Consistent Lag spikes linked to specefic Australian backhaul internet provider

Vocus might not be the culprit but it looks like a good place to start troubleshooting at the very least.

There is only one Australian in this thread from a non-Vocus ISP reporting this issue.

Multiple people have switched from Vocus ISPs, myself included, and the issue has completely resolved.
Last edited by Xavierbane on Jun 18, 2019, 1:47:00 AM
Nvm, i'm not gonna argue. Please delete/ignore.
Last edited by therish on Jun 18, 2019, 3:50:15 AM
"
therish wrote:
"
Xavierbane wrote:

There is only one Australian in this thread from a non-Vocus ISP reporting this issue.

I'm having the issue on iiNet DSL & Telstra HFC, but it works fine on Optus 4G. None of those utilize the Vocus network.

Are you 100% sure you're having the same issue? Or is it possible it's a different one? Not that I don't believe you, just that you're the first person I've seen so far since march claiming to be affected that is not using a Vocus ISP. Of course it's entirely possible this means the issue has spread/Is spreading and is no longer isolated to Vocus..
Last edited by doomscyth3 on Jun 18, 2019, 2:44:16 AM
"
therish wrote:
"
Xavierbane wrote:

I'm having the issue on iiNet DSL & Telstra HFC, but it works fine on Optus 4G. None of those utilize the Vocus network.

Prior to this post you had not reported having the specific issue of this thread. You just mentioned having an "unstable connection" briefly at the end of your post and did not provide a WinMTR log so I had no reason to believe you were suggesting that you are affected by this.

In any case, no one is suggesting that 100% of Australians with latency problems are using a Vocus ISP. However, it seems that 100% of people who are using a Vocus ISP are having significant problems and that is why this thread was created.

It would be a shame to see this issue confused/hijacked now that we finally have GGG support staff responding.
Last edited by Xavierbane on Jun 18, 2019, 3:15:42 AM
Nvm, i'm not gonna argue. Please delete/ignore.
Last edited by therish on Jun 18, 2019, 3:50:25 AM
"
Yep & I am definitely not the only non-vocus customer reporting this issue. I've worked for all of these ISP's in question (still work for one of them now), this issue has re-occurred for Aussie players almost every league for the last few years. Absolutely none of this is new. Last year we were certain it was caused by the dodgy SMW3 undersea cables. The issue has never changed, but the data being reported changes almost every league. This time it's pointing to Vocus, probably because now their ASC cable is up & running so multiple ISP's are routing through that instead of SMW3 which is simply moving the congestion from one link to another.

I'm experiencing the same issue on Telstra 100Mb HFC, but it's perfectly fine on Optus 4G. However for my mates, it's completely unplayable on their 4G. That inconsistency proves that it's not isolated to the vocus network, and we're looking at a wider congestion or back-haul issue. Vocus may seem the most consistent right now, but it's not the only affected provider.

Very interesting.. This actually makes perfect sense. Personally, my (Telstra) 4G is absolutely fine - this is currently my go-to workaround to be able to play at night. Well then... I wonder what, if anything, can be done towards solving this? Seems like quite a tricky one.
Last edited by doomscyth3 on Jun 18, 2019, 3:41:33 AM
https://pastebin.com/qnY6m55Z

Here's mine, I'm using myport/gigafy.
"
Xavierbane wrote:
"
therish wrote:
"
Xavierbane wrote:

Prior to this post you had not reported having the specific issue of this thread. You just mentioned having an "unstable connection" briefly at the end of your post and did not provide a WinMTR log so I had no reason to believe you were suggesting that you are affected by this.

In any case, no one is suggesting that 100% of Australians with latency problems are using a Vocus ISP. However, it seems that 100% of people who are using a Vocus ISP are having significant problems and that is why this thread was created.

It would be a shame to see this issue confused/hijacked now that we finally have GGG support staff responding.

It is more likely a routing issue and less likely to be an ISP issue. It's probably more likely with certain ISPs because they might have similar routing tables, so they suffer similar issues, especially if it is due to congestion. Claiming that the thread is being 'hijacked' because people that do not use that ISP are reporting issues in Australia as well is just absurd, because the more facts the better.

They could be unrelated, but I don't think it is likely.
Last edited by Kurtov on Jun 18, 2019, 5:03:22 AM
Not sure if it is ok for me to post here (I haven't read the whole thread), but I have been having all sorts of spikes intermittently - I am good for a few seconds, then massive jumps (usually meaning I die) and then back to normal. This happens at all times (I tried at 3am this morning and still got them) and in all places in-game.

My ISP is Club Telco - I am not lucky enough to have NBN...yet. Haven't had issues like this in the past.

https://pastebin.com/8fc7KuTN

No idea if I was meant to run that with PoE open or not (but it was).

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
"
Kurtov wrote:
"
Xavierbane wrote:

It is more likely a routing issue and less likely to be an ISP issue. It's probably more likely with certain ISPs because they might have similar routing tables, so they suffer similar issues, especially if it is due to congestion. Claiming that the thread is being 'hijacked' because people that do not use that ISP are reporting issues in Australia as well is just absurd, because the more facts the better.

They could be unrelated, but I don't think it is likely.

Having read over my post it does come across a bit more strongly than I had intended.

Please understand that my comment about confusion/hijacking was made because it seemed like as soon as GGG started responding people were popping up from not only separate Australian ISPs to those mentioned in the original post and throughout the thread, but overseas as well, which was quite frustrating after having experienced these issues for so long.

If you think it is relevant then please ask the friends you mentioned earlier to post their issues/ISPs here and provide WinMTR logs.
Last edited by Xavierbane on Jun 18, 2019, 6:16:02 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info