The $15 Necromancer pack includes

1) a new Necro class
2) 2 stash tabs
3) 1 pet
4) 1 wing
5) 2 extra characters slots
6) Portrait frame.

Lets see what PoE, the "people's champion" charges

1) 2 stash space ($3 each, $4 for premium)
2) Pet average $16
3) wing $32 average
4) 2 character slots $3 each

That's about $60 undiscounted. If we are generous & give a 20% discount as a package price. It's still $48!!!
Funny how I have to pay $60 + $40 + $15 for all the content in Diablo 3

And funny how you list cosmetics as content lol

everyone is oddly ignoring PoE is 100% free and requires $0 spent to get the same progress as someone who's spent $12,500 on it

weird how everyone's forgetting PoE is 100% free

but yeah Blizzard is 'reliable' lol

"
$60 Boost is not Pay to Win. You don't know WTF you're talking about. Leveling up hasn't meant much in MMORPGs for the past decade or so - particularly WoW and many others where leveling is trivial. $60 to save someone 20 hours of gameplay is a huge win for the company selling the boost, and a win for the consumer because they get to skip the worthless low level content. Games doesn't even play properly until you're at/near max level, so you can't even really learn much on the way up to there. Same issue in EQ/EQ2 and many other MMORPGs.

Sorry buddy, it's pay to win. Why are you defending pay to win? It's a weird habit, and it hurts gaming.

This is what pay to win is: Can somebody reach a point faster than me for spending money? In WoW, yes they can. It's pay to win. I'm surprised they don't go free to play since they have all the freemium concepts already in place.
Last edited by Imaginaerum on Apr 25, 2019, 1:11:09 PM
I've gotta say that it would probably be pretty smart to take 1 13-week cycle off from releasing a new league for the sake of releasing it, as you put it, and instead focus on fixing all the major, or maybe not even THAT major issues with the game, it would certainly help the game's quality alot. After the cycle of fixing is over, releasing a new league that was well through-thought and tested will feel a lot better... or even if it isn't as polished as it could be, having the rest of the game work flawlessly and as intended will still make the league feel a lot smoother in comparison.
Then again I think one major issue with synthesis atleast was simply that their league-prototype was ready for testing far too late this time, according to Chris Wilson that is...
bottomtext
"
wierdzodi wrote:
"
Imaginaerum wrote:
[
$15 necromancer for Diablo 3 (just the necromancer)

Blizzard is greedy(which mega gaming company isn't) but the D3 Necro is a poor example, 15$ for a full-fledged new class(more stash tabs and extras included) isn't comparable to the silly PoE support pack mtx prices.

Free to play game MTX prices and pay to play game MTX prices are sort of a different beast though. Sure buying stash tabs in PoE is more expensive, but you get the game and all the content expansions for free. While in D3 $15 for a character + $60 for the base game and $40 for the expansion. Also outside of stash tabs all the expensive MTXs in PoE are inarguably not providing any game play benefit.
D4 wins in the short term, but unless blizzard adds mtx or a subscription mechanic, say $5 a month, Blizzard will never update the game with new content, and everyone will leave again.
"
D4 wins in the short term, but unless blizzard adds mtx or a subscription mechanic, say $5 a month, Blizzard will never update the game with new content, and everyone will leave again.

Like they did with Diablo 2 after, what? Ten years?

I'm not saying Diablo 4 will last ten years, but if Blizzard makes a very good game, it WILL be popular. And even if the internet is full of hyperbolers, viewing Blizzard as servants of hell, they are still capable of making good games.

Hell, Diablo 3 still has players. So even a crap game can hold on to some players for seven years. What could an actual good game manage to do?

Some people WILL leave PoE for Diablo 4. Some will stay. Some won't. But it won't be the death of anyone. There's nothing screaming "STUPIDITY!" more than the urge for hypoerboling.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
I can't see Diablo 4 posing any real threat to be honest.

Diablo 3 had numerous problems from the outset, but if we ignore blunders like the auction house, most of the problems were and are only problems if viewed through the lens of what a fan coming from Diablo 2 would expect.

Diablo 3 is a pretty solid and enjoyable game. It's just too shallow, simplified, cartoonish and casual to appeal to the pre-existant audience; those players flocked to PoE where they were able, yet D3 still keeps chugging along thanks to it's "reinvention" attracting a whole other different type of player whom would be completely out of their comfort zone with PoE.

Blizzard has been asked about PoE several times; they always reiterate the same response: as far as Blizzard are concerned Diablo and PoE are not in competition with each other, because the games are designed to appeal to different types of players. As a result, both Diablo and PoE are going in seperate directions and should not realistically come into conflict in any major way.

What does that mean? I think it's pretty obvious: PoE's very existance has reshaped the landscape such that Blizzard are now in a position to feel no obligation in fixing the mistakes of the past with future games, and may actually feel it vindicates those design choices in Diablo 3.

Without PoE, Blizzard would have been under immense pressure to make D4 much more true to the first two Diablo games especially since fans did not get what they wanted from Diablo 3. With PoE things change somewhat.

Diabo 3 has a whole new generation of fans now; a more casual, different type of player than us. It's this type of player who Blizzard seem to be wanting to retain and nurture. That is painfully apparent, since the first Diablo-related announcement since D3 was a mobile game, likely even more casualized than D3, and using the exact same "cartoony" aesthetic from Diablo 3 which Blizzard has always known has never been well-liked among the more long-term fans.

It's Diablo Immortal, cash-grab or not, is aimed squarely at the sort of player who *currently* plays Diablo 3; not us.

And so it will also be with Diablo 4: the game is bound to target players who's only previous experience of Diablo comes from D3 and DI. It's likely to imitate the same visual style (or push further in the "more cartoony" stylized direction). It's liable to be super-streamlined and simple, because that's what "today's" Diablo fan expects and wants.

Blizzard may fear that any attempt to return to a style reminiscent of D2 could cause Diablo 4 to lose it's visual identity and be too visually similar to PoE. They may fear that such a change could alienate the new audience, with no guarantee that the old audience will come back in big enough numbers to keep the game alive.

The same could be said about the gameplay too: if Diablo 2 were released today, today's Diablo fan would be hopelessly lost, and the constant need to make actual meaningful choices would render the game mostly unplayable to them. In other words, if Blizzard decided to go against the industry-standard trend of simplifying their game more and more, and complexity was added to D4 rather than removed, those players would go running back to Diablo 3 or Diablo Immortal - games they at least understand - and Diablo 4 would flop.

So in a nutshell, I think Blizzard are in a very tight spot right now and the safest most viable option seems to be to fully commit to pushing Diablo 4 into the direction Diablo 3 started to steer it. In other words, from our PoV the franchise jumped the shark with D3 and seems destined to only get worse with each new entry.

Again though, I'll reiterate what I said at the start: that won't mean Diablo 4 will actually be a terrible or even bad game. It just means it won't be the sort of game that would interest *us* or hold our attention for long. It might be a brilliantly fun and enjoyable game for the month or two that it takes you to see and do everything - but it almost certainly won't be a game you return to every 3 months like we've grown used to with Path of Exile so any big impact it *does* happen to have on the PoE population will most probably be a temporary blip when the game is fairly new.
Last edited by UnclePobatti on Apr 25, 2019, 8:34:07 PM
"
Phrazz wrote:
"

Like they did with Diablo 2 after, what? Ten years?

I'm not saying Diablo 4 will last ten years, but if Blizzard makes a very good game, it WILL be popular. And even if the internet is full of hyperbolers, viewing Blizzard as servants of hell, they are still capable of making good games.

Hell, Diablo 3 still has players. So even a crap game can hold on to some players for seven years. What could an actual good game manage to do?

Some people WILL leave PoE for Diablo 4. Some will stay. Some won't. But it won't be the death of anyone. There's nothing screaming "STUPIDITY!" more than the urge for hypoerboling.

You can't compare games now to diablo 2. Diablo 2 was great for it's time, but content has evolved.
"
Imaginaerum wrote:
Funny how I have to pay $60 + $40 + $15 for all the content in Diablo 3

And funny how you list cosmetics as content lol

everyone is oddly ignoring PoE is 100% free and requires $0 spent to get the same progress as someone who's spent $12,500 on it

weird how everyone's forgetting PoE is 100% free

but yeah Blizzard is 'reliable' lol

"
$60 Boost is not Pay to Win. You don't know WTF you're talking about. Leveling up hasn't meant much in MMORPGs for the past decade or so - particularly WoW and many others where leveling is trivial. $60 to save someone 20 hours of gameplay is a huge win for the company selling the boost, and a win for the consumer because they get to skip the worthless low level content. Games doesn't even play properly until you're at/near max level, so you can't even really learn much on the way up to there. Same issue in EQ/EQ2 and many other MMORPGs.

Sorry buddy, it's pay to win. Why are you defending pay to win? It's a weird habit, and it hurts gaming.

This is what pay to win is: Can somebody reach a point faster than me for spending money? In WoW, yes they can. It's pay to win. I'm surprised they don't go free to play since they have all the freemium concepts already in place.

If you are paying 60+40+15 you are not a bright bulb since on their store without a sale the battle chest is $37 and 15 for the expansion which has more stash tabs and some MTX.
"
andreicde wrote:
If you are paying 60+40+15 you are not a bright bulb since on their store without a sale the battle chest is $37 and 15 for the expansion which has more stash tabs and some MTX.

Another thing people tend to forget is that Diablo 3 has unlockable stash tabs that you can earn for free simply for participating in a Season and achieving a high enough goal.

That said, as a long-time player of D3 I never really found myself in any position where I really needed extra stash space. That I'm still a F2P player deep into the Atlas with only the default 4 tabs and not feeling any real space pressure should tell you that I'm pretty economical with space normally - but Diablo 3 is not Path of Exile.

Because of "Smart Loot", and "Kanai's Cube", and the Blizzard insistance that every meta-build should be comprised mostly of easily obtainable set items, there really isn't a whole lot to fill up your stash in D3. Even the crafting mats eventually got shifted to their own dedicated compartment. When I played my stash generally contained a bunch of legendary gems, a handful of unique items and maybe a gem or two.

So despite stash space being essentially free, unless you're in a position where you absolutely need it (if you're working on multiple builds at the same time maybe, rather than rolling a solitary Wrath of the Wastes Whirlwind Barb like I did - can't stand the other classes), the benefit isn't all that meaningful.
Last edited by UnclePobatti on Apr 26, 2019, 4:38:19 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info