Burning Arrow

"
I've really grown to loathe this skill the more I've used it. "Jank" is too kind. Level 1 Frenzy outperforms it.

Let's talk about ignite and Fireball/Fire Trap and why it's so awesome. You get a lot of multipliers:

Base Damage = Spell Damage (2 to 3) * Concentrated Effect (1.7) * Reduced Fire Resistance (2.2, Flammability, Elemental Weakness, Fire Penetration. Whispers of Doom is hardly Dex adjacent.) = 9.35 *

Burn Damage = Base Damage * Additional Burn Damage(1.8, from the skill grid alone) * Reduced Fire Resistance (2.2, resistance applies to burn damage if it hasn't been changed already.) = 3.96 * 1/3 Base Damage a second

Lv.17 Fireball Total Per Hit: 2524.5 + 3332 damage a second for four seconds, ~14k a hit. With basically a nood character.

As opposed to this passive build:
+36% inc projectile damage
+60% inc fire damage
+90% inc elemental damage
+80% inc physical damage (this includes passive Strength for Iron Will, but not Strength from gear)
+50% more projectile damage (Point Blank, close range)

Burning Arrow has Fire Pen, Added Fire, Weapon Elemental equipped.
Calculated at level 17.
66% physical added as fire
48% inc physical
77% more elemental damage

Equipment is Chin Sol, Blackgleam, and some unique that allows extra curse (ring or boots). Anger aura is used (17 again).
50-152 base physical
66-119 base fire
50% physical damage converted to fire
+100% more projectile damage (Chin Sol, close range)

25-76 physical, discarded for burn calculations
58-176 base physical-to-fire * (1+.36+.6+.9+1.24) = 238-722 ending physical-to-fire
66-119 base unconverted fire * (1+.36+.6+.9) = 189-340 ending unconverted fire
427-1062 ending fire * 1.77 * 1.5 * 2 * 2.2 = 4988-12406 final fire damage on initial hit (8697 average)

In terms of your burning damage, you counted Fire Penetration in the burn, but burn doesn't "hit" so Fire Penetration doesn't apply; of course, it doesn't apply for BA either. But the point is, Burning Arrow with some item support can do considerably more base damage with a higher ignite chance and 100% increased burn damage (20% increased is built into the skill).

And I didn't even stack +fire on gloves/rings/amulet or anything like that. Speaking of, you could support an extra curse for either by getting the right ring or boots; actually traveling to Whispers is totally optional.

The issue here is build and item dependency. Without Chin Sol and Point Blank, damage is cut to a third; they're all but necessary. You might be able to find a rare quiver that outperforms Blackgleam, but it's unlikely at best.

Still, it's pretty clear that, given great gear, BA has more potential than Fireball, so calling it jank is unjustified.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Mar 29, 2013, 12:39:02 AM
Alright, your disappointing Infernal Blow numbers have convinced me to downgrade it from "jank" to "donkey diarrhea".

Just astonishingly terrible. Newb trap at its worst.
"
disappointing Infernal Blow numbers
"donkey diarrhea".
Newb trap at its worst.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Mar 30, 2013, 10:08:07 PM
"
Danny wrote:
I suspect that with a certain specific set of gear, passives, and support gems, this skill could be incredibly powerful. Don't quote me on that, but (in the small amount of time I have) I'll be exploring it. I might stream my attempts but if nothing else I'll at least update you on my progress.

it is correct , have a lvl 82 burning arrow templar and am wrecking maps , can post my gear/passive tree someday pherhaps.

quick hint

helps out a lot
Last edited by khemintiri on Apr 22, 2013, 8:11:28 AM
"
khemintiri wrote:
"
Danny wrote:
I suspect that with a certain specific set of gear, passives, and support gems, this skill could be incredibly powerful. Don't quote me on that, but (in the small amount of time I have) I'll be exploring it. I might stream my attempts but if nothing else I'll at least update you on my progress.

it is correct , have a lvl 82 burning arrow templar and am wrecking maps , can post my gear/passive tree someday pherhaps.

quick hint

helps out a lot

I'd appreciate if you could post your build. I recently got a blackgleam and I'm debating whether to do a BA build, but BA builds don't seem very popular/liked so I don't have much to work with.

This is what I'm using on my 58 Burning Arrow Templar... I didn't really think there was an option for anything other than Lioneye's Paws.

I think with a 6L Lioneye's Glare bow this build would be stupid good.

Edit: My Planned Passive Skill Tree
Visit the Path of Exile Wiki at http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/
Last edited by Danny on Apr 23, 2013, 5:18:44 AM
oki , ill post the build i guess , this is my skilltree

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUAAdwCcQSzBVsMfRB_EmkUTRZvFxwZLhmFGjgabBv6JIskqiftKS4pTzJ-Mok2xTbYNuk62DrhPC09Dz38RtdN2E3jUFBUSVXGV-JYY13GXz9uqnF5cql35XgNerh8uHy7fNmIG4jxi4yMdozPj0aQVZ2uogCkGaZXpwinhKlurFmsqq6TtQS18rc-uJO53b6KxPbGnsauxtjPZdDQ1I_YJNrd4XPjauQi51LnY-w47FXtIO8O74XwH_Fs8i_yRfPd9kj9z_4K_o8=

i use dual curse , flammabilit7elemental weakness , this adds way more damage then lioneyes ,
i was using lioneyes before but as i now use an astramentis i dont need the dex anymore .

my current gear is

and currently i want to 5 link (pref 6link for the knew increased burning damage gem)
infractem as i have a kaom's waiting to be used.

i have also been thinking about lioneyes bow with a 20% pierce gem but as the new burning damage gem has come out i will stay with infractem and use that one instead.

upgrades im looking for is more accuracy , and dex on rings/gloves so i can skip resolute tecnique.

but seriously though , infractem is incredibly powerful , you shoot an arrow and kill a whole room of enemies .

Imo it's what makes my build good , this build does maps fast and killing bosses is so incredibly easy when you only really need to hit them a few times to kill them instead of having to dodge attacks or be in scary situations.

khemintiri, what is the purpose of using Infractem?

I look at it and don't see much useful modifiers.

A mediocre rare bow with similar + increased phys damg % and some + added fire dmg would have much better damage.

Not to mention something like Chin Sol, which will do around 3 times more dmg if you shoot it at some enemy in close range.
100% pierce? Well you have ele proliferation, you really need pierce with it? Burning will spread regardless.
Increasing Field of View in PoE: /1236921
"

piercing = useful. with it, you don't rely on chance to ignite as much, you get multiple attempts per shot
"
Not to mention something like Chin Sol, which will do around 3 times more dmg if you shoot it at some enemy in close range.

makes you rely heavily on chance to ignite. flammability curse required. solo? no problem. party? no good. party>solo
"
khemintiri, what is the purpose of using Infractem?

A mediocre rare bow with similar + increased phys damg % and some + added fire dmg would have much better damage.

100% pierce? Well you have ele proliferation, you really need pierce with it? Burning will spread regardless.

the 100% pierce from infractem helps out alot , you hit 1-2 rooms of enemies , with curses up all blue/white mobs without high fire res just burns down , thats 1 arrow.

i can't imagine my build without an infractem , before increased burning damage came i was thinking about a high % pierce gem and another bow for endgame, but now that seems redundant as the damage is good enough from infractem

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info