Anger

There's really nothing you can add to auras as far as supports are concerned. They don't do damage, so you can't add damage to them. You've got a choice between Blood Magic and/or Reduced Mana Cost. I believe Increased Area of Effect works as well, but I'm not positive.
TehHammer is not a crime!
FYI, linking auras with totem also works, which is interesting.

Edit: also interesting, casting an aura totem costs the same amount of mana it would cost to maintain that aura. For example, a 40% reserved totem linked with 200% cost totem gem costs 80% of your mana to cast.
Urist McDwarfy has been happy lately. He admired an exceptional ARPG recently. He took joy in slaughter lately. He has been attacked by the dead recently.
Check out the Path of Exile wiki: http://en.pathofexilewiki.com
Last edited by UristMcDwarfy on Jul 12, 2012, 1:46:28 AM
"
MegaDeth666 wrote:
"
Zaanus wrote:
You ever consider that you have too many damage stats adding to different effect types? It's pretty confusing for a player.

Global chat: Mechanics for A work one way, B for another, C for a third but also with A, B uses C but not A, and D uses A&B but not C

New player: huh?

It could also help to visually represent what works together and what doesn't through the UI better.

Ha, exactly my gripe with the various stats and perks in this game. And, to be frank, this split of skills that boost A and C but not B is generally detrimental to gameplay.

Take D3's system, every skill in the game including auras or summons use the casters dps as a baseline for damage, this way every skill in the game has its place and if one is intended only for summons then it will specifically target them in its description.

However, in PoE, many skills and/or item properties are confusing for no apparent reason. Why does my Axe have 5% crit but the skill I swing the axe with 6% crit ? It makes absolutely no sense... And what crit do my minions have ? Would increasing my spell crit increase their spell/melee crit ? why/why not ?

Streamlining this convoluted mess would help everyone and would also allow for more diverse builds since many skills are locked to their archetype right now for no apparent reason ...

please refrain from mentioning diablo 3's skill system in a way that suggsts it was better in any form or fashion than this one. D3's skill system is flawed in so many ways it's rediculous. From the 2-3 viable builds which really only change 1 or 2 skills , to the fact it works on your weapon dmg making every class item dependant, to the poor scaling of everything that's not damage, to the no elemental effects ect. I understand the concept of specialization is new for some players, but it's not like it's complicated and it allows you to play the way you want to play If you feel node a effects b and d but not c, and you want c as well .. look around and i bet you will find one that has that as well
"
Kubae420 wrote:

please refrain from mentioning diablo 3's skill system in a way that suggsts it was better in any form or fashion than this one.

The fact that all item effects and all passives worked how they said on everything that is an attack, is better. There being no split between spells and physical attacks in terms of how effects are triggered, is better.

Here there are entire categories of effects and passives that don't work at all with spells. Even the ones that say spells don't always work. That +Spell Damage doesn't work on a Minion Spell.

Throwing out the whole D3 system because there are parts you don't like is silly. For instance I don't like how heavily it relies on weapon damage, and think it's a short sighted design choice, but I do like that I don't have to sit around guessing if something will work nearly as much.
"
Rangoric wrote:
I don't like how heavily it relies on weapon damage, and think it's a short sighted design choice, but I do like that I don't have to sit around guessing if something will work nearly as much.

To be more precise, it's a crap design, nothing preventing you from slapping a two-handed sword on your mage and counter-intuitively do more damage with spells. It takes a lot of work to properly balance weapon-based and skill-based damage, blizzard took a lazy man's route with D3.

The only thing this game needs on that account are more verbose tooltips or or some sort of graphic indicators which will probably come in time. Besides, not like it's THAT difficult to figure out, Sacred 2 had some skill mods that were tested over and over and it was still difficult to tell if they had some use or not, or sometimes even what they actually do.
Respect your passive skills and they shall respect you in turn.
Last edited by raic000 on Jul 23, 2012, 8:40:01 AM
"
Rangoric wrote:

The fact that all item effects and all passives worked how they said on everything that is an attack, is better. There being no split between spells and physical attacks in terms of how effects are triggered, is better.

Here there are entire categories of effects and passives that don't work at all with spells. Even the ones that say spells don't always work. That +Spell Damage doesn't work on a Minion Spell.

Throwing out the whole D3 system because there are parts you don't like is silly. For instance I don't like how heavily it relies on weapon damage, and think it's a short sighted design choice, but I do like that I don't have to sit around guessing if something will work nearly as much.

PoE is the game for math and science majors. D3 is the game for marketing majors. I personally prefer the complexity of the systems in place in PoE 1,000,000% more than the dumbed down systems in D3, but some friends I know enjoy D3 precisely because it's easier to understand what makes the numbers go up.
Isn't this supposed to be about the _SKILLGEM_ anger ?
"
Rangoric wrote:
"
Kubae420 wrote:

please refrain from mentioning diablo 3's skill system in a way that suggsts it was better in any form or fashion than this one.

+spell dmg node increase YOUR dmg , not minions (otheriwse it would say +minion spell dmg), its just showing its not the system thats hard, you cant read/understand

The same with life on hit given to minions f.e minions will ge this hp for themselves not for you...

My Item Filter : http://pastebin.com/7AsWX5jb
Last edited by Olej on Aug 3, 2012, 7:07:10 AM
A lot of the D3 skill system is better things seem moot to me... D3's system is pathetically simple even compared to D2, Path of Exile's is more complex than D2's by far and personally, at present I'm enthralled... looking at the different ways to focus and build different characters to be -effective- without being identical to my last one, or play exactly like everyone else.

On the note of Anger...

I find I like the aura and it is helpful, especially for Ground Pound/Smash (can't remember the exact name, lol) because of its generally lower damage than my single target attacks.

When I first got Anger it really felt like that 40 mana reserve you lose when activating it is a big hit to take... at least at lower levels. It feels that way -occasionally- now in the 17/18 range on my Marauder, but I'm aware it will improve as I level. Also, having 2 large mana flasks that give instant mana recovery negates basically all of my issues I was having with it running out, or getting very low on large mob packs.

I wouldn't mind seeing a -small- bump in its damage, but as a pure support gem to help give a little 'oomph' it is nice as is. :)
"
TPxErebus wrote:
To bring the discussion back to the main topic...
In my opinion Anger seems to be very underpowered compared to other +dmg aura skills like e.g. "Hatred".
I was testing around a bit with builts based on faster attack speed, +%fire dmg on multiple characters and other things but I was never able to discover a situation where Anger would offer at least close to the damage increase like hatred does.
Don't forget that both skills lock 30% of the mana and for the same cost i would prefer Hatred anytime over Anger, not even mentioning the benefits of possible freeze/ slow effects from the cold dmg.
My conclusion would be either to drasticaly reduce the cost of the Anger aura to equal out cost and benefit of this skill or to raise the dmg bonus by a lot that Anger can compete with other dmg auras like Hatred.

I might point out that you're possibly thinking about this entirely wrong.

Anger is *awesome* for pets builds, because it doesn't care what the pet's base damage is. Hatred, otoh, is crap for those builds. And most pets users are going to get hurt a lot more by Hatred's 30% reserve than Anger's fixed reserve.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info