[3.7] Champion Ice Spear Totem (Lazy Build For Delve 1000+)

Hello grandmasters, I have several questions on this build, please help me out.

1. Why do we go cast speed craft on the wand? It cost 1 ex, which is expensive.
Does cast speed increase the speed of laying down totems? If that's so good why don't use "profane wand" (14% cast speed implicit) instead of mace?

2. Also regarding weapon choice, there are some other wands with 40% spell damage, isn't that better than 24% elemental damage? What about the 6% penetration mace?

3. AFAIK, piercing does stack. So why don't we have 2-3 piercing pieces? Is 1 piercing enough for the Ice Spear to reach 2nd form? Is the helmet's Ice Spear enchant required for this to work?

4. How do you guys deal with Chaos damage and bleeding?
1. No, does not improve laying down totems. It increases Ice spear cast speed.
Mace gives Elemental damage, scales better than spell damage.

2. Wands require much int, like som wands require 210+ int.

3. Ice spear enchant? You mean lab enchant? It's not a must.
If you have pierce enchant on gloves/Head, you wont need the jewel.

4. Bleed flask..? I run Freeze/Bleed/Burn flask with Unique HP flask and Dying Sun. I swap the unique flask with Shock immune flask for some fights/maps.
In case cast speed is so good, what about profane wand with 14% cast speed implicit?
"
wildbodom wrote:
In case cast speed is so good, what about profane wand with 14% cast speed implicit?

It's good, but movement skills with wands aren't great. Sceptres let you use Leap Slam which I much prefer. But if you can live with flame dash then wands are good. And like the other guy said, mind the Int requirements.

here's a search independent of what item type it is. You don't have to do a 1ex craft, look at how these weapons are rolled to get an example of good weapons.

I did all 1ex crafts on my weapon (except flat lightning) because I was going for the most DPS I could get in the slot. There are lower tiers you can use that are almost as good though.
"
wildbodom wrote:
AFAIK, piercing does stack. So why don't we have 2-3 piercing pieces? Is 1 piercing enough for the Ice Spear to reach 2nd form?

Yes, it does stack and yes, usually 1 is enough to reach stage 2. I wouldn't bother with more.

"
wildbodom wrote:
Is the helmet's Ice Spear enchant required for this to work?

I used the jewel from act 5 that gives Pierce "Poacher's Aim", because the helmet slot is much better using Malachai's Artifice (until you get godtier helm). Basically using Malachai's is like having another link to your main links (30% damage) so better to give up a jewel slot for Poacher's.

"
wildbodom wrote:
How do you guys deal with Chaos damage and bleeding?

I don't notice bleeding because our base hp regen is pretty high. And never noticed chaos damage being a big problem.
Last edited by vegeto079 on Mar 26, 2019, 2:36:58 AM
Awesome answers, thanks a lot. Can you show your "all 1ex craft" weapon? I also want to go for an "most DPS I could get in the slot" one.
Also, can you give an example of a godtier helmet?
This is more-or-less godtier helmet, it only "barely" replaces Malachai's helm for me:

Malachai's gives:
-30% damage (basically a gem link)
-10% allres
This helm gives:
-Life
-Getting rid of Pierce jewel = another jewel slot (life, 5% dmg)
-Abyssal jewel (life, 5% dmg)
-Nearby enemy resistance (5% dmg)
-Enchant for faster stage 2 (hard to quantify)
So basically I'm losing 15% damage and 10% allres, gaining a lot of life, and getting the enchant. I wouldn't settle for much less for replacing Malachai's.

Here's the weapon:

The only feasible improvements I can think of are:
-Natural t1 cast speed
-Gain #% of Cold as Chaos instead of #-# flat damage
Last edited by vegeto079 on Mar 26, 2019, 1:11:06 PM
Thanks to all contributors to the guide. Much appreciated.

I have a question regarding positioning. It's my first totem build and I can't grasp the intricate details on how to position your totems for proper IS 2nd stage procs. Since totems taunt, melee mobs gang up on the totems and they deal less damage. How to battle that?

I want to accelerate my gameplay (to the extent that totems allow ofc), since I feel I'm playing slower than I could. Share your secrets, folks.
Hey guys ;)

I am a little confused. Just bought my 6-Link Soul Mantle..
Checked the guide, saw 2G 3B 1R on the feaured mantle.. crafted that with most of my chromes.
When wanting to switch my gems from the 5L to the 6L and add Multiple totems.. I noticed (Stupid me) That my 5 link (and the featured Gems in the Guide ^^) are 3G 2B 1R .... ^^

Now which setup are we supposed to use?
Ice Spear - inc. Crit - GMP - Cold Pen - Hypothermia - Multiple Totems
Or a setup with 3B? (What green gem to drop then? And for what?? ^^)

Talking about gems: Multiple Totems will lower my damage quite significantly.. is it worth it? (Still levelling my empower)
Or is going 3G3B an option too?

Thank you very much for your help in advance!

regards,
Rick
@vegeto079

Any reason why you chose elder base for helm? I dont see any elder specific mod on your? Or maybe you was hoping to get something from elder mod?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info