide.
Hello, can any expert look at my profile of this build and tell me what my pj (FreezingBlight) looks like and any better meaningful thing I could do?
In this build it is not interesting to carry a golem to increase the damage or mitigate the damage received?
Thank you
"
FeniX_2917 wrote:
Hello, can any expert look at my profile of this build and tell me what my pj (FreezingBlight) looks like and any better meaningful thing I could do?
In this build it is not interesting to carry a golem to increase the damage or mitigate the damage received?
Thank you

I'm not expert, but in my opnion your next goal would be trying to get the "High Budget Options" of the guide. Getting Atziri's Reflection, removing Kikazaru Rings for Essence Worm with Hatred gem, etc.
As for Golem, not a lot people like it, because you need to resummon a lot of time, since it dies easyly. But if you dont have problem with it, you can use Lightning Golem or more defensive Chaos/Stone Golem.

Btw when you are upgrading your gear to High Budget Options, try to balance your 3 resists to the exact numbers. Because the best use of Wise Oak is having balance resists, so you take less dmg of the 3 elements.

Last edited by liuchia on Oct 22, 2019, 3:33:12 PM
As far as the Inspiration patch note for 3.8.2 - that is only a tooltip change. Totems already cannot gain Inspiration charges, because they cannot gain any form of charges other than Endurance charges. The other charges modify stats that your totems explicitly inherit from your character; they will benefit from Inspiration charges by you having them on your character, just like they do when you increase things like your spell damage or cast speed.

That said, I don't know really if Inspiration is a useful support gem for totems. The way the Inspiration mechanic works favors extremely low cost spells; the gem doesn't care how much mana you spend to generate a charge, but it does care how much mana you spend before it removes all of your Inspiration charges and forces you to generate new ones. We can't actually place that many sets of totems before it wipes Inspiration charges, and we don't actually build them that quickly either in the course of natural gameplay relative to much faster casting spells.

Still, spell totems like Freezing Pulse are not privileged with a great selection of support gems to choose from, so even if the average uptime is not great it may prove superior to our bottom couple damage gem choices (Increased Critical Strikes or Added Cold Damage). Even assuming the first of those is replaced by an Empower 4, it may still be worth dropping the other for Inspiration. I'm not currently really playing Blight league to test how the buff uptime looks in normal gameplay, but it's probably worth investigating.
"
Wallach wrote:
As far as the Inspiration patch note for 3.8.2 - that is only a tooltip change. Totems already cannot gain Inspiration charges, because they cannot gain any form of charges other than Endurance charges. The other charges modify stats that your totems explicitly inherit from your character; they will benefit from Inspiration charges by you having them on your character, just like they do when you increase things like your spell damage or cast speed.

Phew... I guess I don't have to worry.

"
Wallach wrote:
That said, I don't know really if Inspiration is a useful support gem for totems. The way the Inspiration mechanic works favors extremely low cost spells; the gem doesn't care how much mana you spend to generate a charge, but it does care how much mana you spend before it removes all of your Inspiration charges and forces you to generate new ones. We can't actually place that many sets of totems before it wipes Inspiration charges, and we don't actually build them that quickly either in the course of natural gameplay relative to much faster casting spells.

This build is more gem starved due to need of frostbomb than your other build (holy flame totem) which I'm playing this season, and unfortunately frost bomb has a cooldown as well so it can't be turned into easy "inspiration charge" generator.

Having a spammable secondary ability to re-stack inspiration charges with something else than the totem itself helped me a lot, but not sure if it can be fitted into this build.
Is this good enough to multicraft? Or should I throw an Annul on it? Got this after 3 alts.

edit: nevermind, I just looked at your sample weapon.
Last edited by IchiMorghulis on Oct 22, 2019, 9:35:03 PM
"
liuchia wrote:
"
FeniX_2917 wrote:
Thank you

I'm not expert, but in my opnion your next goal would be trying to get the "High Budget Options" of the guide. Getting Atziri's Reflection, removing Kikazaru Rings for Essence Worm with Hatred gem, etc.
As for Golem, not a lot people like it, because you need to resummon a lot of time, since it dies easyly. But if you dont have problem with it, you can use Lightning Golem or more defensive Chaos/Stone Golem.

Btw when you are upgrading your gear to High Budget Options, try to balance your 3 resists to the exact numbers. Because the best use of Wise Oak is having balance resists, so you take less dmg of the 3 elements.

Thank you.
I will try to get the "Budget Items" and balance the 3 resistances.
The build has a brutal damage I am very happy, it is the first league that tries to do Shaper and Uber Elder, and I have managed to kill the two on the first open map.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info