[3.5] Occultist Vortex/Cold Snap ES/CI - Deathless and Safe Uber Elder and T16's

"
joyjoy88 wrote:
"
Bowberry wrote:

Painful process but once you finish either way it'll be very nice as it does add a good chunk of damage. Could buy one but they are really expensive!?! atm

Thx, I know that fossil one into minion dmg/full life dmg, used it myself, but for that DoT/cold dmg one, is there also fossil craft (like Aetheric+Frigid) or the classic alt/regal/multimod is best and easiest way of creating this beauty?

Fossil crafting might give you too many irrelevant mods alongside T1/T2 cold dmg multipier(and/or spell dmg, cold dmg if lucky) so it'll probs be harder for you to isolate it for multimodding. Anyways gl!
Last edited by Bowberry on Mar 7, 2019, 4:39:57 PM
"
Ragnarok37 wrote:
"
Monti_Jones wrote:
Spoiler
"
Opticazian wrote:
Im wondering due to mana reserve number,

Malevolence being a multiplicative mod number, is it going to out perform Aspect of Spider?

Mana reserve rate is gonna be high. May just have to Drop 1 curse out of the double curse setup.

Im thinking, Manev + Disp + Temp Chains (With Impresence). A few mana reserve reduction nodes.

Fitting in Malevolence seems to be tough and possibly not worth it. Damage numbers are still fine after all even without it.

From my knowledge, to run Malevolence you would need to:
- drop blasphemy curses and drop aspect all together
- if you want to keep a blasphemy curse, have a reduced reservation amulet of choice
- if you want to keep aspect, get Sovereignty nodes
- if you want to keep double course, use curse on hit or Bane

Either way you end up using up more sockets than you already are and we are already kinda starved on sockets. It would be nice if someone finds a way to fit in Malevolence but for me personally the costs seem too high.

While you are correct about the requirements, Solstice Vigil is a great fit for the build and takes care of the reservation for one defensive curse, which I found to be more than enough during the last league.
Beyond that, taking Sovereignty (and the reservation node below CI) does not cost you more points than taking the extra curse node would (as you no longer need the int node just below it), and actually frees up a socket for you since you don't need Enlighten Support anymore.

Overall I think it's mostly a question of whether you prefer the extra safety and versatility of the additional curse, or the extra damage output / area of effect of Malevolence.

Edit: As a note about using Despair instead of Malevolence, while it's a valid option, the aura doesn't require you to be close to whatever you are damaging, and provides AoE and duration instead of just damage. There's also the question of what sort of Watcher's Eye modifiers it will have, and how costly they will be.

You are right, Solstice Vigil is a nice fit. I would even argue other reduced reservation amulet options are too, if you want to run something specific. You are right on the socket part too, if you don't insist on keeping the double curses.

I was just thinking: if this build had enough damage to kill all the content in the game already, why should I give up one of the best defensive options - Enfeeble - in the game for even more damage? Especially since I don't plan to invest into other layers of defense.

You are right once more, it just comes down to preference. Hence I tried to list multiple options for people to consider. Please don't let my personal opinion deter you from any build choices :D

Concerning Watcher's Eyes: new options could be interesting, but good luck on getting your hands on a resonably priced Discipline/Malevolence jewel next league. Can't imagine them being cheap with all the chaos and ES hype.
"
Corrison wrote:
"
p4ndi0n wrote:
I updated my PoB to 3.6 and gonna use this: https://pastebin.com/hTCrbTL3
We can do a few variations on area dmg, more dmg, etc...

I see you have an extra DOT node over by Entropy. But it looks like you would get more DPS by choosing one of the Cold DOT multiplier over by Fingers of Frost. Is there a reason you chose to go this way?

Is true, thanks for the tip! I edited my pob and take another Cold DOT there and finish the tree at 93 :)
Last edited by p4ndi0n on Mar 7, 2019, 5:47:07 PM
"
p4ndi0n wrote:
"
Corrison wrote:
"
p4ndi0n wrote:
I updated my PoB to 3.6 and gonna use this: https://pastebin.com/hTCrbTL3
We can do a few variations on area dmg, more dmg, etc...

I see you have an extra DOT node over by Entropy. But it looks like you would get more DPS by choosing one of the Cold DOT multiplier over by Fingers of Frost. Is there a reason you chose to go this way?

Is true, thanks for the tip! I edited my pob and take another Cold DOT there and finish the tree at 93 :)

You're going to have to alter it a bit for Resourcefulness and Fangs of the Viper spot. Bex just released a picture of the tree being shuffled slightly in that area.
"
Wrong_Turn wrote:

You're going to have to alter it a bit for Resourcefulness and Fangs of the Viper spot. Bex just released a picture of the tree being shuffled slightly in that area.

Xbox Gamertag - Corrison
Mixer - https://mixer.com/Corrison
When leveling do you folks go straight for the ES tree? I haven't leveled CI in ages but I recall going for some life and then respeccing out of it. How easy is it to go straight for the ES tree while leveling? Seems to also lack for damage while leveling which could also slow you down.
looks like we have to take an extra node or so?
"
daimonxp wrote:

Unless i'm looking at it wrong, this is a buff for us. They removed an Int node that was there before. Now we'll just grab the one damage node on our way down.
"
aqrunnr wrote:
"
daimonxp wrote:

Unless i'm looking at it wrong, this is a buff for us. They removed an Int node that was there before. Now we'll just grab the one damage node on our way down.

Lets hope no more surprises we don't know about. But yeah looks like we have to take an extra node there to get to damage over time.
The damage auras are a great addition, I'm thinking of mana reservation nodes then discipline + malevolence/zealotry + enlighten then either arctic armor with es helm or maybe frostbite with heretic's veil. I don't really mind the lack of defensive curses, In betrayal I just used vigil + vigilant strike for 35 second fortify with arctic armor, with emergency vaal discipline was good enough for me to handle all content including 4-5 members in a safe house, uber elder almost deathless(so far 3 kills took 12 deaths -> 3 deaths->1 deaths, new league goal of deathless). The immortal call change/bugfix is a buff too right? I think that's good enough defensively for me personally. If I can get a prism shield, and a shavs wrappings 6 linked, I'm definitely going malevolence+zealotry+discipline on the shield and then I have mana for frostbite+arctic armor and what other auras/curses. Overall more flexibility for defense or offensive curses/auras this next league which is pretty nice.

On another topic, conc effect on vortex does more damage but actually annoying to clear mobs with in maps, with the aoe nodes added I think i can get pre conc effect aoe and clear fine now which is great for me personally.

In the game of POB, removing spiritual aid to free nodes to get mana reservation nodes was an option I chose when started stacking auras for LL to make use of hp and mana pool for more auras. Very janky and with Arcane will having 4% of mana becomes energy shield makes pathing through the life/mana% more worth it, since mana issues at endgame, it makes it easier for me to go through the middle of the passive tree without going from the bottom or top and just getting extra int nodes instead.

Anyways thank OP for making a great guide, learned a lot with this as my 2nd char on my first league of this game, especially that crafting guide even if it's incomplete, it gave good insight for me. Going to continue on next league but as a league starter this time.

I ran a janky build in betrayal.

CI gear:
Last edited by Zenos456 on Mar 8, 2019, 1:12:00 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info