Please remove/repurpose the XP gain penalty

Couldn't the penalty for completing content over your level simply be removed while you are alone in your party (or better even, while all players in the party are within a certain level range)?

I indeed don't see why players should be penalized for completing content over their level if they are good enough to.

Why am I not surprised to see the same faces as usual trying to shoot down the idea rather than correct its flaws?
"
Couldn't the penalty for completing content over your level simply be removed while you are alone in your party (or better even, while all players in the party are within a certain level range)?

I indeed don't see why players should be penalized for completing content over their level if they are good enough to.

Why am I not surprised to see the same faces as usual trying to shoot down the idea rather than correct its flaws?

You shouldn't be surprised, it happens in every game. Casuals want core game mechanics to be removed to make the game easier, Non-casuals voice their disagreement. Nothing special or interesting here, just another Thursday.
"

This here is the problem. How do you discern is someone is good enough to be getting XP from enemies a significant number of levels above them?

The obvious response would be - if the player managed to kill them, then yes the player deserves the XP. The counter to that response lies in the ability we have to zerg-rush content.

Under that set of rules, if a loophole were used to allow a newly-created or fairly low-level character to take ownership of an Act 10 instance right out of the gate (due to shenanigans involving being in a party with a high-level who created the instance and then left... kind of thing) he'd probably die to the enemies fairly quickly. However, just as zerg-rushing can be used to defeat bosses through attrition, so could it be used to kill regular enemies via the same "respawn, do a bit of damage" cycle.

If a player did choose to zerg-rush an Act 10 area, and use incredibly tedious and cheap techniques to whittle-down enemy health over multiple respawns, would that player really deserve the "scaled to Act-10" level of XP that enemy would award, that would no doubt propel the player up 20-30 levels?

Also bear in mind that anyone performing such a trick would:

a) Not be suffering the 30% Resistance penalties from Act 5 Kitava
b) Not technically have made it to Part 2 via the normal course of defeating Act 5 Kitava, so wouldn't get any XP penalties on death

That would pretty much alter the meta to such that it would be most beneficial to do all your levelling via access to high-xp areas, during a point in the game where you're still (progress-wise) in Part 1.

Of course I have no idea whether that would at all be possible if the XP restrictions on high-level content were lifted, but it's a scary thought nontheless because even if that specific method wouldn't actually work, you can bet someone would discover a method which does.

"
Pobatti wrote:

- Prevents "power-levelling" by preventing characters from gaining XP while in areas far above their own level. Remove it and suddenly we'll get levelling services where newly made characters are taken into high-level zones and reach high levels incredibly quickly from leeching the XP the other, much stronger player earns.

This is already dealt with by the way exp is distributed between party members based on player levels. https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Experience#Party_play

"
Pobatti wrote:

- Prevents "bottom-feeding" ie. attempts to dramatically overlevel content simply by repeating incredibly easy content a rediculous amount of times. Not only would doing this cause gameplay to become excruciatingly dull, we would also start to see bots start to appear which do nothing but run predictable easy areas again and again.

It doesn't prevent bottom-feeding, it just encourages the use of bots. I don't use bots but I can imagine many do because of the penalty, especially with hardcore characters.

"
Pobatti wrote:

It's worth noting that the penalty only applies up to level 68. Once you reach that point, the game always considers you to be level 68 no matter how far ahead of the enemy-level you are, meaning you won't be penalized currency or XP from that point forward, as long as you don't go to areas with enemy levels lower than that.

Due to severe balancing issues, my HC SSF plan doesn't allow me to fight mobs above level 68. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1M4CxmenpKUGXNPyRoHgy-Q44CEG9IZY8HPu7opE9d5I/edit?usp=sharing
Last edited by TheNightFly on Jan 3, 2019, 3:04:07 PM
"

"flaws"

[Removed by Support]
"Your forum signature was removed as it was considered to be inappropriate and a breach of our Code of Conduct."

...it was quotes. from the forum. lolz!
"
robmafia wrote:
...are we all supposed to hit level 100 in the first day of the league, then?

Let me give you an example of how helpful and constructive your question is. Let's say the speed limit on a popular highway in your city or town is 5 mph. So I propose raising the speed limit to something more pragmatic like 65 mph. Then you come along and ask "...are we all supposed to hit 100mph getting to work everyday?". I hope this helps resolve your confusion.
Last edited by TheNightFly on Jan 3, 2019, 2:41:21 PM
...what?

do you not understand the current mechanics and what you're suggesting?
[Removed by Support]
"Your forum signature was removed as it was considered to be inappropriate and a breach of our Code of Conduct."

"
robmafia wrote:
...what?

do you not understand the current mechanics and what you're suggesting?

Pobatti already asked me that and even did the work of listing a couple of reasons. I have since posted my responses so I ask only that you please scroll up just above your previous comment and read it before assuming the worst.
Last edited by TheNightFly on Jan 3, 2019, 3:02:26 PM
lolwut?

assume the worst? what does that even mean? what's "the worst?"

you don't seem to even understand why the scaling exists if you think removing it would be remotely beneficial to the game.

yet... here, you are. rambling about bots and "the worst."

and talking about the currency penalty as if that's the xp gain scaling.
[Removed by Support]

Pobatti, I think that, if the experience penalty happened to be removed, it could be removed while adding a cap to the XP you can gain by killing a single monster, in order to avoid the situation where you kill a single overleveled monster and gain a bunch of levels at once.
I'll add to that that if someone was capable of skipping any of the Kitava fights, then they would already be doing so, despite the reduced experience gains, as the absence of the penalty is a massive advantage over other players.

Robmafia, the link you make between the suggestion and whatever you have against it is extremely unclear ("...are we all supposed to hit level 100 in the first day of the league, then?"). How are we supposed to understand what part of the suggestion you have an issue with? Would you mind expliciting that, please?

I hope that you understand how the failure to clarify that, combined to the multiple snarky comments, would make us see you as nothing but a troll, and that moderation may not be forever as lenient with you as it currently is.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info